Follow

Torchwood Institute

Team » Torchwood Institute appears in 34 issues.

Outside the government, beyond the police. Tracking down alien life on Earth, arming the human race against the future. The twenty-first century is when everything changes -- and Torchwood is ready.

Torchwood: Children Of Earth Is Coming Tonight (Review)

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

"We Are Coming."  If you've seen the trailer for Torchwood: Children Of Earth, you know how creepy that can sound when all the children of the world freeze and start saying that in unison.    Children Of Earth has already aired in the UK (you can read Elixir95's review HERE) and the show airs tonight, Monday, July 20 from 9:00 - 10:15 p.m. ET/PT on BBC America and BBC America HD.  A new episode will premiere each night with the previous night's episode encoring at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT.  Each episode consists of one day in this epic event.

Creator, lead writer and executive producer Russell T Davies said:

I wanted to tell a story in which civilization snaps, in which we turn on ourselves, in which nothing is safe.  Plenty of people live like that, on this planet.  In this story, it's Britain's turn.

Things do get crazy.

What is Torchwood about?  Basically they are a group separate from the government that works outside the police and outside the United Nations.  In fact, the government isn't even supposed to know about them.  Their goal is to protect Earth against alien threats.  

Starting off as a spin-off of Doctor Who, Torchwood has gone beyond that.   Torchwood is clearly a more 'adult' show consisting of more violence, language and even nudity.  If you haven't seen Torchwood before (or even Doctor Who), Children Of Earth is a good place to start.

Day 1 starts off as a normal day...until the children simply stop moving.  When they all begin speaking in the same voice saying, "We are coming," everyone knows something is happening.  Without giving too much away, let's just say that things will not be the same for Torchwood after this 'first day.'  The team is forced to rebuild itself.  They no longer have luxury of sitting in comfort as they take on the threat.

During Day 2,  you really start noticing the cursing and shooting.  Again, it's clear that this is not a typical Doctor Who episode.  What I really liked was after an explosion, you see things from a character's perspective including the muffled sound and ringing in their ears.  A nice touch.

Day 3 finds Torchwood getting back to the basics.  They need to rebuild themselves in order to handle the situation.  It was during this episode that I marveled over the fact that this wasn't a 'neat' little story that wrapped itself up after an hour.  Having the story spread out over five days gives it a more realistic feel.  Throughout, we delve further into the characters of Jack Harkness, Gwen Cooper and Ianto Jones as we find out more and more about them.  As I mentioned, none of them will be the same after this story.  The touch of seeing a tie to Jack's past was intriguing. 

I also started wondering during Day 3, what would happen if the Doctor did arrive on Earth during this crisis?  Is this something that he could have solved in one 'day'?  Is this crisis any more severe than the ones he's faced?

On Day 4 I noticed that things simply are more intense than a Doctor Who episode.  Again having the story take place over five days was a nice touch, although some moments did feel as if things were starting to drag on.  The music really sets the mood.  You feel the emotion and turmoil the characters have to face.

Day 5 arrives and things don't look good.  One of the characters (I won't mention which) brings up my question about what if the Doctor arrived to save the day.  The conclusion surmised as to why he hasn't is a disturbing one that may or may not be true.  The reason the "threat" wants the kids felt a little cheesey but also shows how skeezy things can be, not just on our little planet.  I did feel things really start to drag in the beginning of this day.  Soon you start seeing the emotion again.  You see the characters come to life as they ponder over what they are willing and have to sacrifice in order to solve the crisis.

Children Of Earth was a fun ride.  With all the twists and turns, you don't know what to expect (especially if you've managed to avoid the spoilers).  The show shows that no one is safe.  The entire premise of the show is shaken up and it's a nice change.  I'm not one for seeing the lead characters punished or abused, but by not knowing what happens next, you get pushed out of your comfort zone.  They're not going to holding hands and skipping off into the sunset at the end.  My only complaints would be I wasn't too crazy about the "threat" and I felt it could have taken place in perhaps four days over five.  It's a borderline 4/4.5 out of 5.  Check out the show tonight on BBC America.  Even if you haven't seen an episode before and regardless if you like Doctor Who or not, it's worth watching.  The story and presentation was very ambitious and I felt it did deliver at the end.  Watch it and see for yourself.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I don't know whether to watch it tonight, or to wait until next week for the DVD

bloodshed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By bloodshed

i love this show,even if captain jack is gay.
    it kinda adds some spice to the mix.
    it's not as good as doctor who,in my opinion.

zombiecomputer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By zombiecomputer

I'm setting up my Tivo box right now.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @inferiorego said:
    " I don't know whether to watch it tonight, or to wait until next week for the DVD "
    I watched all five episodes over two nights (thanks to BBC America sending me a screener).  I do think having it spread out sort of adds to the "days."  But as I mentioned, there were a couple parts where things seemed to drag a tiny bit.  You definitely don't want to get spoiled by things that happen.  In that regard, I'd say watch it as soon as you can.  But the convenience of DVD is nice and keeps you from having to wait for the next episode.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @inferiorego said:
    " I don't know whether to watch it tonight, or to wait until next week for the DVD "
    WATCH IT!!  

At least experience the novelty of going along with it every day.  Enjoying a new show every night.  Wondering how it's going to finish... After that, you can watch it all in one go on DVD as many times as you like, but I still think you should watch it tonight instead of waiting the extra week :)

@bloodshed said:
    " i love this show,even if captain jack is gay.it kinda adds some spice to the mix.it's not as good as doctor who,in my opinion. "
    He's bi.  If it is alive & moves, he'd have sex with it.  It doesn't even have to be human...
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @bloodshed said:
    " i love this show,even if captain jack is gay. "
    He's omnisexual
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck

Yeah, Captain Jack puts Captain Kirk to shame.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

In my opinion, one of the few GREAT spin-offs.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Moomin123

This is probably one of the only shows where the main hero is bisexual. The show still kicks arse!
    My favourite episode so far is the episode with the Night Travellers and the Ghostmaker

Blushadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Blushadow

ive sen it in it's really good with a very cool ending

welshguy79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By welshguy79

I'm not sure how American viewers find Torchwood (or Doctor Who for that matter). Speaking personally. Torchwood the Children of Earth is its strongest series yet. Its very welsh in places (not sure how that translates to those across the pond) and one scene in particular in the first episode demonstrates this perfectly. Beyond that, the Children of the Earth is exciting and gripping and as it progresses toward the finale harrowing. Pointless but cool info (for me at least) a lot of Torchwood and Doctor Who are filmed around where I live. Huzzah!

Citizen 14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Citizen 14

Oh man, I cannot wait! I'm super excited.
    Torchwood is a great and so is Captain Jack.
    I don't really care that he is "curious." lol.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @welshguy79 said:
    " I'm not sure how American viewers find Torchwood (or Doctor Who for that matter). Speaking personally. Torchwood the Children of Earth is its strongest series yet. Its very welsh in places (not sure how that translates to those across the pond) and one scene in particular in the first episode demonstrates this perfectly. Beyond that, the Children of the Earth is exciting and gripping and as it progresses toward the finale harrowing. Pointless but cool info (for me at least) a lot of Torchwood and Doctor Who are filmed around where I live. Huzzah! "
    Well I'm an American so I will pump this show on our site as much as I can.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gmanfromheck

Don't forget.  Turn on your television.  Don't miss it!

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15  Edited By Darkchild

I LOVED CHILDREN OF EARTH!!

Once i get around to watching it again to soak it all in ill be doing a review of it. Its an awesome season cant wait for more

welshguy79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By welshguy79
    @G-Man said:
    "@welshguy79 said:
    " I'm not sure how American viewers find Torchwood (or Doctor Who for that matter). Speaking personally. Torchwood the Children of Earth is its strongest series yet. Its very welsh in places (not sure how that translates to those across the pond) and one scene in particular in the first episode demonstrates this perfectly. Beyond that, the Children of the Earth is exciting and gripping and as it progresses toward the finale harrowing. Pointless but cool info (for me at least) a lot of Torchwood and Doctor Who are filmed around where I live. Huzzah! "
    Well I'm an American so I will pump this show on our site as much as I can. "

Its good to see a BBC wales export looked upon favourably. If you ever find yourself in Wales then you are entitled to a free meal in the form of Wales' most grand delicacy; rarebit. Its basically cheese on toast. That's how classy we welsh are
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @welshguy79 said:
    " @G-Man said:
    "@welshguy79 said:
    Well I'm an American so I will pump this show on our site as much as I can. "
    Its good to see a BBC wales export looked upon favourably. If you ever find yourself in Wales then you are entitled to a free meal in the form of Wales' most grand delicacy; rarebit. Its basically cheese on toast. That's how classy we welsh are "
    Sounds good.  Actually there's a small chance I might be venturing overseas next year.  We'll have to see how things work out.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I got busy and couldn't catch it, but I will buy the heck out of it next week

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Darkchild

I stioll cant believe how somethings turned out. So many WOW an WTF!! moments

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Methos

i've purposely avoided this thread until everyone had seen the entire show :D

M

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Darkchild
    @Methos said:
    " i've purposely avoided this thread until everyone had seen the entire show :D  M "
    Can we give it to Friday? Cause jesus the information is freaking killing me man

BTW pimpet says hi (Charm, Duchess whatever u know her by)
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Methos

yeah, i won't post anything until the weekend :D

M

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Darkchild
    Hangs head

Allllllright. Damn americans an their slow television.

(btw love you brits for streaming it online. Ive worked everyday this week so i would have missed the eps)
    Elixir95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Elixir95

Day 4, hard to write about huh?

Elixir95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Elixir95

I went to a signing with the three cast members almost three weeks ago in HMV in Cardiff, just after it had aired over here.  You could tell that there were people there who had just began watching this season and the viewers who had been there from the beginning, because the ones from the beginning would make much more fuss about Ianto (RIP).  I loved the Ianto t-shirts, best one "Ianto's not dead! (What else is retcon for?)"   But there were so many people.  We got there five hours before and by that time, the queue already extended four shops down the road.  We took in turns waiting, and by the time when we went in, we were only there for a few seconds, they signed, and we left.  There's a video of me and my friends, mainly dominated by me going nuts about meeting Eve Myles, and even a shot of my shoulder and her in the same picture!   I'm also going to a Gareth David-Lloyd signing in a week in Cardiff Borders, and that should be a lot quieter so maybe I will actually get a decent chance to say something (also, meant to say, to my disappointment, Eve Myles was heavily pregnant.  Oh well.)

Also, down the Bay, there is an actual entrance to the Hub, or rather, the tourist office that Ianto staffed, and the door has various clippings from Doctor Who and Torchwood on it.  It's cool.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Children Of Earth was good, but Series 2 shits all over it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.