tomlikesfries's Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #22 - Venom War; Part 4 review

Spider-Man No More!

This is easily one of the best issues of the series so far. Bendis can be defined as a "hit or miss" writer. I usually like his work, but I admit that his writing can be fairly poor as well, as shown in the current Age of Ultron event that has been mediocre so far. Thankfully, this is no miss.

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #22 concludes the Venom War arc with a bang. I honestly expected a little more from the other issues, but this one pays off. BMB delivers an intriguing plot that makes you wonder what's going to happen next. The worst part is having to wait another month to see how this is all going to unfold. Is Miles' identity safe? We don't know and that's only one of the many things that makes this issue so good. There are big revelations and the character is being taken into an entirely new direction! We can only hope that this series lasts as long as the original Ultimate Spider-Man series did, that is just as good.

From the beggining and all the way to the very conclusion, we get a superbly exciting fight scene between Miles and Venom. By the end, Bendis delivers a bit of drama for a change and, although the whole thing was actually predictable, it was still heartbreaking. Truth be told, I almost cried. Poor Miles... The kid can't catch a break.

And kudos to Sara Pichelli. If it weren't for her highly detailed art, the issue might not have been as enjoyable as it was. Fight scenes look gorgeous and characters' facial expressions are really realistic. 'Tis no Greg Land, folks!

Overall, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #22 was an amazing issue with an intriguing plot, shocking revelations and top-notch artwork. I give it a 9.5/10. I just wish more people were reading the series, because it does deserve a bigger audience.

Edited by johnkmccubbin91

Great review, totally agree. It's also nice to see you back doing reviews : )

Posted by tomlikesfries
Edited by broo1232

Nice review wish you did more reviews :)

Edited by tomlikesfries

@broo1232: I think I'll start writing more reviews now. Only after reviewing this issue I realized how much I missed it.

And thanks :P

Posted by broo1232
Edited by johnkmccubbin91

@tomlikesfries: No problem, and nice to hear that your considering doing more as you do really good reviews.

Posted by SUPER-MAN 23

I've only read some of the first issues of this series. I guess one of the first issues didn't hook me onto the series. What issue is a good jumping on point for this series? I stopped at like 4 when it was released? Great review by the way. The Venom War sounds interesting and I might have to check that story arc out.

Posted by tomlikesfries

@super_man_23: Thanks! To be honest, I've been really liking the series since pretty much the first issue, although it has had a few drops in quality. As for a good jumping on point, I'd say the latest issue isn't such a bad start, but you'd have to know what happens in Venom War (the conclusion pretty much).