Ultron in 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Has Been Cast

• 98 results
Posted by G-Man (32377 posts) - - Show Bio

We know Ultron will be the big villain in the sequel to The Avengers. We also know that it will be Tony Stark that creates him rather than Hank Pym. What we didn't know was who would be portraying the robotic villain...until now.

Ultron will be played by the Emmy Award-winning actor, James Spader. Spader has earned three Emmy Awards for Boston Legal and The Practice. Spader was also recently seen in Steven Spielberg's Lincoln as well as TV's The Office.

No other information on how he will portray the villain, whether it'll just be voice work and CG or someone in costume.

Avengers: Age of Ultron opens in theaters on May 1, 2015.

Source: Marvel

Staff
#1 Edited by nerdork (4038 posts) - - Show Bio

James Spader, I think, has a pretty good voice for the role. This seems really promising. I could see them doing motion capture, but I imagine that they would want to use a body double to play the part. IMO, Spader could only do the voice, but he could do it very well.

#2 Posted by Baconbot (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Excited. He is a great choice.

love me some James Spader.

#3 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Ermahgerd. GENIUS. Love it.

#4 Posted by Hermatt (70 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome

#5 Posted by twiztidtunes (75 posts) - - Show Bio

I approve

#6 Posted by Mucklefluga (2547 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know this dude, so i can't judge if this is good or not.

#7 Posted by flazam (2491 posts) - - Show Bio

Great so far

#8 Posted by G-Man (32377 posts) - - Show Bio

Staff
#9 Posted by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

Aww I was hoping that Ben Affleck would play him

#10 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

Never heard of him, but considering other's reactions I guess it'll be fine.

#11 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21656 posts) - - Show Bio

Noooo. I hate him in the office!!!! He's not funny at all.

#12 Posted by G-Man (32377 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#13 Edited by MrMazz (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

I can dig this dude can do the menacing logical coldness that one would expect from the Killer Robot. Hurm really interested in seeing if this is only a voice job or if it's full on mo-cap with the suit and balls. There is going to have to be some mo-cap just because of how sfx work these days but it isn't like his face needs a lot of articulation.

#14 Edited by GothamRed (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

apparently ultron will be JARVIS from what I've heard, but that could be wrong

#15 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21656 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man: tony stark I'd funny and if he builds him. He should build him funny. Just kidding, I just don't like that season from the office. Him and the British red head woman who thinks she's the boss weren't funny

#16 Edited by G-Man (32377 posts) - - Show Bio

@gothamred: Yeah, I heard that rumor. Supposedly someone had a source at Disney that confirmed changing the character into Ultron. Kind of doesn't seem likely know with Spader instead of Paul Bettany. But maybe the change still happens and as a result, the voice changes to Spader's...?

Staff
#17 Edited by EvilPenguin543 (178 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not familiar with his work, so I can't really judge him.

#18 Posted by thanosrules (546 posts) - - Show Bio

Seeing James Spader in this type of role makes me realize how long ago Stargate (the movie) came out... He certainly has the creepy factor down...

#19 Posted by mettlekm (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Aww I was hoping that Ben Affleck would play him

stole my line! well played.

#20 Posted by Mild_Karl (131 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing that MCU seems to nail is casting, this is no different. Unexpected but welcome.

#21 Posted by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio

Spader is awesome casting.

Not so thrilled about Pym not creating Ultron. I feel like their relationship is what makes Ultron interesting. Movie Stark has already shrugged off creating weapons that killed tons of people. Even when he hits dark patches, he recovers for levity -- I don't think that tone fits with the tragic father-son dynamic we expect from Ultron.

#22 Posted by Lvenger (19293 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this a good thing? I don't know who the guy is. Still if the excitement is justified, then this could be a good role.

#23 Edited by MrMazz (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man: that would make a lot of sense to have to be a quiet literal morph into a new actor character if Jarvs were to be the caterpia to Ultrons Butterfree

#24 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33019 posts) - - Show Bio

The guy from Stargate? That's the only thing I'v ever seen him in.

#25 Edited by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

I was wrong! I am starting to like chocolate shredded wheat after all! :D

#26 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7025 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanted Benedict Cumberbatch.....

#27 Posted by SC (12961 posts) - - Show Bio

**Deep breaths and try not to sing the Boston Legal theme song**

Please let William Shatner be Jocasta now please!

#28 Edited by Dman1366 (560 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackarmor: too late, he is already playing daredevil batman

#29 Posted by Z3RO180 (6458 posts) - - Show Bio

Really can't think of any other actor for the role who is more perfect for the role.

#30 Posted by Dman1366 (560 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be awesome if Tony turned that robotic arm in the movie into Ultron

#31 Posted by BritishMonkey (323 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, holy shitsnacks...

#32 Posted by Namor1987 (1886 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't Ultron going to be mostly CGI unless Jarvis becomes a holographic A.I.

#33 Posted by Darkseid_Prime (169 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet

#34 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh, so I guess that puts to rest the idea of Paul Bettany being the portrayal of Jarv-Ultron.

#35 Posted by sparty-dbq (793 posts) - - Show Bio

*Imagines Spader's voice run through a robotic filter*

Yeah, I can see that.

I like the guy and it's good to know he'll still have something to look forward to if and when The Blacklist gets cancelled.

#36 Posted by IDontLikeBirds (297 posts) - - Show Bio

I completely approve of this. For those who keep saying they don't know him or his work, go watch some of his movies. He can do intelligent and cold VERY well. He can play cruel, a sense of superiority, calculating, and just has shown the range to display what is needed for the role. Though he's done comedy in things like Boston Legal, he has done some serious stuff in The Practice (a show that takes place in the same world, but precedes Boston Legal and is a drama). Secretary is also a good example of his coldness (if you ignore all the bdsm stuff in the movie).

#37 Edited by leokearon (1789 posts) - - Show Bio

Seeing James Spader in this type of role makes me realize how long ago Stargate (the movie) came out... He certainly has the creepy factor down...

Me too

#38 Posted by Bull_iod (46 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this casting, solid and will set a good tone for the Villan

#39 Posted by new_onslaught (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Good choice

#40 Posted by DM (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this choice.

#41 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11376 posts) - - Show Bio

So since Tony creates Ultron instead of Hank, this is gonna be like Iron Man 5, right?

But really, I'm excited to see what Spader can bring to the table.

#43 Posted by deadpool25mm (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man: Here is the story: Tony doesnt want to be Ironman, so he lets JARVIS be Ironman for some time then he upgrades JARVIS AI to ULTRON who takes control and therefor forcing Tony to come back as Ironman assembling all the Avengers. Well thats how I see it :)

#44 Posted by Noteworthington (187 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't decide what is nicer to see, this great casting choice, or a thread mostly full of happer Viners.

#45 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

The guy from Stargate? That's the only thing I'v ever seen him in.

He was huge in the 80s, tho he pretty much always played either the no good rat bastard, or creepy guy.

#46 Posted by Wolverine08 (41098 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet.

#47 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7681 posts) - - Show Bio

Great stuff, always liked his work.

#48 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18010 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Is this a good thing? I don't know who the guy is. Still if the excitement is justified, then this could be a good role.

#49 Posted by QuantomMan (216 posts) - - Show Bio

That rocks! I love that guy

#50 Edited by laabitres (375 posts) - - Show Bio

so the original daniel jackson is gonna be ultron?! i can live with that

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.