Follow

Ultraverse

Concept » Ultraverse appears in 517 issues.

The Ultraverse was a shared universe with original characters created for Malibu Comics during the first half of the 90s decade. Super-powered characters were known as "Ultras".

Will The Ultraverse ever return???

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

Edited By turoksonofstone

No Caption Provided
    I know Marvel owns the rights to the Ultraverse characters. I had heard that Jim Starlin was going to bring back Rune in "Thanos Quest". Does anyone know whats going on with these characters?
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#1  Edited By cbishop

I have no idea what they're doing with the characters, but it's a danged shame they just stuffed 'em in a drawer somewhere.  Prototype would have been an awesome supporting character for Iron Man (and it would have made sense that Tony would pay someone to try out the weapons first, instead of blowing himself up).  Solitaire is an awesome character.  The Strangers and Freex would have fit right in.  Rune was weird but well written.  Even Sludge was interesting.  Prime was just okay for me, but he seemed to please a lot of fans.  I'm sure I am forgetting some titles (Hardcase, Ultra Force...) but I was digging that entire line.  I still hunt through quarter bins (and ten cent, and one dollar, etc.)  for back issues, trying to complete all these series, just so I can read it all. 

And Marvel seemed to only be interested in Exiles.  I mean, yeah, they started everything over with new #1 issues, and did all the Ultraverse/ Marvel crossovers, with all the pricey variant editions, but really, that whole buyout seemed like they bought Ultraverse because they had a book with "X" in the title.  The Marvel Exiles books were fun, but what a waste of the rest of that universe.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By turoksonofstone

My feelings mirror your own. Next to Dr.Solar, Rune is my all time favorite.

ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ForbushBug

I read the Solution and the Strangers, good fun team books. Loved Firearm. Drooled over Mantra. So yeah, I think Ultraverse is a big ol' ball Marvel dropped.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By turoksonofstone

Maybe Disney will shell out the money to the Ultraverse Creators who are still alive and we'll get to read them again someday.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Well Crossgen came back and Miracleman is coming back , so maybe next year

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By turoksonofstone

True, very true. I would love to see BWS on Rune again. poked around a bit and found an interview where Jim Starlin said he did in fact intend for the skeleton with the space jem in "Thanos Quest" to be Rune, but he was told not he could not use him.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#7  Edited By cbishop
    @ForbushBug: Ah, thank you for naming books I had forgotten. lol
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By turoksonofstone

Actually its sad "Godwheel" and Black September got my hopes so high. I hope Disney dusts off "Prime" and gets the ball rolling soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I really liked Night Man and Reaper.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By EarthsMightiest

Picked up UV stuff after Black September and Phoenix Resurrection, still have Rune comics after Adam Warlock lost the Soul Stone and went after him. Who remembers the Ego Stone and Nemesis? Next thread Thanos vs. Ultraforce!

nicos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

for me ultraverse died when it became property of marvel comics. at the time it was neat to have a new and fresh shared universe with no familiar names who had been swingig around New york city sincee the 60s. most of the stories were based around the west coast and the pages were shiny and colorful. it was a difference, a good alternative. then corporate reality set in and the innovative and promising young publisher got devoured by the hippos from there it was no more glossy colorful artwork in every issue and cool characters got restructured and some even wiped out of existence NOT COOL!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.