Uncanny X-Force #23

#1 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

The Good

If you've been reading UNCANNY X-FORCE since the team has been on Otherworld for the trial of Fantomex and have found yourself slightly confused, this issue might explain a lot of things that have been going on. Think that the appearance of Jamie Braddock in this series has been a little, well, weird? virtually everything is cleared up in this issue. Oh, and it's guaranteed to blow your mind a little bit, too. So lets look at what was good about this issue. The book opens with a flashback from when Brian, Jamie and Betsy were kids. While opening the book with this scene may seem a strange way to start the issue, Remender makes a point to bring the theme seen in these first few panels full circle by the final page of the book. Although Psylocke has shown some hesitation when it comes to murdering people in the past, she is to a certain extent "quite a killer." By the end of the issue you might find yourself wishing that Marvel would make Ms. Braddock their next Captain Britain; she's that fearless in this issue.

Remender gives readers another fantastic portrayal of character interaction in this book. From the interactions between Betsy and her two brothers, to the interaction between Nightcrawler and Meggan, to the reveal of Betsy's underlying sentiments towards Fantomex ( "They're all in danger because I refused to help them fight -- because I came to save you.") Remender's ability to develop both the plot and his characters simultaneously is brilliant and I continue to be impressed.

The Bad

Unfortunately, I continue to have an issue with the art in this book. With so much action, I feel that crisper lines and less abstract panels would have helped the reader follow the story. Instead, this issue has a watercolor over watercolor pencils and little to no inks. The result is pretty, but doesn't seem practical for the story that the creators are trying to relay. Sometimes to get a scope of the chaos of battle the panels need to be clear.

The Verdict

Issue #23 is the final chapter of the "Otherworld" story arc. This is a solid ending to an overall solid story, but I am a little bit glad to see it end. It was, in my opinion, not as enthralling as the previous story arc (Dark Angel Saga). Then again, that story might be hard to top. This story arc managed to develop a lot of these characters, made some big changes to the status-quo of the Marvel universe, and for the most part kept me at the edge of my seat. I'm definitely looking forward to the start of the next story arc and I'm hoping it will involve Fantomex taking a trip to the plastic surgeon. Poor guy.

#2 Posted by papad1992 (6832 posts) - - Show Bio

So Fantomex now has something in common with Deadpool... a disfigured messed up face!!

#3 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

is this title still worth getting..i stopped reading it after dark angel saga. was kinda cool..but is it just as good or has ti lost its touch?/ cause i hear mixed things?

#4 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (832 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529: This is what it's called a miss story arc. The series has been good up to this point. That's fine, every writer has to have an off issue or arc. What Remender is planning now is well worth the get. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37357

Thank goodness this arc is done. The art has been the big turn off through out this story arc. On to Final Execution!!!!! Omega Clan, New Brotherhood. Can't wait.

#5 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

@CombatSpoon86 said:

@zackattack529: This is what it's called a miss story arc. The series has been good up to this point. That's fine, every writer has to have an off issue or arc. What Remender is planning now is well worth the get. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37357

Thank goodness this arc is done. The art has been the big turn off through out this story arc. On to Final Execution!!!!! Omega Clan, New Brotherhood. Can't wait.

alright cool, so basically i can pretty much start next issue right???

#6 Posted by TheOlympian (111 posts) - - Show Bio

Psylocke. Officially the baddest chick in the Marvel Universe.

Up until this issue, this arc was kinda blah and confusing and seemingly aimless. It wasnt the best arc, but this issue did pull at a few heartstrings. Unexpected reveal and execution. I'm really curious to see where this leaves Brian and Betsy's relationship.

#7 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheOlympian said:

Psylocke. Officially the baddest chick in the Marvel Universe.

Hell yes to that.

#8 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

That last line of dialogue from Betsie pretty much summed up what X-Force is all about. I was afraid that Remender might rush the ending, but this issue didn't feel that way; it's probably due to the fact that I couldn't give two sh*ts about the skinless man. What I didn't understand was how Jamie was so easily offed by the Psylocke possessed Captain Britain, when, from what I know, he is a reality manipulating mutant. You can't simply break the guy's neck, when his is capable of shaping worlds. Then again, I always hated that Freddy Mercury wannabe Braddock.

#9 Posted by WolfMonkey (302 posts) - - Show Bio

I almost was royally pissed when halfway through some random gods showed up to just set things straight out of nowhere. Then i was relieved to find out that it was just a misdirection. I hate deus ex machina so much

#10 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved this arc.

#11 Posted by Solarflare32 (393 posts) - - Show Bio

Unfortunately since the skinless man escape he will probably be back

#12 Posted by Solarflare32 (393 posts) - - Show Bio

My only problem with the skinless man is he throws the time frame of fantomex into question.

#13 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

All I know is any comic that drops a Candlebox reference in 2012 is okay by me.

#14 Posted by LordXorn (34 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue was a massive step up from the last (I read them back to back since I couldn't get last months till yesterday), and overall it's been an ok arc, probably suffered from following on from Dark Angel though.

The art though seemed to do its damdest to make it hard to understand what on Earth was going on sometimes.

#15 Posted by Lifeguard85 (392 posts) - - Show Bio

The art needed to be more detailed, much more detailed to actually do the story justice.

Other than that, I liked the arc, not the best, but solid still.

#16 Posted by Abattoir_Noises (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually love the art in this chapter , much better than the art in the first half of the Dark Angel Saga in my opinion. Also, I am unfamiliar with Otherworld and the Captain Britain Corps., so the art only complemented the fantastical nature of the story for me. The Skinless man was creepy cool, seems like he'd be a blast to draw, and what he did to Fantomex was pretty gnarly. Really not trying to play devil's advocate here, just seem to be in the minority. However, it's the solid characterization that makes this my favorite book. Perhaps this was a fill in arc, but the stakes were high and repercussions real. Excited to see what's next for X-Force, who is doing the art next go round?

#17 Posted by zombietag (1497 posts) - - Show Bio

i was a bit upset when fantomex just "put his face back on." i mean cmon, youre just gonna slap it on there and put your mask back on and go home? thats ridiculous.

on the other hand i am ready to see the arc end and move on. this has been my least favorite UXF arc and i hope the next one picks up again

#18 Posted by zombietag (1497 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking said:

All I know is any comic that drops a Candlebox reference in 2012 is okay by me.

#19 Posted by vicioushero (163 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: No he'll be fine he has a healing factor.... I think

#20 Posted by papad1992 (6832 posts) - - Show Bio

@vicioushero said:

@papad1992: No he'll be fine he has a healing factor.... I think

It's a gross image to have in ur head... eww!!

#21 Posted by Unknown_Blitz (7 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed the plot/story in this arc but man the art ,especially in this issue, was just...meh. (to be nice about it)

#22 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

The arc would have fared a lot better if the art was different.

It wasn't bad, it just wasn't fitting.

#23 Posted by insheepsclothes (169 posts) - - Show Bio

i know its a late post 4 this review, but i just read this book yesterday and had to make a remark about the art....it was horrendous!! its seldom that i read a comic where i say out loud how terrible the art for the book is, and this book did just that. terrible, terrible panels on every page. i know it was watercolors & not traditional pencils & inks, but damn, they really screwed the pooch on this one. with an awesome series such as this...with an awesome writer such as Remender who's really hitting his stride with the book, i felt it an injustice to pair him w? an artist that was so clearly terrible...btw this & the issues of FF w/ art by Bobillo, Marvel has taken 2 good books w/ some of their best writers and paired them w/ the worst possible artists....booo i say....boooo!!!!! its quite remarkable that they have artists of such poor quality ion their stable.....*gets off soap box*

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.