I Can Relate: Good Uncle Gone Bad (Ultimate Spider-man 11 and 12)

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

Edited By Delphic
    Ultimate Spider-Man #11
    Ultimate Spider-Man #11

I had this idea for a new series of blogs, and the thought came to me while catching up on my comics the other night, and one of the comics I found myself reading was Ulitmate Spider-Man issue #11, when something happened in the book that made me feel like I could really relate to that moment. That’s what “I Can Relate” is about. I’m going to take those certain moments from comics that seem to hit at core points that can happen in our own lives. Tonight though I want to talk about when a favorite family member lets you down.

If you haven’t been keeping up with Ultimate Comics here’s a quick rundown of what has happened so far. Peter Parker has died, and Miles Morales, nephew of Aaron Davis, aka the Prowler, has a similar accident, and becomes the new Spider-man. Miles became the new Spider-man as a result of the Prowler robbing Oscorp of one of its experimental spiders. When Miles went to see his Uncle the Spider got loose and Miles was accidently bitten. Aaron eventually puts two and two together and discovers that Miles is the new Spider-man. Aaron then tries to blackmail Miles and use him as a sort of enforcer to help him take down the Scorpion, and other forms of criminal activities. If he doesn’t Aaron will reveal to Miles father that he is Spider-man knowing well that Miles father disapproves of costumed heroes.

The Good Times
    The Good Times

The panel in question is on the very first page of issue eleven. In the top corner you can see: 5 years ago. Miles is sitting in his Uncle Aaron’s living room watching a kung-fu film. Miles is mesmerized by what he sees, and when it goes off he is so excited that he asks his uncle if they can watch another one, Aaron says he can’t, but promises that another time they might. Being somewhat responsible he sends Miles home to his parents, but tells him that if his dad asks he was doing his homework. Miles being the child sees his uncle as cool, and thinks the world of him because Uncle Aaron is his “buddy”. Then things change.

A Hero Gone Bad
    A Hero Gone Bad

The next panel skips to present day where Uncle Aaron and Miles are on a roof both in their respective costumes. Uncle prepares to take down the Scorpion and enlists the reluctant Miles help. After the fight with Scorpion Miles sees that his Uncle is using him, and refuses to help him again. Aaron tries to blackmail Miles by threatening to tell his parents about his costumed heroics. For a while Miles tries to brush his uncle off, but Aaron continues to harass him, and when Aaron threatens to hurt him or possibly someone close to him Miles confronts his Uncle warning him to stay away from him and his family. The Prowler enraged at his nephew disposition attacks and Miles is forced to fight him. During the fight there are moments when Miles seems to show small pockets of mercy towards his uncle, showing that he does remember the good times he had with his Uncle.

Standing up and against
    Standing up and against

This moment is massive in its emotional tension, and potential relation to its readers. Though not all of us, there have been some of us who have been let down by a family member. We remember the times we had when we were younger: the simpler times. For example, there is a member of your family that you love. They are cool, fun to be around, they are your buddy, your hero, and you can’t wait to grow up to be just like them and do what they can do. Then that day comes when you do grow up, and time does what it does best: It changes things. Say you see that uncle, brother, sister, cousin, or whoever for whom they really are or what they have become. You see that dark side of them. Now all of a sudden that person who was once your hero, disgusts you now. You can’t fathom what happened, and it disturbs you to no end, but that person who you once wanted to be like, you want to be nothing like at all now.

Most of the time we all have our own ways of dealing with family members like Mile’s Uncle Aaron. Some ignore them, some confront them, and some completely shun them and cast them out of their lives. I believe though, people tend to remember the things that make them happy, even those times when that despised family member was once upon a time that person’s hero. It doesn’t matter how heartbreaking it is to remember those good times, people will still remember them.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#1  Edited By RazzaTazz

Yes interesting, we often give family more leeway than friends and this can make it so that we don't see them for who they are.  

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Captain13

I love Ultimate Comics Spider-Man. The characters and relationships are incredibly compelling.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.