undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Last issue set the stage, this issue lets the play begin. Remender and Acuña are back in the present and, in the wake of the Red Skull’s attack, the Avengers (Uncanny flavor) are more fractured than ever. Rogue is being asked to sit out the next few missions based on how she handled a bad situation with Grim Reaper, Scarlet Witch is trying to prove her stability while also dealing with the strange feelings of Wonder Man, and Havok is still trying to take charge and spin positive PR. All this while SWORD monitors a massive cosmic catastrophe involving the children and Horsemen of Apocalypse as well as a massive Celestial that signals the arrival of a pair of villains all too familiar to Wolverine and Thor (though for completely different reasons).

This issue does an absolutely amazing job of juggling small character moments (in particular Wasp’s assertion that fashion and pop culture will help mutants gain greater acceptance, as well as a not too shocking move of a more personal variety) with massive, cosmic bombast. I mentioned in that last review that Acuña’s muddy, painterly visuals were perfectly suited for a story set in a rainy, European past, but here he proves that he’s just as good with the modern setting as well, particularly the villain designs. His characters also all look very distinct, and that’s important in a team book that features two tall male leads with short, blonde hair.

Remender is back in fighting form with three solid issues (the most recent two being absolutely excellent) and I’ve even warmed up to his strange, omnipotent “narrator” voice, a trope that’s been mostly retired from modern comics except when being used as parody. I really can’t overstate how much of a balancing act between character and action he strikes, and much like Acuña’s visuals, each character has a great, unique voice and motivation, making the team’s internal conflict seem organic rather than something that’s needed to give the plot suspense.

The Bad

I won’t spoil what the massive cataclysm I reference above is, but it really feels like it should’ve received a bit more fanfare in this issue or more build-up in previous issues. Something that’s long been thought literally impossible in the Marvel Universe happens almost completely effortlessly and instantly, and while the previous issue set up that SOMEthing huge was going to happen, that alone doesn’t QUITE do the job of fully justifying what happens here. Remender still has future issues to lend the event more weight, which I have confidence he will, but it still felt a little too glossy in this single issue.

While I’ve warmed up to the narrator, a few panels feel like they could’ve spoken for themselves, particularly on the strength of Acuña's art, rather than having a voice telling you every detail of what PRECISELY is going on. It weakens the pace and slows the action, and it’s during some of the most intense, action-packed parts near the end of the issue that pacing is at its most important.

The Verdict

The points above do little to muddy what is a fantastic issue. I think my problem with the first four or five parts of Remender’s run was that there was a severe dearth of character moments and team interactions, which are still so critical even in massive, galactic-level throwdowns. Otherwise we, the readers, aren’t simply won’t be invested, no matter how cool everything looks. That won’t be a problem if these two issues are any indication. Remender tells the story and builds characters with such an economy and effeciency that even a few pages per character is enough to give us a window into their thoughts.

Chewish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My guess for the purpose of the "omnipotent narrator" is that in the last issue of Remender's run, he will reveal it to be Uatu the Watcher.

Anyways, I look forward to picking this up on Saturday. Great review Corey :D

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Hmmm so this book is getting better huh?

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't stand Havoc's costume. Also wouldn't hurt to sex up Wanda a bit.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#4  Edited By pspin

Art=Amazing!

Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this issue, the series started a bit cold, but THIS IS THE REMENDER I KNOW I LOVE, probably because he's getting things he built for in previous series so he can accomodate quicker to the new team. He's getting in form and I'm loving it.

The tension in the team is very well handed and I'm interested in how Rogue and Scarlet Witch clear their differences with more issues. I liked the sexual tension moment too, there is potential there I think even if I can't imagine Alex with anyone else than Polaris (not as much as I can't imagine now Scott and Emma without each other, I hope Bendis puts them together soon) but I guess this one has potential (and I like Hank Pym with Tigra so Wasp better finds someone better for her personality :P).

caladbolglight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

Better than the Red Skull story (Nazis are so overplayed), but this still felt kinda boring. What's with Marvel and all this cosmic stuff? The Apocalypse story in Uncanny X-Force set things up so nicely, but this just felt odd. I don't know, I just expect better from Remender. It isn't that interesting.

MSchiwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's very obvious what happened to the Narrator... he was assassinated this issue.

@onemoreposter: I definitely agree about Havok's costume, it is just all over the place and he really needs to get Janet on designing something more modern for him..... However I completely disagree about Wanda, it is completely awesome to see her dressed like she didn't walk out of a S&M club.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decent issue but the introduction of the Apocalypse Twins jobbing everyone with little effort felt hollow, I know making new villains you have to make them threatening but with these two I would have preferred to hold them off build them up. Than when they go into actions show them struggling to defeat their enemy than later on you can have them come back with a vengeance giving them the feeling of foes that have earned their place as worthy villains. In truth I was more interested in the bickering between the members proving that Avengers and X-men work better separated or hating each other, but I was impressed that Remender had Thor defend Rogue, I would have assumed he would play the "I still have grudge" motif but Remender did a nice scene especially with the Wasp and Havok.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JamDamage

This book was a typical Remender greatness. Ioved it. Things are coming together in a scary good way. He's doing what he did with X-Force and in a way you had to have been a reader of that arch to know what's going on now. I just wish Opena was on this with him. The two of them together are just silly good. I have such hopes for this run. Classic in the making. This issue was nothing short of that in story telling. He smashed in a lot here. I'm also glad to see that another issue came out so fast. Wasn't the last issue just 2 weeks ago???

supermanprime6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@madeinbangladesh: Absolutely. My recommendation, just skip issues 1-5 and start with issue 6. The first five were not that good and really have nothing to do with the new storyline. This new arc is basically a continuation of his Uncanny X-Force run.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By longbowhunter

Glad to see Remender back in form with this arc. He may be writing the most Avengers Avengers title currently being published.

Porcupeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God, no. Do not skip 1-5. 3 and 4 still are the best issues in the series. And best comics of the year so far, imo.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This series is getting as awesome as I expected to be when they first announced it.

My biggest complain is with how the team gets along (I hope after this arc Scarlett Witch and Rogue end with their childish behaviour) and the Wasp/Havock scene wich for me came out of nowhere and was totally out of place (I get they could end up having something but this was way too direct)

SolthesunGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@lokheit said:

The tension in the team is very well handed and I'm interested in how Rogue and Scarlet Witch clear their differences with more issues. I liked the sexual tension moment too, there is potential there I think even if I can't imagine Alex with anyone else than Polaris (not as much as I can't imagine now Scott and Emma without each other

No to Wanda and Havok. He nearly married her sister it's just icky. I actually thought Acuna drew Wanda like she was a golden age of Hollywood filmstar. I mean she's still completely unlikeable in the book but at least she looks good while being an uber bitch.

What I don't get, because it doesn't make sense is how Rogue could have killed Grim Reaper when he himself said he can't die while the Scarlet Witch lives.

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mschiwal: I agree about Wanda's new look; it is pretty fantastic.

Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lokheit said:

The tension in the team is very well handed and I'm interested in how Rogue and Scarlet Witch clear their differences with more issues. I liked the sexual tension moment too, there is potential there I think even if I can't imagine Alex with anyone else than Polaris (not as much as I can't imagine now Scott and Emma without each other

No to Wanda and Havok. He nearly married her sister it's just icky. I actually thought Acuna drew Wanda like she was a golden age of Hollywood filmstar. I mean she's still completely unlikeable in the book but at least she looks good while being an uber bitch.

What I don't get, because it doesn't make sense is how Rogue could have killed Grim Reaper when he himself said he can't die while the Scarlet Witch lives.

Except the sexual tension moment I was talking about was with Wasp, not with Wanda. That was what I meant, the moment where Wasp sends all kind of clear signals about having sex with Alex and he says he is flatered but he thinks more complications won't be a good idea and she answered they should live without worries because they don't know how much time they have left and then the alarm interrupts them.

Avatar image for avengers_4everxx
    Avengers_4everXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Avengers_4everXX

@onemoreposter: What a lovely display of blatant chauvinism.

Friendly reminder that female characters are neither defined nor legitimized by how "sexed up" their costumes are.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemoreposter: What a lovely display of blatant chauvinism.

Friendly reminder that female characters are neither defined nor legitimized by how "sexed up" their costumes are.

No, I imagine not. Unless your Power Girl who was originally designed with a bust that got bigger in every issue...... or Emma Frost who's whole shtick is walking around in lingerie. Actually, I think it's fair to admit that there are several female characters partially defined by how "sexed up" they are.

This is comics. Robin wore a speedo till he was 18. Wolverine can't keep a shirt on. Martian Manhunter is dressed like Sean Connery from Zardoz. I've seen more threads on these boards about Nighwings arse than I have about Wonder Woman's tits.

Sexual objectification of characters goes both ways and it's not coming to an end anytime soon. So don't get all indignant when you find out that a comic book reader enjoys a sexy lady (or man) in a sexy outfit. You're going to find most of us do.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are the twins considered the primary successors to Apocalypse over Genocide? Isn't he his son? The twins at best his grandchildren since they are the children of his creation archangel. I'm confused

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Killing Celestials=awful, just awful. And the Uncanny Avengers are gonna stop these guys? Yeahhhhh, this book is bad.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By tomlikesfries

The narration in this issue is absolutely lovely.

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Damn...I dropped off just before this got good...can't afford another 3.99 book so I'll wait for trades!

Damian_Arrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God, no. Do not skip 1-5. 3 and 4 still are the best issues in the series. And best comics of the year so far, imo.

3 and 4 were a lot of fun in an outrageous way.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.