Ultimate Comics Ultimates #26

Posted by inferiorego (20586 posts) - - Show Bio

There are some minor spoilers ahead, mainly from issue #25.

The Good

Reed Richards takes on Sue Storm and Ben Grimm for a fight over the Infinity Gems.

I love this Dark Ultimates team. I love the idea of a bad guy truly believing that what he's doing is for the greater good, to a point where the reader starts to question where their alliances lie. Look, I know Reed Richards is a few [insert thing which references craziness] short of a [multiple amounts of thing smaller item relates to in order to prove amount of crazy], but this seems to be a fight for the future, and while I, as an Ultimates fan, wants to see him get beat down, I'm much more interested in seeing him complete his task.

While we're on the subject, I love the fight between Sue and Ben and Reed. It was exciting, and the dialogue really kept helping these scenes move smoothly while heightening the emotion between these characters. I love how artist Carmine Di Giandomenico draws Reed. He puts shadows and crevasses within his body as he uses his powers. It gives the character a lot more depth, and strangely, adds a sense of reality to Reed and makes him look a lot more fluid.

I have no problem with sex/race switching with a character, in another universe. I'm actually glad Failkov (or the editors... whomever) did it with Kang. It's not a gimmick and this Kang has a connection to some of the characters in this book, but what is it? And while the design is very similar to the 616-version, I like what Giandomenico did with this version of Kang. I love the cape, and I love the fact she's an incredibly threatening villain. Don't mess with Kang.

The Bad

After the reveal of the "Dark Ultimates," in the last issue. I was hoping we'd get to see these guys work as a team. They still feel a bit disjointed, but all working under the same ideology.

I'm still a little weary on the idea of the Infinity Gems being introduced into this book. It seems a little too fantasyish for an Ultimate book, but so far, it's being handled well.

The Verdict

I've been really back and forth on this book. Do I give it 5 stars? Do I give it 4 stars? How about 4.5? Oh wait... we don't do that. It's a tough decision, and while I really enjoyed every moment of this issue, it just didn't hit my imaginary 5 star criteria. I think these past two issues have really revitalized this series. A new life has been breathed into it.

The art and writing are a perfect fit for each other and for this book. The story, which I didn't know if certain aspects would work, so far is a blast. I love this Dark Ultimates team, and I'm really loving Kang. This book is a hit and an exciting ride.

Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

Staff
#1 Posted by Pokergeist (22329 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweeeeeet :)

#2 Posted by JamDamage (1105 posts) - - Show Bio

a female Kang??? stupid

#3 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4517 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Edited by ThePRez (269 posts) - - Show Bio

I didnt expect the last panel

#5 Posted by tommyx (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Female Kang? Qucksilver's sister, anyone?....

#6 Posted by Watcherg6 (263 posts) - - Show Bio

@tommyx: I wonder if Kang is Ben and Sue's Great Grand daughter?

@jamdamage: Why does kang need to be a guy? really? she's going to lose the same, has a man

My Question, BEN GRIMM IS FINALLY IN A COMIC!!!! My Question is WHERE HAS HE BEEN? did they have a kid? is he a stay at home dad? is HE WEARING FF Clothes? Ultimate Ben Grimm, It seems like Ultimate Marvel wants him out, or is it just Me?

#7 Posted by lola12holloway (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I must give my thanks to Ashley, who posted here last week comment about system she uses to earn onlin℮... I've got my FIRST check total of $550, pretty cool.! I am so exicted, this is the first time i actually earned something. I am going to work even harder new and i can't wait for next week payment. You can try it for yourself>............. www.Jm10.ℂom

#8 Posted by Oscars94 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow these issues have been awesome!

#9 Posted by SoA (4592 posts) - - Show Bio

@tommyx: kang did mention she knew clint , whether its a time thing or she may in fact be wanda is still anyone's guess

#10 Posted by airbound_dude (65 posts) - - Show Bio

i think that female kang could be future version of sue herself. it would be unexpected

#11 Edited by buddha07 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

in the prior issue reed richards reminded me of akira from the anime movie for some reason

#12 Edited by AWeekInGeekdom (212 posts) - - Show Bio

The whole arc started with a bang, loved the art and direction! FINALLY we get to see Ben! I know everyone hates Ultimatum but I like the idea that the wave somewhat caused one of the gems. When... stuff goes down, you gotta keep moving forward.

By the way, they never mentioned what happened with Quicksilver and the stuff with the government, Egypt and what not, did they?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.