New Ultimates...

#1 Edited by War Killer (20339 posts) - - Show Bio

Is anyone else looking forward to New Ultimates? I am, I was just wondering if anyone else is... 

It's going to be writen by Jeph Loeb, which I know most of you don't care much for. And the art is done by Frank Cho (Mighty Avengers, Hulk, ect) and the art dose look pretty sweet from what I've seen.

Here's some preview art from the book
#2 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio

not really since I know Loeb is writing it...but I'll give it a shot for a few issues before I decide to drop it or not

#3 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Pix will pass

#4 Posted by Clara Mass (8062 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a huge fan of Cho's art but I'll check it out =)

#5 Posted by War Killer (20339 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I've been reading, the book does sound pretty good, I know people give Loeb a hard time, but his books aren't always bad

#6 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
"From what I've been reading, the book does sound pretty good, I know people give Loeb a hard time, but his books aren't always bad "

just a majority of them
#7 Posted by War Killer (20339 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
"@War Killer said:
"From what I've been reading, the book does sound pretty good, I know people give Loeb a hard time, but his books aren't always bad "
just a majority of them "
I've read Hulk, it's not great, but it's not bad either, Ultimatum is good, people are just mad because they killed so many people off
#8 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rather read Millar's Ultimate Avengers. I just can't stand Loeb's work. His creation of the Red Hulk automatically disqualifies him, for me anyway.

#9 Posted by Legacy_ (10667 posts) - - Show Bio

Coming this February, the man who destroyed the Ultimate Universe might just be the one to save it from the apocalypse.

With an assist from artist Frank Cho, writer Jeph Loeb returns, to the Earth he ripped asunder in Ultimatum with NEW ULTIMATES #1, just in time to find the planet in jeopardy once more and he could not be more thrilled.

"This book will have a bit more fun in it," Loeb says, comparing it to ULTIMATES 3 and Ultimatum. "Frank Cho and I have a fresh start.  It's a great cast with a very exciting entry point for the series."

Loeb quickly points out that his collaborator should be the one readers really get excited for.

"The real superstar of the book is Frank Cho, the writer argues. "His illustrations are nothing short of astonishing. Anybody who has seen that giant six-part New Ultimates against the hordes of Asgard [spread] will see that this is something very special."

Editor Sana Amanat reassures that fans will be thrilled with both creators though.

"They're both geniuses in their own right and it's great to see what happens when they come together," she says. "Their collective vision of where they want to take the Ultimate Universe is pretty inspiring.  They're not just making comics, they're shaping new worlds."

A bit more fun for Loeb, Cho, and Amanat, however, should not be interpreted as an easy time for the citizens of the Ultimate Universe.

"It's a dark time," Loeb reveals. "The New Ultimates are now the only super hero team in the Ultimate Universe.  The Fantastic Four has disbanded.  There are no more X-Men.  And the Ultimate Avengers are more a rotating group of covert black ops.  If the world needs saving, the New Ultimates are the first line of defense.

"This is a world that needs to heal," the writer continues. "But, while that is going on from a very real emotional place, 'evil' can seize the opportunity."

That evil comes in the form of Thor's wayward brother. With the Norse hero still missing in the wake of Ultimatum, Loki assumes the God of Thunder dead and decides to take advantage of his absence. The God of Mischief's attack places the world on the precipice of Armageddon.

"Without Thor, who can protect the Earth from all of Asgard unleashed?" Loeb forebodingly asks.

The collection of heroes dubbed the New Ultimates stand as the only likely saviors of the planet. Interpersonal squabbles, however, may derail them before they even get a chance to act the part.

"NEW ULTIMATES in many ways speaks to the starting over in the aftermath of Ultimatum," the writer explains. "In ULTIMATES 3-which I had worked out with [Ultimates co-creator] Mark Millar of the end of [ULTIMATES 2]-Tony Stark took the Ultimates out from the Government and paid for it himself.  Now Tony can't afford to do that so now they are back under the control of S.H.I.E.L.D.  This puts him in particular in direct conflict with Colonel Carol Danvers who is the new head of S.H.I.E.L.D."

Fortunately for Earth, there may be another hope, in the form of Thor's lover, Valkyrie. Loeb warns, however, that mystery surrounds Valkyrie.

"I'd keep my eye on Valkyrie," he urges. "Mark Millar created her as a simple, horny 19 year-old who had no powers. She showed up in ULTIMATES 3 at the level of a Goddess.  How did that happen and more importantly, why?"     

From Marvel.com

#10 Posted by Termination Squad (265 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:

Look at the post above -_-
#11 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (262 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll give it a try, even though I really wasn't into The Ultimates: Volume 3.

#12 Posted by sora_thekey (8178 posts) - - Show Bio
@Closure said:
"
"

Is that supposed to be a female Ares?
#13 Posted by Charmix (11958 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless they bring the Scarlet Witch back ;P

#14 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
" @Closure said:
"
"
Is that supposed to be a female Ares? "
I think it's Power Princess
#15 Posted by sora_thekey (8178 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @sora_thekey said:
" @Closure said:
"

"
I think it's Power Princess "

Since when does she have an ax? Did I miss something?
#16 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
" @danhimself said:
" @sora_thekey said:
" @Closure said:
"
"
Since when does she have an ax? Did I miss something? "
who knows it's Loeb writing it so it doesn't really have to make sense...and we haven't really seen much of her since she came to the Ultimate Universe besides that HILARIOUS Ultimate Hulk Annual where they "hooked up"
#17 Posted by sora_thekey (8178 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @sora_thekey said:
" @danhimself said:
" @sora_thekey said:
" @Closure said:
"

"
who knows it's Loeb writing it so it doesn't really have to make sense...and we haven't really seen much of her since she came to the Ultimate Universe besides that HILARIOUS Ultimate Hulk Annual where they "hooked up" "

I just checked the Annual.. and she does have an ax during that issue... although you're right that was HILARIOUS!
#18 Posted by War Killer (20339 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
"@danhimself said:
" @sora_thekey said:
" @Closure said:
"

"

Earth-1610 Ultimate

She started using the ax in the Ultimate Hulk Annual
#19 Posted by War Killer (20339 posts) - - Show Bio
@Charmix said:
"Unless they bring the Scarlet Witch back ;P

"
Sorry, but both Loeb and Millar have said that everyone who has died so far will stay dead
#20 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
" @danhimself said:
" @sora_thekey said:
" @danhimself said:
" @sora_thekey said:
" @Closure said:
"
"
who knows it's Loeb writing it so it doesn't really have to make sense...and we haven't really seen much of her since she came to the Ultimate Universe besides that HILARIOUS Ultimate Hulk Annual where they "hooked up" "
I just checked the Annual.. and she does have an ax during that issue... although you're right that was HILARIOUS! "
it's been awhile since I read it so I wasn't sure....yeah that's got to be one of the funniest books I've ever read
#21 Posted by War Killer (20339 posts) - - Show Bio

I am looking forward to this book, I also think Valkyrie's new look, looks cool 

It's got that Thor Girl feel to it

#22 Posted by sora_thekey (8178 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @sora_thekey said:
" @danhimself said:
" @sora_thekey said:
" @danhimself said:
" @sora_thekey said:
" @Closure said:
"

"
I just checked the Annual.. and she does have an ax during that issue... although you're right that was HILARIOUS! "
it's been awhile since I read it so I wasn't sure....yeah that's got to be one of the funniest books I've ever read "

That was echnically the most accurate book Loeb has done since Ultimate Hulk is horny!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.