inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

The history of Pandora is explained. She walks as an immortal throughout time paying for her sin and has her own mission to complete.

Man, the Trinity of Sin don't live the happiest of lives, do they? It's a pretty lonely road they have to travel and in this first issue of the PANDORA series, we learn why Pandora is a part of the Trinity of Sin. I won't give it away. This will be as spoiler-free as possible. She walks the Earth for thousands of years searching for something. At first, all these disconnected moments in time didn't make sense to me, but it all dawned on me in a singular moment that it's more about her "living" on this planet more than anything else. She's survived for thousands of years without mentally deteriorating. She has a task to complete, and she's willing to do anything to complete it.

The book ends on a pretty cool note, which is a lead in to the start of the Trinity War. Pandora will once again be making her way into another book, but this time, she'll have a purpose. She needs to talk to some of Earth's heroes in order to achieve her goal.

Two different art teams on this book, and it's not a huge problem. The only time you'll really notice it is when the page layouts become a bit more dynamic and interesting. You'll notice it on page 8, when artist Patrick Zircher takes over, with Hi-Fi on colors. His opening page, with Pandora's head floating at the top, and her silhouette walking away to the left, is easily my favorite panel in the book, not to take anything away from the other art team of Zander Cannon (layouts), Daniel Sampere (pencils), Vicente Cifuentes (inks), and Hi-Fi on colors. Their second and final pages are really stand outs here as well. Again, while it is two different art teams here, their art all meshes together very well.

VANDAL SAVAGE! He gets his own little section because I love seeing him pop up in books.

Might as well talk about the cover, right? Ryan Sook put the cover together here, and it's pretty awesome. It's probably one of my favorite from the week.

The Bad

I was not really into this book on the first read through. I thought it was ok, at best. However, I always like to read a book a few times before I babble on paper, and I found myself really enjoying the book. It was weird, and I couldn't place my finger about what I didn't like about it, until I started writing this. The mystery of Pandora is gone. Everything about her and her history is explained here. Don't get me wrong, it's done very well, but what drew me the character, this aura of mystery, feels completely gone. I'm sure there are tales to tell from her past, but what drew me to this character feels evaporated.

The Verdict

I kept this pretty spoil free because it's worth your time and money. Sure, I'm a little bummed that most of the mystery behind this character has been stripped away, but this book is an excellent read. We get to know pretty much everything about this character, and it does make her more interesting, not just a figure in the shadows like she's been for the past couple of years. Her backstory is very interesting and it got me even more pumped for Trinity War. Just get off your butt and go buy it already.

Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

gonna pick this one up!

Avatar image for gambitpryde1993
    gambitpryde1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Great review, Mat. I enjoyed the floating head panel as well. I have a few questions though. Do you think that Pandora will interact with The Question in this series at all? Will we find out his identity in this book? Also, is this an ongoing or a miniseries?

I'm really looking forward to seeing Pandora's interactions with Superman.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 inferiorego  Staff

@gambitpryde1993: From what I know, this is an on-going.

I really hope we get to see her interact (and beat the crap out of) The Question because he's a bit of a jerk.

I'm sure The Question will get his own title as well. DC is really trying to push these characters.

Thanks for reading!

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

Looks like you and I overlapped entirely this week, @inferiorego. Heh.

I will say, I'm not really sure what you were worried about spoiling. I can't think of anything in particular that happened in this issue that hasn't been talked about (or explicitly shown) already in previous issues.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 inferiorego  Staff

@akbogert said:

Looks like you and I overlapped entirely this week, @inferiorego. Heh.

I will say, I'm not really sure what you were worried about spoiling. I can't think of anything in particular that happened in this issue that hasn't been talked about (or explicitly shown) already in previous issues.

I just don't want to spoil the main story at all, including why Pandora is what she is. I can never remember what's already been revealed.

Nice write ups, btw!

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: Thanks! And fair enough. I felt like, as someone who has purposely tracked down all the Pandora stuff prior to today, this issue wasn't so much about revealing information as fleshing things out; things which had been told were now shown, etc. It was kind of like reading an essay after having previously been given an abstract: you knew what would happen, but now you got all the details.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By lifeboy

I gotta say, I hate this new comicvine setup. It doesn't let you see the cover of the comic on the review page so I haveno idea about the sook art inferiorego is talking about. Also, If the reviewer doesn't mention the names of the creative team, there is no way of knowing, since we can't see the comic credits on the cover. I suspect keith giffen wrote this and if I am ri ght, I think you are being too cautious about the score. Cautious and hopeful I'm guessing.

One thing I can point out about this comic that is kind of a new thing for me: this Is the first time at the front of my mind that a heroine is dressed like this instead of skin tight outfits. Not saying its a good thing for all, just that pandora dressed like this, I can accept.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Do you think that reading this will be necessary to understand Trinity War?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I looking forward to reading this.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lifeboy

@renchamp:

I'm using a mobile because its quicker to use. But I think you knew what I meant. Nice screen grab though.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hawkguy

Interesting issue, extremely interesting character... I'm even MORE excited for Trinity War now, I can't wait to see how all the teams clash and how Pandora plays into it all. Nice lil Randal Savage moment too, I wonder if he'll be back.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lifeboy

@renchamp: at least from your screen grab, I can see that, yes, tthe cover is good sook art...

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

The mystery of Pandora is gone. Everything about her and her history is explained here. Don't get me wrong, it's done very well, but what drew me the character, this aura of mystery, feels completely gone. I'm sure there are tales to tell from her past, but what drew me to this character feels evaporated.

I didn't not realize that I had this problem with this issue until I read your review. But yes, that is what didn't sit well with me. Otherwise, I seriously loved this issue and as a fan of Pandora from the get-go, I thought it was a great issue and solid lead in to what's to come.

I guess we'll see going forward if she manages to hold attention.

YdurZatara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By YdurZatara

The book was great and I'm glad this quality of work will continue from this book. I, for one, think that having learned about Pandora's past doesn't ruin the character at all. I much rather have a reason for her actions, than to wonder why she does what she does.

The one character in the entirety of the DCU that should be kept completely under wraps is the Question.

crevicekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@jayc1324: same question from me

No, I don't think so. But I guess it partly depends on what you've read before (for example, if you're reading Justice League, there were backups dealing with Pandora in issues 6 and 0, and the FCBD issue from last year covered a lot as well). If you want to know as much as possible without having actually read the issues (basically if you're just looking to save money), check out the link I posted earlier in this thread which covers this issue and links to my discussion of Pandora. The prologue to Trinity War was also covered in the prior couple issues of Justice League (I reviewed those here).

But the short answer is that this issue is more about understanding Pandora than understanding Trinity War. The most important thing is that this establishes (in case you'd previously missed it) that Pandora's on a mission to find someone "strong of heart" who can open the box again, and she will do whatever it takes to make that happen.

@mercy_ said:

@inferiorego said:

The mystery of Pandora is gone. Everything about her and her history is explained here. Don't get me wrong, it's done very well, but what drew me the character, this aura of mystery, feels completely gone. I'm sure there are tales to tell from her past, but what drew me to this character feels evaporated.

I didn't not realize that I had this problem with this issue until I read your review. But yes, that is what didn't sit well with me. Otherwise, I seriously loved this issue and as a fan of Pandora from the get-go, I thought it was a great issue and solid lead in to what's to come.

I guess we'll see going forward if she manages to hold attention.

I'm actually a little curious about this. You've said "what drew me to this character" but like I said earlier I don't really feel like there was anything revealed here which hadn't been revealed previously in terms of Pandora's motivations -- and I'd assume people "drawn" to Pandora would have read the previous stories that showed her backstory and motivations.

I know it's weird to ask but can either of you elaborate on exactly what this issue took from you that had still been there prior to reading it?

Ashr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I enjoyed the book, the "sin" committed by Pandora which leads to all that follows is contrived at best. Anyone else feel that way?

Also, where does the artifact skull come from? Was it revealed in another book?

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashr: Keep in mind Pandora (sans red hood and wizards) is a very old mythological character, and her "sin" wasn't invented by DC -- it's timeless legend. Can't really call something cliché when it's the basis of all subsequent clichés.

As for the box itself, no, its origins have not (as far as I know) been explained. Who made it, and who put it where Pandora was almost destined to find it, are still questions which lack answers. And actually that could make for some fun storytelling even after Trinity War and the box are dealt with, which makes Pandora's series being an ongoing rather than a mini make a bit more sense.

AWeekInGeekdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AWeekInGeekdom

I kinda have to agree, after reading this issue Pandora's mysteries (well, except the box) are all but gone IMO. I'm sure there are tons of great things to explore but I would have made that first issue a riddle or inform fans/readers about Pandora's past in bits and pieces through out her series. Maybe small back-ups?

Purgatory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care for this Trinity crap.

If any of the 3 should get a book it's Question.

And I hate that he's some sort of immortal force like Stranger. I like him as a human detective who's crazy as hell.

This Trinity crap should go straight to the garbage.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@purgatory: yeah it should had been the spectre not the question as of one the trinity of sin

ajshadowhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#29  Edited By ajshadowhawk

I liked the issue for the most part. Some glaring flaws, such as the next-to-no exposition on greek mythology, and the fact that as a standalone, it is not as tight a story, but other than that, I'm really excited for Trinity War. Its shaping up to be really good.

I re-read all the previous appearances of Pandora after reading this and the complete story so far is excellent.

I just posted my thoughts here.

danaandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

People itching for a Question title should know that DC's version of the Question is not the Question. He only looks like the Question. Anyone who likes the Question should check out the masterwork by the character's creator, Steve Ditko ... in Mysterious Suspense #1, published by Charlton way back in the dark ages of 1968. It's the "return" of the Question because he originally appeared as a back-up feature in Charlton's Blue Beetle title, also by Ditko.

bennyq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashr: I had the same two questions. Her sin seemed to be really nothing serious. Hopefully it'll be cleared up soon!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32 the_stegman  Moderator

It was okay..not great, though I don't know why it's an ongoing. It seems to me that people will stop caring about Pandora once this whole Trinity War is over. If anything, this should be a mini series.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

her sin is MAJOR. hello she released the seven sins that we have to deal with today that caused all the wars and evils we have in the world. i love the idea of pandora and this was a really great book. i love when writing and art comes together. so much explain yet there is still mystery. we saw her training but what are all the skills she has learned?

bennyq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perfect_10: The sins being released were the result of her sin, not the actual sin, which seems only to be opening the box. In the trinity war prelude we see her saying she doesn't know what she did wrong do maybe it'll be addressed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.