caladbolglight's Uncanny X-Force #15 - Tabula Rasa review

Tabula Rasa

The Story

Pestilence tries to give Psylocke a pep-talk about Archangel, to tell her that she is privileged to be his chosen one. Betsy really isn't impressed. Among the ruins of the previously destroyed small town, Archangel, Dark Beast, Genocide, Famine and Death plant both the life seed and The World. They use the combined energies to evolve the area where the town was, and they mean EVOLVE. By about 200 million years. Both above and below ground. They want Archangel to rule them all. The land takes on an Avatar-esque look. Back in the world, Ultimatum watches their progress next to the now 4817 day old (13 years) growing En Sabah Nur. Betsy tries to escape from the Akkaba Metropolis but is stopped by the AoA Blob. E.V.A locates Archangel and Fantomex, Deadpool and Deathlok pursue him. It appears that Fantomex is now the interim leader of the group. While Archangel and Fantomex trade blows and Famine quickly takes down Deadpool. Deathlok decides to go all out and trades control of his body over to his organic-psychopath self. He quickly frees Deadpool and beheads Death. When Genocide arrives, Jean-Philippe decides to scram. Back at E.V.A, Deathlok performs a rather brutal (though successful) interrogation on Famine. He spills the location of the Akkaba base. Archangel visits the Dreaming Celestial to gather a Death Seed to chose his successor. And the winner is...Psylocke!

The Good

As per usual Remender's writing and Opena's are both fantastic and awesome. Archangel is easily one of the best villains out there. I get the feeling that he will turn good again, given that he's such a popular character, but the story makes it feel like he really is irredeemably bad. I LOVE how this entire series is basically one big story. It really makes you feel like everything is relevant.

The Bad

For some reason I wasn't as crazy about this issue. I don't like how they brought back Blob, partially because I think that there are so many more interesting people to bring back and also because he looks disgusting and it's not fun to see him. Archangel, as good of a villain as he is, seems kinda weak, compared to the multiple-powered Apocalypse. Are metal wings really that great.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Betsy. I kinda hope that she does become Death, though we know that no matter what, she'll be part of X-Force (Regenesis). This issue I thought was kind of strange, maybe because I thought that Archangel's M.O wasn't the greatest, and that the events of last issue left for a killer cliffhanger that wasn't exactly what I was expecting. In the end though, it's an excellent issue and I can't wait to see what comes next!

Posted by Timandm

The Bad

Exactly what I was thinking.... I wonder if, perhaps, the story has just become too long and convoluted. It's been going on for five issues now, so can't we have some resolution? I can understand the need for long story arcs, but I get the impression that this is one of those stories that's going to have all these cosmically outlandish subplots, characters, events and yet it's going to have to have a quick uneventful ending...

Like Age or X, you have a large elaborate story/event and then BAMN it's all for nothing... I think we're getting set up for that again.

Posted by caladbolglight
@Timandm

To be honest, I don't think that we're thinking the same thing. I agree with you that it does have a risk of becoming like that, though I think that it won't. Remeder's writing has been good enought that I think that that really isn't an issue. I'll be far more concerned if Remender leaves the series. I like the way that it's all connected. And yet if you were to read a single issue, it would make relative sense. Also, this series is one of the more popular ones, so I think that we run no risk of it all being cancelled.

Posted by The Lobster

@caladbolglight said:

@Timandm: If I were to add one thing, it would be that I just noticed something. The point of X-Force is to eliminate any risk to mutant-kind, and yet they've only really tackled one...I would like to see them take on more than just Apocalypse, no matter what form he takes.

You forgetting when they tried to take down the Shadow King from blowing up Utopia with nuclear bombs? or what about Lady Deathstrike and the Reavers from launching a full scale attack on Utopia? or what about the army of time traveling Deathlok soldiers?

All of those seem like very big threats to mutant kind.

Posted by Namor1987