Follow

Top Cow Productions

Publisher »

Top Cow Productions (a comic book publisher partnered with Image Comics) is best known for titles such as Cyberforce, The Darkness, and Witchblade.

Top Cow Pledges To Remain $2.99 In 2009!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    This is one of the reasons that I love Top Cow.  I understand that publishers will need to raise the cover price as other costs increase but four bucks for a comic seems a bit much.  Higher prices will prevent new users picking up new titles.  Then we'll be left with the same characters in multiple comics rather than seeing new and possible cooler characters. 

I'd like to say Thank You to Top Cow.  Here's some info from them on this news.
    “We looked around and saw cover prices creeping up and up all around us,” noticed Top Cow Publisher Filip Sablik. “It seems wrong to raise your prices on customers during these tough economic times. Once we knew we were going to hold the line on our prices, it made sense to call attention to it. Hopefully, it will encourage some fans to try our titles.”

And despite the price freeze, Top Cow will not compromise the quality of its regular-sized books to cut overhead costs.

“Our content pages will remain the same as it is now and in fact we're adding more and more added-value pages, including interviews, back-matter articles and preview art,” said Sablik. “We want to be the value and quality leader in the industry.”

The $2.99 price point does not apply to oversized books, exclusive variant covers and special editions.

Barney Stinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Barney Stinson

Awesome!

The Minuteman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By The Minuteman

So has the big guys confirmed they are going up? I don't really pay much attention to comic book finance. I do remember when Amazing Spider-Man was only $2.25, those were the days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Hmm, Might be a good time to get into "The Darkness"

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By John Valentine

If only Marvel and DC would do the same.......

Avatar image for spider_pantrelli
    Spider-Pantrelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Spider-Pantrelli

How much are the other's raising their prices to?!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gmanfromheck

Comics were $0.60 when I started buying in the 80s.  Comics will slowly be creeping up to $3.99 an issue.  Think about how many comics you buy right now or how many you'd like to buy.  An increase may be necessary but it still sucks.  It also makes you wonder how Top Cow can manage to keep their comic costs down.  They don't have the huge resources Marvel or DC have.

@TheDrifter: Darkness is really good as is Witchblade.  I recommend both.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

G-Man said:
    @TheDrifter: Darkness is really good as is Witchblade.  I recommend both."
    I'll check them out.

Thanks
    Kitty98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kitty98

Goes to drop some titles from Marvel

The Minuteman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The Minuteman
    G-Man said:
    " It also makes you wonder how Top Cow can manage to keep their comic costs down.  They don't have the huge resources Marvel or DC have."
    Cutting back on staff I would imagine for a start. Cheaper materials for their comics maybe. Or maybe the whole costs going up thing is just price fixing. Gas prices are down to prices they were at years ago, and in a lot of cases that is what drives up a lot of the cost of doing business, I was actually hoping for a little deflation. Bummer.

Anyway, I hope Marvel cuts back on their big crossovers. I'm not gonna pay for a million different titles that are $4.99 because they are tie-in issues.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gmanfromheck

Marvel did announce some titles that were getting cut.  It's unfortunate.  I'd rather they didn't put out a ton of X-titles or Avengers titles.  It takes away shelf space for the other characters.  It also may distract readers from picking up what could be a really good series.  Who is willing to gamble their hard earned cash on a comic that isn't as popular as the others?  Even comic shops will cut back on their orders.  This could cause the publishers to only put out what they think we'll like.  We won't get new or innovative characters and concepts out of fear of losing money.

And I'm all for less major crossovers.  More because I'd like the see the characters develop in their own right rather than see them forced to take a small part in some major storyline.

The Minuteman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The Minuteman

I like the crossovers as it makes the universe feel more interwoven, but I don't like them all to be "events"

Barney Stinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Barney Stinson

Crossovers can be cool.  It makes sense especially if the characters live in the same city.  Why shouldn't Spider-Man be seen swinging by the Baxter Building?  I just loathe when I'm forced to pick up a title I don't normally buy or when a story I'm not following is shoved in my face in one that I do buy.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Nighthunter
    John Valentine said:
    "

If only Marvel and DC would do the same.......

"
    Not all of the titles of Marvel are getting a price rise, as far as I know there ain't any book of DC whose price has been rised (atleast until february)

that is without counting one-shots of course
    Mel Caylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mel Caylo
    Baal Zak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Baal Zak

<3 Top Cow :D

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By pixelized

Danielle Baptiste!!!!!

Avatar image for the_morningstar
    The Morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The Morningstar

Ya it would be nice to see Marvel and DC lower their prices, $4-5 is way to much for a plan everyday comic book. I remember being able to go into the comic store with $10 and coming out with an arm full. I went in the other day bought five books cost me over $20. Some messed up crap.

Also can see the whole upside the big crossovers and events because you get the most out of all your titles, but I agree I really wish Marvel would cut back on their big events, it just seems to me that every big event cancels out the previous one. I can just see it now by the end of Dark Reign it will be mentioned that the Skrull Invasion was all some weird mutant manifested reality.

Waiting for Ironman to wake up in a bed and see Cap, Thor, and Wasp and be like. "I just had the most amazing dream.. and you where there and you and you."

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By King_Saturn  Online
    Hmmm... $ 2.99 huh ? Sh!t... I know places where I can do better than that...

lol
    grkpektis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By grkpektis

Dc has a great idea.  All the books that are $3.99 have a back up story with an extra 8 pages so you're getting more for your money.  That way great books that were canceled get to come back.  I checked solicitations for marvel in july and over 30 of their books are $3.99 with only 22 pages. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.