Have You Read Surrogates? Watch The Movie Trailer

Posted by G-Man (33818 posts) - - Show Bio
I will admit that I have not read the comic.  It's great that it's now getting the attention it deserves.  I've heard some good things about it.  Check out the trailer below.  The story looks pretty interesting.  I also really dig Bruce Willis (but I'm not really digging that hair).  Top Shelf already has plans for releasing more books (including a prequel) in conjunction with the movie.  Ask your local comic shop or book store to order it.  You can also pre-order online at sites like amazon, etc.

Here's the synopsis from Publishers Weekly:
The year is 2054, and the Central Georgia Metropolis is held in a grip of fear by a series of crimes committed by the mysterious lightning-wielding techno-terrorist dubbed Steeplejack. His attacks stem from an agenda that seeks to disconnect humanity from its dependence on "surrogates," androids that the consumer can link with and allow to carry out the user's life, acting as a full-time stand-in. For investigating detective Harvey Greer, Steeplejack's anti-surrogate rampage unearths possible connections to a fanatical prophet. Years earlier, this prophet incited riots while preaching a gospel of returning society to a time when people actually lived their lives instead of merely experiencing them, a point of view that Greer is slowly coming to agree with. Basically a straight police procedural laced with science-fiction trappings, Venditti's script offers a convincing future in which mankind doesn't realize that the virtual reality of the surrogates is potentially worse than any narcotic. This quietly bleak scenario is capably illustrated by Weldele in a straightforward style reminiscent of film storyboards. As a change of pace from typical superheroic fare, this volume comes heartily recommended.

Check out the trailer.

What do you think?  Good or sci fi cheesiness?  It'll be out in the Fall.
Staff
#1 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome, this may be a bit bais since im a huge Bruce Wilis fan, I just hope it is released on a good weekend because I do not think that it can compete with a big name movie title.

#2 Posted by mv (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks good to me

#3 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

This is one of those books (like RED) that I've been waiting to see made into a movie (or done anything with). Totally not suprised that Bruce Willis is starring. But you're right, that hair is creepy.

#4 Posted by Psychotime (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice premise, but I'm not much into sci-fi.

#5 Posted by csimon (2110 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by toxzilla (25 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks awesome. I love Sci-Fi hell I even ponied up to see Push so I guess I can give Bruce more of my money.

#7 Posted by Decept-O (7276 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah...his surrogate's hair IS creepy.  Eww...still, I want to check this out as previously stated. 

#8 Posted by elessar (100 posts) - - Show Bio

nothing to get too excited with , though it still looks to be a nice film

#9 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

watched this preview yesterday before T-Salvation. Reminds me of that movie with Russel Crowe and Denzel Washington.

#10 Posted by TheSavageAssasin (2761 posts) - - Show Bio

looks tight and yah creepy hair

#11 Posted by Quality (1861 posts) - - Show Bio

It feels like IRobot.

#12 Posted by Knite Hawk (2 posts) - - Show Bio

This Looks Awesome!!!!!!!!!!
Reminds me of IRobot mixed with The Matrix.....

#13 Posted by SUNMAN (7235 posts) - - Show Bio

This will be good, Bruce Willus is in it with Ving Rhames

#14 Posted by Jake Malcom (3154 posts) - - Show Bio

I read the comic an loved it im hoping this does well

#15 Posted by Anderson: Agent of SMITH (234 posts) - - Show Bio

They were handing out bussiness-like cards at NYCC, and the women who handed them out were really creepy. I wasn't really interested in the movie, but after seeing the trailer, now I definitely want to see it.

#16 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I might read the graphic novel!

#17 Posted by danhimself (22532 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been seeing the trailer a lot lately so I decided to get the books and right now I'm really liking them

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.