Follow

Tomar Re

Character » Tomar Re appears in 339 issues.

A Xudarian and former Green Lantern of Space Sector 2813. He is Hal Jordan's mentor in pre-Crisis continuity.

Green Lantern: Beginner's Guide to Tomar Re

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
    No Caption Provided

The GREEN LANTERN movie's pretty committed to depicting Hal Jordan’s rookie days in the Corps so they correspond to the comics' timeline. Sinestro’s still one of the good guys, sure, but a more impressive measure is Tomar Re breathing and walking and doing all the other delightful that come with being alive. See, the character’s actually been dead for 25 years, now, and that’s remarkable for a comics character. More often, the space between death and resurrection is quick six months. So who is this somewhat aquatic, somewhat avian alien and why's he so important to the mythos of the Green Lantern Corps?

Tomar Re hails from the planet Xudar and patrols Space Sector 2813. He’s a Lantern largely defined by his relationship to these other major Lanterns. He was a friend of Abin Sur’s and he was the first Lantern to welcome Jordan to the Corps and offer acceptance and support when other Lanterns may have treated him brusquely. He trained new recruits like Kilowog so often does and he was one of the Lanterns who investigated the corruption of power that got Sinestro expelled from the Corps. He's sort-of like the ultimate middle man in the GLs.

== TEASER ==

Let's take a couple steps back: Tomar Re's relationship with Jordan warrants some more discussion, as it looks like he’ll be serving as one of the Earthman’s mentors in the movie. While the hardcase Kilowog will bust Jordan into shape and the proud Sinestro will likely keep the hotshot humble, Tomar Re seems like he’ll playing good cop and offering Hal some kind perspective on the elegant intricacies of the power ring’s powers. In one of the trailers, we see him demonstrating its ability to create constructs by conjuring what looks like some kind of complex, fractal extrapolation of a Moebius strip. Notably, it’s his voice (provided by Geoffery Rush) that narrates the illustrative explanation of the Corps’ origins in the 3D trailer, suggesting he’ll be taking on some of the “chronicler” duties that Salaak holds in the comics.

No Caption Provided

To be frank, Tomar Re didn’t actually do that much that’s worth mentioning in the 25 odd years after his debut in GREEN LANTERN #6. Aside from helping expose Sinestro’s corruption, his most notable adventure involved him trying to prevent the destruction of Superman’s home planet, Krypton. Obviously, the mission was a failure, as Tomar Re was blinded by sun rays at a crucial moment and only regained his sight after the planet had completed vaporized.

His next most notable adventure didn’t happen until years later for the CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS. He perished during a battle with the third-string villain, Goldface, and bequeathed his power ring to John Stewart so he could serve as a Lantern at the same time as Jordan instead of the two Earthmen having to share one ring. Since then, Tomar Re sort-of showed up during the BLACKEST NIGHT storyline when a Black Lantern stole his body to torment current Green Lanterns with the visage of their old friend.

His undead presence there harped on how he’s become more notable for being dead - - for being an example of the risks of a GLs’ lifestyle - - than he has for anything he actually accomplished during his career.

Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Last_Guardian

Tomar Re is awesome...

hitechlolife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By hitechlolife

There's something about the CG Tomar that creeps me out. Maybe it's just the uncanny valley effect but I just hate looking at it.

Atari_Graphics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Atari_Graphics

I think he looks great in the movie. Very good interpretation from pages to screen in my opinion. 

Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Chane

I wonder if there will be any hints of Tomar Tu in the film.

Dfense75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dfense75

I find something about Tomar Re incredibly endearing. Geoffrey Rush's voice only adds to that. I am really looking forward to this film. More so for the supporting characters than anything. If this film was just Sinestro, Kilowog, and Tomar Re. I would still be first inline for the midnight show.

Blastov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Blastov
    @hitechlolife
    I hear ya. For some reason he looks like a deformed Hitler.
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Tomar Re is part of the reason why I still see success coming out of the upcoming movie. Always did enjoy his character myself!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NightFang3
    @Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
    Tomar Re is awesome...
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Gefforey Rush is awesome as Tomar Re!

Turisten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Turisten

This is stupid.. 

Tomar Re has 5 fingers in the comics, but 4 fingers in the movie.

Kilowog has 4 fingers in the comics, but 5 fingers in the movie.

Why do they make this change?!

mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mark5
    @Turisten said:
    This is stupid..   Tomar Re has 5 fingers in the comics, but 4 fingers in the movie.  Kilowog has 4 fingers in the comics, but 5 fingers in the movie.  Why do they make this change?!
    more importantly why do you care?
    TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By TypingKira
    @mark5 said:
    @Turisten said:
    This is stupid..   Tomar Re has 5 fingers in the comics, but 4 fingers in the movie.  Kilowog has 4 fingers in the comics, but 5 fingers in the movie.  Why do they make this change?!
    Details, man! It's the details! 
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kallarkz
    @TypingKira said:

@mark5 said:

@Turisten said:
    Details, man! It's the details! 
    Awesome looking effects....good story...I will not leave the movie upset because of a finger count. 
    =)
    Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

@Turisten said:

This is stupid.. Tomar Re has 5 fingers in the comics, but 4 fingers in the movie. Kilowog has 4 fingers in the comics, but 5 fingers in the movie. Why do they make this change?!

It seems stupid to worry about that.

The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By The Sadhu

Interesting read... just thought of him as the guy with the beck. Time to look up his profile now.
    ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By ninjadude853

Isn't this guy's kid in the corps?

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Mbecks14

Tomar Re is great! He's one of the coolest looking Green Lanterns. Goofy looking? Kinda but i still appreciate Tomar Re for his heart. His son Tomar Tu is in the corps now. they look pretty identical, which is probably why he's stayed dead. 

Will we see Ch'p in the movie??!

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Eyz

Ahh... :)
    Good ol' beakface!

GreenArrow789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GreenArrow789

That's cool I didn't know he gave up his ring to John Stewart. So does this mean that we will see Stewart in the upcoming GL movie?

Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By Maki_P

I admit Tomar's death took me by surprise (when I found out he was dead I mean). I didn't know and I couldn't tell; I actually believe this is the reason he's managed to stay dead; he was succeeded  by his son and no one noticed

fitchy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By fitchy101
    @GreenArrow789: I didn't know Stewart got his ring either, I've heard rumours that John Stewart will be in a bar fight, but whether he'll get any screen time as a lantern remains to be seen.
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Osiris1428
    Cavalry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Cavalry

I like Tomar Re, he's one of my favorite GL's all the same.

He seems to show up in the TV versions more.. animated universe etc. I like his design, it looks pretty cool.

I dislike his movie design though.. couldn't they have kept his beak more pointed? It looks so goofy and his skin should have been more smooth, he looks creepy..

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.