grim's Ultimate Spider-Man #157 - Death of Spider-Man, Chapter Two review

Making you care...

How can you not care about Spider-Man? That's right. You can't.
 There are very few Marvel comics i actually take the time to read, but i find myself drawn to the Ultimate Spider-Man line. Perhaps is because everything that happens in the Ultimate U doesnt really count to me like i does in the 616.

But anyway, onto the issue.
 As is fairly obvious due to the large black tab across the top of this and several other Ultimate covers, Ultimate Spider-Man's life is coming to an end as we know it. And while that sweet release didnt happen in this issue... well, we made some serious progress in the right direction.

With Peter very much aware that all of his greatest villains have escaped, and know his identity, his first thought of course about others. Peter gets Aunt May and Gwen Stacy out of town. Meanwhile, the escaped villains try to figure out what their going to do about Parker, and one of them bites the bullet... or maybe i should say big flaming fist.

There is very little that can be said about the ending without giving it away (which i would never want to do with an ending like this), but like the summary above says: "Leave your cynicism at the door". This just got real, and its barely started. And the best part is, when all is said and done... it doesnt really count!

Posted by Rudyftw

I thought Gwen died?

Edited by Captain Bintang
@Rudyftw: it`s an Ultimate `thing`...(i guess)
Posted by Grim
@Captain Bintang: @Rudyftw:  yeah. in ultimate u, peter dated mj, Shadowcat, then Gwen, and mj again as of like 4 issues ago. also, Johnny storm, Iceman, and Gwen all live with him and Aunt may ( who knows he is spiderman).
.... thats why i said ut doesnt count. ultamate u is (what, 10 years now?) of what ifs. and its all very interesting, but it doesnt count.
Edited by Rudyftw

So it's basically another world....?

@Rudyftw said:
" I thought Gwen died? "
Not in the Ultimate Universe.
Posted by AirDave817

Gwen went through some weird changes, but she seems to be normal now...She was gone, but now she's back. I'm not really sure I like how "easily" (yes, I made air quotes before typing that) that seemed to be resolved.

This new direction seems to be something like that Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends...

@AirDave817 said:

i think thats one of the things that made me like this new Ultimate Spiderman. The fact that his house became some Spiderman and his Amazing Friends group home. I used to love that show...