elephant_man's Transmetropolitan: Back on the Street #1 - Back on the Street review

Hit the ground running

The first volume of Transmetropolitan tells the beginnings of the astoundingly crude and violent journalist,  Spider Jerusalem.

Story: Spiders tale begins when he is forced to leave his beloved mountain and return to the city, (which is the only place he can truly write but hates), in order to write two books for his "Whorehopper" editor. When Spider returns to the city, he is flat broke. He gets a job from his old friend, Mitchel Royce where he must write a weekly column for the newspaper The Word. Things kick off from there to Spider stopping a riot, "adopting" a cigarette loving, two-headed, cat, shooting the president with a Bowel Disruptor, spending a whole day watching senseless television, and ending up completely destroying an organized  "religions" convention. This is just the beginning of the story.

Writing: Very well written. Warren Ellis does a terrific job at keeping the reader engrossed in the story. When I picked this up I honestly couldn't wait to find out what happens next. The characters and setting really draws you in, and make you reach for that next volume.

Illustrations:  Well drawn and colorful. There is a lot of detail in Robertson's work, yet you can still tell what the focus is set on.

Overall: Transmetropolitan is one of my favorite series. The story, characters, setting, and dialog all draw you in to the experience. This book makes you feel cheated when you reached the end because you just want to keep reading and find out whats going to happen next. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for something to read, or something new altogether.

Posted by Silkcuts

good review. :D
I am surprised I didn't review this yet.
Have to upgrade to the better newer trade then the skinny little one.

Posted by Trodorne

Looks like a good book to get into, thanks for the review.