johnkmccubbin91's Uncanny Avengers #11 review

The Scarlet Witch's Destiny

This has been one of the best series that Marvel is producing the now, as although it had a shaky start, it has became an amazing series. The series has also done a brilliant job of introducing the Apocalypse Twins, and developing their story.

Plot

The Apocalypse Twins, Uriel, and Eimin tell the Scarlet Witch about their plans whilst their Horsemen take on other members of the Avengers Unity Squad.

Review

This was a brilliant issue, and although not quite the same level of quality as the first five issues of this storyline, it was better than the last issue. Rick Remender really seems to know what he's doing with this story, as although the last issue shortened the pace a bit, this issue has set it straight back on track. It was however not without it's faults, as it was ever so slightly slow at the start of the issue, but still had plenty of suspense, and drama, soon picking the pace up. The dialogue in this issue was also fantastic, adding a lot of drama, and depth, as well as the odd bit of lightheartedness. Remender also handled the action perfectly, being very exciting, also having plenty of emotion in it.

The art in this issue was overall very good, but to be honest I was slightly disappointed with it. Daniel Acuña is an amazing artist, don't get me wrong, and he's been doing phenomenal work on this series, with it possibly being the best that he's ever produced. I did however feel that this issue had too many imperfections in it, as with all the other issues having plenty I wouldn't expect as many here. Acuña did however draw some fantastic action sequences, that had plenty of emotion, and excitement, also being very dynamic. I also loved Acuña's layouts, as they were once again amazing, adding plenty of depth to the issue, and that along with his inks, and colours make his art simply outstanding.

This issue would start with the Apocalypse Twins talking to the Scarlet Witch, eventually divulging their plans. This sequence was what made the issue slightly slow, but that in itself wasn't overall a bad thing, as it wouldn't have given the same level of drama, and effect if it wasn't. The dialogue itself was also extremely interesting, and I loved the change in emotion on Scarlet Witch's face throughout the interaction, as although the art wasn't always perfect, it was still very deep, and dramatic.

There were also a couple of fights in this issue, with the first one being between Wolverine, and Daken. Now this was something that I was really looking forward to in this story, as although the fight between them during Final Execution was great, it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. This fight however also had plenty of emotion in it as well, with great dialogue, which added depth, as well as drama. I also just loved seeing both characters go at it with claws out, and the art during that period was simply outstanding.

The other fight in this issue would be between Thor, and Sentry. This would probably be the better of the two fights as although it didn't quite have the same level of emotion, it was much more exciting, also having a lot more depth to it. Once again the dialogue during this sequence was amazing, adding tone to the sequence, and ultimately helping it to stand out. The art was also once again fantastic, with this being the best piece of artwork in the issue, and I seriously hope that we get to see more action between these two characters.

Final Verdict

This was an amazing issue, and although not one of the best in the series, not far off. It had amazing dialogue, as well as phenomenal action sequences, and despite the slight imperfections in the artwork, and the odd patch of slowness, this was an outstanding issue, and has me excited for the next. Due to all this I'd highly recommend this issue, and the story so far, as on a whole it's been fantastic.

Rating: 4/5

Posted by lykopis

I'm so/so on this series but I am hanging in. I don't particularly enjoy the take the X-Men portion of the team have been on but hopefully things will even out.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@lykopis: I personally have enjoyed it so far, though last issue dipped a bit. Not as good as Uncanny X-Force was though.