Follow

Ultimates

Team » Ultimates appears in 564 issues.

Originally a group of supersoldiers recruited by Nick Fury as a means of defending the world and protecting America's best interests under the department of Homeland Security. The team at one point distanced themselves from the US government to deal with threats independently but have recently joined back up with S.H.I.E.L.D. Now they serve as the ultimate team to fight any and all disturbances in the Marvel Universe.

Ultimates 3 is.......

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sling Shot

I am underwhelmed by Loeb interpretation of the Ultimates at this point. I would prolly enjoy his version of them much more if this were a brand new title with no backstory, but as it stands the Ultimates have years of stellar development and backstory, that almost seems disregarded in this new arc.I am also nervous about Loeb's Black Panther (a personal favorite in 616).I feel he will shortchange him with the same nearsiteded approach ( seemingly) he is treating the other Ultimates. I had hoped BP would be introduced by another scribe, Mike Carey(Ult FF), a writer who's ideas seem to be a perfect fit for the Ultimate universe. With Loeb it seems he is bringing his 616 sensibilities to the Ult U. and dressing them up to be edgy. Like an old guy buying a grill and rims trying to fit in. (That may be too hasty and too harsh an assesment,we'll see.) Mad's art is fresh, but seems like a flashback to 616 circa 2000.
    Post Edited:2007-12-09 23:39:54

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#2  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I feel like it's too early to say some of that, but you may just be more perceptive than I am and regardless, that's what you're getting from it. I liked it, mostly. There needs to be a good bit of explanation to make sense of why all the characters are where they are right now (physically on the team, and just in general) and how they got there from the last books, but I feel like that's coming. I was let down by Panther, mostly because I felt like he'd be of some importance (giving him a cover didn't hurt that feeling) and he not only got literally thrown away, but he didn't even say a word in the part of the comic he was in. I'm good with it overall though.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sling Shot

I wasn't totally upset with it. I am coming in more critical than if it was a new title. And I like Jeph Loeb but in te Ult U I am skeptical of many established writers, I don't want them to 616 it up. And yeah, Panther's first appearance didn't leave any feeling of his significance. Something I think wouldn't happen with the old creative team. I'm satill gonna buy it though, so Marvel wins.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Loeb is really overrated. His last Wolverine story was pathetic.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    Hagane Enna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Hagane Enna

I hope that Black Panther's presence with Ultimates is explained better than it was, which is not at all so far as I can tell. I hope they give him more development then simply plopping the guy in the story because that's not right. I do have to say that they did a good job with Thor and the Valkyrie girl. Ultimate Thor has, in the past, cracked me up completely. Anybody else think Cap was gonna barf when he heard that explanation about the twins?

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sling Shot

fesak says:

"Here's a review i agree with 100%
    " />http://www.thexaxis.com/misc/ultimates31.htm"

I read th8is article and agree with many of the points given. Loeb's writing( which I already adressed)Lichtner's colors is a good point as well, but ultimately it is Loeb's take that is off.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sling Shot

fesak says:

"Here's a review i agree with 100%
    " />http://www.thexaxis.com/misc/ultimates31.htm"

I read this article and agree with many of the points given. Loeb's writing( which I already adressed)Lichtner's colors is a good point as well, but ultimately it is Loeb's take that is off.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.