Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By amplifiedmuffin
    @Samimista

He's a new character, that's why.

And I have no issues with this development. I don't personally read Ultimate, but it's still nice to see.
    ScarlettLynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By ScarlettLynn

I'm only on Ultimate Spider-Man #64 so far, so it's going to be a while before I get there but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the story.

1fearless1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By 1fearless1

Wow! Is this the answer nowadays in order to create diversity in comics is to change every white character to BLACK?  I can't wait to see the entire white superheroes turned into Blacks *Sarcasm* 
    Stupid creators!!!!  I guess I won't be collecting Spidey anymore.
    Why don't you just create an all new character  starring some black kid instead? 
    How many other white characters can you guys name that has been "replaced" by a black dude?

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Chaos Burn

Is he black (african-american)? coz if so it would be awesome if they're reacting to the fan support for that black actor that auditioned for the new spider-man film

okayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By okayla

He's a cutie pie!

Black_Kn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By Black_Kn1ght

No frickin way. It's totally gonna fail.

IIayK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By IIayK
    cold_fuzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By cold_fuzion
    @Chaos Burn said:
    Is he black (african-american)? coz if so it would be awesome if they're reacting to the fan support for that black actor that auditioned for the new spider-man film
    That was my first thought. Donald Glover can be Spider-Man now!
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By dernman
    @huser: I don't except that that it's to crowded. With all the crap characters around you could simply fade them away and for room.
    All it takes is creativity/imagination. It's just plain lazy to bump off an icon for diversity.  Many characters have been been made not long ago that are great characters.  Just off the top of my head Grifter for one of many. All they need to do is make a character that is appealing and not make him white.
    The reason these characters are such big icons is because of how long they have been around and if you truly want more diverse characters you need to put the effort and over time they will become Icons of their own. The way they are doing it is not the way to do it.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#61  Edited By InnerVenom123

Would have preferred Ultimate Miguel O'Hara. :P

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

affirmative action hits the Ultimates? 
    I am all for a new characters under the mask, but they reasoning just smacks of catering to the PC crowd. I am black male and I would rather you not have ANY diversity then to create something to "appeals to minorities" or whatever thought process they used. 
     I am ticked by this because they already had a character in Miquel O' Hara they could have used, so this is just a load of crap and I will not be buying this book!

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By AlKusanagi

Nope, sorry... Peter is Spider-Man, just like how Bruce will always be Batman.

Unless they do some crazy thing where the former Spidey villains think it's really him and hunt him down and take him out, only to have ANOTHER Spider-Man pop up. Then we get a new Spider-Man every month of each race, gender and sexual orientation until that stop being stupid and bring Peter back.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @fodigg said:
    I wonder if Ultimate Spider-Man will finally stop talking like a middle-aged Jewish man now.  

Not that I want them to start throwing "hip" slang into the dialogue to show us all just how much the new Ultimate Spider-Man is all-new, all-interracial, but it would be nice to not see the word "tuchus" every issue and "oy" every other page.
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one bugged by that. 
    Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

@1fearless1 said:
     How many other white characters can you guys name that has been "replaced" by a black dude?
    Green Lantern would be the obvious one. And of course the transition was so successful that plenty non-comic-reading fans of the Justice League animated series thought that the black Green Lantern was the ONLY Green Lantern (of Earth.) 
    Superman was (sort of/one fourth) replaced by Steel when he died. 
    The new Aqualad is black and he's been extremely well received. 
    Firestorm.
    Blue Beetle was replaced by a hispanic kid. 
    Wasn't Daredevil 'replaced' by Black Panther? Because Daredevil's already back, or something. What's the deal with that? 

Maybe I don't know enough Marvel, but it looks like DC's more on the ball with this whole thing, and for the most part doing it really well.
    Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Superguy0009e

diversity is good, especially now that the character is a different race, now a lot more stories can be made rather than the average spiderman tale

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Superguy0009e
    @WiqidBritt: do u have a scan of that page
    PhantomAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By PhantomAres

Even in Ultimate Universe Spider-Man is too established as Peter for anyone to replace him, for me at least, so I am with those against him. 

I'm all for diversity in comics, but why oh why must we continue to have legacy replacements of characters to fill the void? There are plenty of diverse characters out there, but lets face it they are just not as popular (mostly) to last.  

New diverse characters who are written well and have depth are superb. Situations like this, to me at least, just continue to scream PC tokenism.

keith71_98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 195

User Lists: 32

#69  Edited By keith71_98

I just don't get hung up on race. i don't care if he's black, white, Asian, hispanic. But it seems Marvel "knew it had to be a character that represents the diversity". Whenever I hear that I can't help but wonder. If they revealed the character without making that statement, cool. By by making that statement, it smells like quotas or a gimmick.  

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By dernman
    @The Mighty Monarch: I don't consider John Stewart a replacement because there are a entire corps of green lantern.
    I never saw Steel as a replacement either. The only thing that says superman about him is the S Shield and he came out with three others.
    one became a villian. one was an existing character (eradicator), stell became a character of his own, if anything superboy was the replacement.
    Black Panther was already a major character long before going to Daredevils base of operations.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By cattlebattle
    @1fearless1 said:

The Honeymooners!!!
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should be an interesting development. I do like the alliterative name, which is classy. Why didn't they go with my idea and name him Parker Peterson?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By crusader8463
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Interesting, an African-American Spidey! Im open to the idea. Sounds great!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By dernman
    @keith71_98: Your right it would have been less upsetting.
    They made it a point about race with the way they announced it and their reasoning for it . 
    I still would be upsetting about replacing Peter at all but it wouldn't be about race.
    mixupsupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By mixupsupreme
    @crusader8463: lol
    Justize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Justize

When your argument starts off with :"I'm not racist but..." you've already failed. I'm curious to see how Bendis will handle this. I like him. He's a great writer.

Justize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Justize
    @crusader8463: I don't even know why you would even post that but whatever.
    Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

@Dernman said:
    @The Mighty Monarch: I don't consider John Stewart a replacement because there are a entire corps of green lantern. I never saw Steel as a replacement either. The only thing that says superman about him is the S Shield and he came out with three others. one became a villian. one was an existing character (eradicator), stell became a character of his own, if anything superboy was the replacement. Black Panther was already a major character long before going to Daredevils base of operations.
    I've still got Firestorm, Aqualad, and sort of Blue Beetle. And I still say John Stewart counts, because even though there's the corps in space, he replaced Hal as the Green Lantern of Earth, but not only that, he replaced him as the iconic Green Lantern for almost a generation of kids. And I know Steel doesn't 'really' count. 
    Still, the point is, it CAN work. Although none of the characters replaced have been as iconic as Spider-Man, not even Green Lantern, although he's the closest. Blue Beetle's got a damn fine fanbase, from what I've seen, response to the new Aqualad has been extremely positive, Firestorm I don't know how people felt really.
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#80  Edited By Mbecks14

I was ok with Donald Glover being Spider-Man, so i'm ok with this. I love the new Ultimate costume too!

00 Raiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By 00 Raiser

Fascinating!  As a man of color even this is a little bizzare to me but oh well it should prove interesting none the less. DC comics does their replacements so much better. BLAM!!!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#82  Edited By fodigg
    @Wattup said:
    @CaptainCyke said:

I just wished if they were going to add in an all new character then they would do Miguel O'Hara.  Could have been an interesting way to bring 2099 into the Ultimate Universe. Also would have served the "diverse" purpose.

Agreed. Plus, that Spidey 2099 costume is awesome sauce.
    Yes and yes. And they could've made the "O'Hara" side black and had the diversity they were after as well. 

Insert your own "black Irish" joke here.
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By dernman
    @The Mighty Monarch: Your right they are not as iconic which is less upsetting.
    Although some could say firestorm was successful he never really had a chance before Ronald was brought back and is now a shared character.
    Aqualad was a legacy character like Robin they always grow up and get replaced. Blue beetle is a replacement for a replacement even before he died you could expect him to get replaced.
    Except for his run on JLI when he was with Booster never really found his own footing.
    Handski253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Handski253

I would have actually liked Jessica Drew to take over for Peter Parker but I'm curious to see this new kid as Spider-Man, I've enjoyed everything that I've read from Bendis so it should be good regardless

Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Edgeworth_11

Nice to see a Latino hero. There isn't enough of them in the comics. I could only count a handful.
    Illuminarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Illuminarch

Woohoo! This will finally show how relevant comics are to the wider world and end the marginalization I feel!  Iconic character are so boring and...ewww!...white! I'm all for any change that will allow me to show how liberated and superior I am to your average not-fully-politically-correct comic fan. It's not important if a story is good or if a character is compelling, the really important thing to me is that characters are multi-ethnic and portray a sensitivity to problems we face in our diverse multicultural melting pot caused by racist whites and their greedy desire to monopolize super-powers. Even though I will shout long and loud that diversity of comic book characters is highly desirable and universally positive, I have a strong suspicion that colored/crippled/homosexual heroes can't carry their own titles or provoke enough interest in their own original characters, so I fully endorse substituting them for well-liked, well-established characters in the hopes that their residual success will prove that comic book readers are not a bunch of dirty racists.  In fact, to prove I am not a dirty racist, I will start picking up this title even though I have no actual interest in the character.

Also, I swear that although I will complain more or less constantly about the trash Marvel and DC pumps out, I will still eagerly lap up their swill month after month, especially their repetitive and poorly executed Events and #1 relaunches.

Signed,
    Average Comic Book Fan

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Static Shock
    @cattlebattle: LMFAO!
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By dernman
    @Illuminarch said:
    Woohoo! This will finally show how relevant comics are to the wider world and end the marginalization I feel!  Iconic character are so boring and...ewww!...white! I'm all for any change that will allow me to show how liberated and superior I am to your average not-fully-politically-correct comic fan. It's not important if a story is good or if a character is compelling, the really important thing to me is that characters are multi-ethnic and portray a sensitivity to problems we face in our diverse multicultural melting pot caused by racist whites and their greedy desire to monopolize super-powers. Even though I will shout long and loud that diversity of comic book characters is highly desirable and universally positive, I have a strong suspicion that colored/crippled/homosexual heroes can't carry their own titles or provoke enough interest in their own original characters, so I fully endorse substituting them for well-liked, well-established characters in the hopes that their residual success will prove that comic book readers are not a bunch of dirty racists.  In fact, to prove I am not a dirty racist, I will start picking up this title even though I have no actual interest in the character. Also, I swear that although I will complain more or less constantly about the trash Marvel and DC pumps out, I will still eagerly lap up their swill month after month, especially their repetitive and poorly executed Events and #1 relaunches.  Signed, Average Comic Book Fan
    LOL
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By crusader8463
    @Justize: Well you see, they made him black because they realized they needed more black characters. So he is a token black guy in the marvel universe. As per the usual in pop culture, the token black guy is nine times out of ten an offensive stereotype that is just there to appease the black community and to prevent people from calling the series creators racist.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Primmaster64

...I really wish he would have been indian/Latino.

fitchy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By fitchy101

Why must they ruin their books? WHY?!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#92  Edited By fodigg
    @Edgeworth_11 said:

Nice to see a Latino hero. There isn't enough of them in the comics. I could only count a handful.

There was actually already a Latino Spider-Man character, Spidey 2099. Miguel O'Hara is mixed heritage of Irish-American and Mexican-American. Not that there can't be two Latino Spider-Mans, I'm just a fan of Spidey 2099 and you should totally check out some of his stuff. They've put out at least one Spidey 2099 trade paperback of his old issues.
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#93  Edited By Deadcool

I would need time to create love to this character...

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#94  Edited By Erik

I am on board with the new Spider-Man. I think the more Ultimate universe gets away from 616 the better. I just wish Peter was still alive and just taking up a new identity as a regular non-super hero somewhere else.

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#95  Edited By Dr. Detfink

It's a great move because sticking with Peter's death meant that they could close the chapter on one tradition (to be brought back later). At the same time, I'm surprised Marvel didn't go Asian/Hispanic/Black just to cover 3 demographics instead of two. It's sad but that seems to be the only way to make minority characters sell by giving them the best selling brand names. While I never needed my minority race to be represented to like comics, I hope this does create more readership. 

darkcloakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By darkcloakx

great can't wait to check it out the book in trade paperback.

Avatar image for mistersarcastic
    mistersarcastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By mistersarcastic

I don't really care for the U universe so yeah. But why not Miguel - like everyone else is asking? - if they wanted Latino? This kid could have gotten his own title or something.

Justize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Justize
    @crusader8463: Really? Is that their plan? Do you work for Marvel? Well YOU see, none of us know what their motivations behind this is. But since this is Bendis, I'm inclined to think this is more than just the "token black guy" BS argument you just presented to me. This is the same guy who turned Luke Cage from a 2-Dimensional character to a pretty solid member of the Marvel Universe. Maybe they made him black because, that is how Bendis envisioned this new character. But thanks for the BS lesson in Racial Stereotypes, you idiot.
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Kid_Zombie

Should have done Miguel O'Hara.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By crusader8463
    @Justize said:
    @crusader8463: Really? Is that their plan? Do you work for Marvel? Well YOU see, none of us know what their motivations behind this is. But since this is Bendis, I'm inclined to think this is more than just the "token black guy" BS argument you just presented to me. This is the same guy who turned Luke Cage from a 2-Dimensional character to a pretty solid member of the Marvel Universe. Maybe they made him black because, that is how Bendis envisioned this new character. But thanks for the BS lesson in Racial Stereotypes, you idiot.
    Do you work for Marvel? You seem to be so sure that's not the case so I guess you must know some insider info that you should share. At the end of the day no one knows, but as far as I'm concerned that's what it looks like from where I'm sitting so that's what I'm going to keep thinking. Also, you might want to take the stick out of your ass. The picture was a joke. Get over yourself.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.