no_name_'s Uncanny X-Force #11 - Journey to the Age of Apocalypse review

X-Force Meets Age of Apoc.: And It Is Good

In order to save Warren from being overcome by Apocalypse, X-Force must travel to the Age of Apocalypse...

The Good

Okay, every time I review X-Force I go on and on about how incredible it is. I almost wish this time I had something negative to say about it. Almost. Not really though.

Once again, Rick Remender delivers an unbelievable issue of X-Force, and the start of what is bound to be an absolutely mind blowing story arc. With each passing moment, Warren comes closer to being completely taken over by Apocalypse. In order to save him, X-Force reaches out to Dark Beast (the Beast of Age of Apocalypse universe) who explains to them that the only way to save Warren is to travel back to the Age of Apocalypse and retrieve the "life seed," and bring it back to Warren. X-Force does exactly that. When the X-Men enter through the portal leading them to A of A they enter a world where Charles Xavier is dead, and the future of all mutants is bleak.  On this trip, X-Force comes face to with alternate versions of people they were once very close to- people who have long since died in their reality.

Probably the coolest thing about X-Force going to this alternate dimension is the reaction of characters like Wolverine. Logan's reactions are surreal and emotional- but he still manages to keep everything together in order to accomplish their mission. A trip into this alternate universe should have taken less than three hours- until things go awry and X-Force is forced to stay a bit longer than originally intended. This issue will leave you with a lot of questions; will X-Force return to their reality? Can X-Force really trust Dark Beast? Will they manage to safely retrieve the life seed? Will they save Warren?

The Bad

Nothing to see here.

There is no element of this issue that I didn't enjoy. The story is totally original, and predominantly character driven; something we don't see often enough with X-Men comics. As a reader, you begin to really care about the characters and you may find yourself invested in the story. The issue is breathtaking too, with gorgeous art by Mark Brooks, Andrew Currie and Dean White, there's nothing to complain about when it comes to X-Force #11. If you haven't read X-Force and would like to, this is the perfect place to start.
Posted by CombatSpoon86

this was a great issue, I love dean white on this book, his coloring is outstanding. AoA was great and wow i loved this issue front to cover. I can't wait for the nxt one.

Posted by carnivalofsins00

This is definitely the best thing Marvel is putting out. HOLY CRAP! Things will just keep on getting crazier from here on out. Also, what Remender is doing with Betty and Fantomex? I gotta say, That next cover looks pretty interesting. :)

Posted by doordoor123

So... ive never read AOA. Costs too much money. Ive read almost everything else but not AOA.
I didnt get the characters. I thought they would be explained more.

Posted by Carolina574

This series has what made past X-Men series so great, and what the main series are missing. A core group of characters, nods to past stories, and character development.
This is the best X-Men stuff since the glory days of Claremont.

Posted by CaptainCyke

The most underrated part of this issue is that Marvel keeps with the Exiles continuity with Sabertooth and Psylock recognizing each other. A large part of me hopes that they contact the Exiles for a ride home!