Follow

Ultimate Thor

Volume »

Limited series published by Marvel in 2010. Cover indica states the name of the issue as Ultimate Thor

Review: Ultimate Thor #2

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    The three threads of Thor's long life between to weave together as Baron Zemo's revealed to have a terrifying connection to Loki.

The Good

The "three-in-one" narrative of this fondly reminds me of Frank Miller's Ronin and the movie, the Fountain, and I find it extremely effective. It's never confusing, it's quite clear and direct, and, more importantly, it basically cuts out all the fat and boring parts you'd normally get in a strictly linear narrative. Pacheco's art is absolutely brilliant, as well, giving this wildly-fantastic story a sense of reality and authentic detail without sacrificing any of the dynamism you expect from a comic. And the man knows how to compose an angle!

The Bad

I tried to find something to fault here, but there really isn't anything.  Even if there were anything to view as a minus, I think I'd give it bonus points to cancel that out, because I'm so glad to see this series getting the Ultimate line back in touch with what made it so exciting in the first place.

The Verdict - 5/5

As I mentioned in my review of Thor, this is actually one of three comics starring the thunder god this week and I'll say that it's heads-and-tails the best. It's an adaptation and update in the best sense of the terms, using this rich mythology (both cultural and pop-cultural) as a basis for a sharp, forward-looking science fiction thriller. And, without spoiling anything, the twist regarding Baron Zemo is quite stellar.
    ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By ckal

Nice. I read the first issue and it was good. I'll probably check this one out as well.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Fantasgasmic

Generally not a fan of the Ultimate universe so forgive me if this has come up before but... 
     What the holy hell is going on with Loki's codpiece?!

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#3  Edited By Deadcool

Awesome issue... I love it!!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself

one continuity error confused me...in Ultimates Vol. 1...Captain America and Nick Fury go to Thor to ask him to join the Ultimates and he declines but during their conversation you learn that his isn't the first time that Nick has asked Thor to work with him and that Thor has been doing environmental protests across the globe but in Ultimate Thor #2 he's still under the care of Dr. Blake, Captain Britain and his father when they learn the news of Captain America being revived

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Pizawle

Do not except any less from Hickman.

Ry Fryy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Ry Fryy

Easily one of the best series out now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.