Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #22

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

There are spoilers in this review. Major spoilers will be blacked out for your safety.

The Good

Spider-Man and Venom duke it out in a hospital, then something insane happens.

Brian Michael Bendis has been writing ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN books since, well, since the series started, and the vast majority of the time, his books are a ton of fun, and while there's a big, horribly sad moment, in this issue, I really enjoyed it and had a ton of fun reading it. The fight scene between Spidey and Venom kept me on the edge of my seat, and the conclusion of this battle is epic.

Bendis does a fine job with the pacing here as well. It's a very fluid issue. It will feel like it took you mere minutes to read because it just flows that well.

By far, the best part of this issue has to be the art of Sara Pichelli and the colors of Justin Ponsor. During these fight sequences, the page layouts are small and span multiple pages, giving this quick, chaotic feeling, as you watch Miles try his best to defeat this monster. Pichelli shows movement so insanely well throughout the issue, and her art is so clear and crisp. On the sadder side of things, but just as brilliant, Pichelli and Parson do a stellar job with the end of the issue as Miles realizes and remembers what happened to him the night before. The look of horror and pain on his face is Earth-moving. The final page of this issue, art wise is my favorite final page of the week.

The Bad

While this issue is incredibly sad and really pulls at the heartstrings, it's just another comic using death as a plot device. I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty "death'd" out. After Miles' mother dies, we see Miles ripping up his costume. It's getting to a point where that feels like that is the only way many writers know how to make a point.

The next issue's cover features a tribute to AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #50, with Miles walking away from a garbage can with his costume in it. What will probably happen is the guys from the Roxxon Industries will put Miles in a place where he has to become Spider-Man again. Yes, assuming this is incredibly stupid since none of it has happened, but I feel, as of late, with this book, the story telling has gotten predictable, and it is beginning to repeat a lot of what we've already seen in Spider-Man books. Hopefully, the next few issues completely prove my assumptions wrong.

The Verdict

While ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #22 is a very fun and action packed issue, it’s a pretty big downer. This is is going to change the direction of this book in a big way, and while I'm not the keenest on the idea of death being used as a plot device again, it's still, overall, a great issue. Pichelli's art is a brilliant masterpiece of visual story telling, and Bendis paces this issue incredibly well.

Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rixec

Predictable? Everyone thought his dad was gonna buy it! And now Miles has lost the parent he has the closest emotional ties to; this is his true Uncle Ben moment! Even though Peter and his uncle Aaron died Miles didn't truly feel the loss of losing someone he knew and cared for that was wholly good until now. Now Miles can truly be Spider-Man now that he has experienced this loss. And the next issue starts off as One Year Later. Who knows what could happen.

Batmandemon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@rixec said:

Predictable? Everyone thought his dad was gonna buy it! And now Miles has lost the parent he has the closest emotional ties to; this is his true Uncle Ben moment! Even though Peter and his uncle Aaron died Miles didn't truly feel the loss of losing someone he knew and cared for that was wholly good until now. Now Miles can truly be Spider-Man now that he has experienced this loss. And the next issue starts off as One Year Later. Who knows what could happen.

really, i thought it would around 5-10 years since in the solicits miles looks older than 14.

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NightRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NightRunner

Your're CRAY CRAY Matt, sorry to go there but I don't consider this a typical death as a plot device. I think Miles's reaction was totally appropriate given what happen and you dont see it coming till the last minute. I dont think anyone can tell me they that knew it was going to happen from page one.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By mrkareemruiz

I THINK THIS COMIC IS EPIC!

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Twentyfive

The most hype for any comic out right now!!

skyjumpermike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By skyjumpermike

Going to miss Pichelli on this comic... Reading Guardians of the Galaxy just because she will be drawing.

nickxh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder who will be stepping in as a rotating artist with David Marquez or is it just him alone?

HollowPrince65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a while now I wondered if Miles would ever get that huge Uncle Ben moment, not to say that The Prowler incident wasn't bad enough. This issue felt satisfying and an emotional roller coaster. Beautiful art and just amazing story. I am so excited to see Ultimate Kate Bishop (Will she be Hawkeye like in 616? 0.o) and Cloak and Dagger! This is going to be an awesome summer.

Avatar image for thenexusrebound
    thenexusrebound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't see the death coming at all. You really feel for Miles since he loses the most supportive individual in his life. His reaction shows just how much he is hurting, not over the top. I mean you have to take into consideration he is 14. I think from here we will start to see Miles become a stronger Spider-man once he is snapped out of his funk.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By w0nd

@hollowprince65: Yeah plus his uncle Ben moment was directly causes by him, had he not been sloppy and more responsible it wouldn't have happened.

Pete's was a cause of him just not getting in the way of police duty, (something he later gets in trouble for daily, doing the police' job and all that) Out of spite, sure, who would help someone who just robbed you, tried to stiff you, or was just plain rude to you depending on the story, (the wrestling manager) not many people would want to help.

Miles was just a boy playing super hero and it got someone killed. Peter was a boy who became a super hero because someone got killed. I am perfectly fine with death if it leads to interesting stories. His dad hates super powered people, his wife was killed by a super powered battle, and his son is the reason why.

Can't tell me no good stories will come out of that. Peter could tell his aunt who he was at any time, sure Ben died because he didn't stop a robber, but how could you predict that would come back and bite him in the butt. She would forgive him and say it's not his fault, This whole thing IS Miles fault.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my goodness. This issue was amazing. I found myself shedding a tear at the end. It was surprising, and tragic.

So sad. I hope Miles grows into an awesome Spider-Man after all this.

Rolls7royce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rolls7royce

While this issue is incredibly sad and really pulls at the heartstrings, it's just another comic using death as a plot device. I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty "death'd" out.

This. Times a thousand.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

This issue made me really mad. Not mad at the book, or mad at Bendis, just really upset for Miles's loss. I feel a lot about this issue the way I felt about what Morrison did in Batman Incorporated, where it's not a story I would write or want to see, but I can't deny that it was a legitimate plot turn done in good taste. What happened here held much more weight for me than most of the high profile deaths in comics.

But I will miss the idea of a Spider-Man who actually has a happy family life.

wolverine1610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My comment has spoilers so don't read if you dont want to know

I think they are making parallels to peter for miles with the death of a parent/guardian figure, he'll quit for a while and then he'll come back when he hears that peter's uncle was killed by peter's actions, the ultimates will give him a new suit and some working web fluid and he'll start the saga again by being spider-man while trying to keep his dad on edge. what i want to know is how did his mom know he was spider-man? maybe she saw the suit in his bag on a visit or something because he lives in a boarding school and got his powers there so there's not much chance to interact to know such things

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i think this is one of the best comics ive read in a long time. well done.

bookerman20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

One of my favorite comics right now. It's easy to root for Miles, and I want to root for Miles.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my goodness. This issue was amazing. I found myself shedding a tear at the end. It was surprising, and tragic.

So sad. I hope Miles grows into an awesome Spider-Man after all this.

This. I've never cried from reading a comic book. I nearly came to tears earlier in this series when he accidentally killed his uncle, and was crying in bed at night. And I just couldn't help myself this time around. This 12 year old should not be going through so much. Its really emotional. I also hope this makes him grow into a strong Spider-Man later in life. Miles just isn't going to be the wise cracking spiderman that peter was. He simply has had a much tougher childhood.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.