The Absurd UNIMAGINABLE Tournament!

• 59 results
Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Since we all had a solid barrel of fun with the Outrageous “Draw Comic Vine’s Staff” Championship and the HYBRID BASTARDS! Ultimate Challenge, I figured the time was right for the ABSURD UNIMAGINABLE TOURNAMENT!

This one ties into my next comic, UNIMAGINABLE, which is coming out from Arcana Studio next month (pre-order on Amazon and in PREVIEWS, code OCT100764!)  It’s a darkly-humorous fantasy I’ve been describing to people as being like an “evil Little Nemo” or what would happen if you put a wise-ass into a David Lynch or Tim Burton movie.The plot shakes down like this…

Appointed “Problem Solver” in a nightmarish city of monsters, the lost amnesiac Stump must pit street smarts against baffling dream logic to solve some outrageously bizarre "problems." But this smart ass may face a problem even she can't solve in the Unimaginable -- creatures too terrible for anyone to even imagine.

And it’s the nefarious Unimaginable which this contest is inspired by. I know very well that we’ve got some imaginative talents in the Comic Vine community, so I’m challenging you maniacs to do what lesser minds simply can’t and imagine what the Unimaginable could be. == TEASER ==

You'll have to do a lot of thinking to come up with a good entry - - just like Stump here!

THE TASK : Draw and describe a fanciful monster that could embody the Unimaginable. It’s got to tie into some story from your life where you faced your worst fear. So, for instance, if you’re deathly afraid of clowns and also happen to be deathly allergic to peanuts, you might draw an evil Mr. Peanut. Or something (don’t use that one, now.) Keep it concise (50 words or less) and keep it humorous. I don’t want to hear about any serious fears, like your fear of dying or commitment or whatever, unless it’s phrased in a funny way. Otherwise, I’ll be very upset.

THE PRIZES : Four runners-up will receive a pencil drawing of their monster by UNIMAGINABLE’s supremely-talented artist… the Kentucky Twister, Kurt Belcher! One grand prize winner will get a fully-rendered drawing of his or her creature - - that is, penciled by Kurt, inked by “Mean Machine” Levi Skeen and colored by the man who paints with all shades of the rainbow, Zack Turner. He or she will also receive a gift package that’s generously been offered by Arcana Studio that includes $100 worth of killer Arcana books.

THE RULES : This contest is only open to North American residents. Sorry international neighbors! Also, anything you submit comes under Comic Vine's ownership.

THE DEADLINE : You’re getting a week to pull this off. I think you maniacs can handle that. Especially since, thanks to Turkey-day, you'll have a long weekend to get as much creative juice flowing as cranberry juice. The due date's Monday the 29th at Midnight.

NOW, GET TO IT!!!

#1 Posted by matrix10st (34 posts) - - Show Bio

ok got it
#2 Posted by zombietag (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

do we submit to this comment section or what?

#3 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@zombietag said:
" do we submit to this comment section or what? "
That you do.
#4 Posted by MrMazz (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

its ok to be afraid of  mannequins i am to them old navy commercials are just creepy 

#5 Posted by sora_thekey (8161 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still on the fence on what my entry will be... 
I'm afraid of heights... roller coaters and the elevator in the building where I used to work (Yes it's just that elevator). 
but I'm trying to find an "Unimaginable" way to depict these fears. *Puts on his thinking cap* 

Great video Tom. I can't wait to read Unimaginable!

#6 Posted by Danial79 (2347 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are all these contests unavailable to us "internationals"? :(

#7 Edited by FoxxFireArt (3554 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh, Kurt Belcher is from Kentucky? I live in Northern Kentucky. I also don't like pro-wrestling or Nascar.

Best of luck with this series.

#8 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
" I'm still on the fence on what my entry will be... 
I'm afraid of heights... roller coaters and the elevator in the building where I used to work (Yes it's just that elevator). but I'm trying to find an "Unimaginable" way to depict these fears. *Puts on his thinking cap*  Great video Tom. I can't wait to read Unimaginable! "
Don't think. Just act!  (And pre-order!)
#9 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt said:
" Uh, Kurt Belcher is from Kentucky? I live in Northern Kentucky. I also don't like pro-wrestling or Nascar. Best of luck with this series. "
Sounds like you two need to tag team in the steel cage.  Dude, you need to enter with a story about the horrors of bad translations!
#10 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:
" Why are all these contests unavailable to us "internationals"? :( "
You know, if enough people have an issue with it, we might find a way to address this fo rthe contest...
#11 Posted by Danial79 (2347 posts) - - Show Bio

I know I'm ineligible, living in Australia and all, but I couldn't help but give this a go...

My biggest fear is being in the public eye; in the spotlight. I've always preferred staying behind the scenes, and keeping watch from the sidelines. I didn't even go to my own University graduation for god's sake! So, in saying this, here is my Unimaginable creation: 

#12 Posted by Danial79 (2347 posts) - - Show Bio

I was wanting to give him one of those old school journalists hats, but I couldn't think of how they looked :P

#13 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79:  
Dude, that is totally rad! So clever. 

Tell you what... this entry has moved me to do some thinking. I'm considering amending the rules to allow non-US participants. If you're cool with not receiving any physical prizes, then I'll open it up. Kurt and the crew will still draw your creature and you'll receive a high-res image file of the drawing in your e-mail inbox, but nothing physical will be mailed to you. Like I said, if you're cool with that, then unleash the fury,everybody!

#14 Posted by Danial79 (2347 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tom Pinchuk said:
" @Danial79:  
Dude, that is totally rad! So clever. 

Tell you what... this entry has moved me to do some thinking. I'm considering amending the rules to allow non-US participants. If you're cool with not receiving any physical prizes, then I'll open it up. Kurt and the crew will still draw your creature and you'll receive a high-res image file of the drawing in your e-mail inbox, but nothing physical will be mailed to you. Like I said, if you're cool with that, then unleash the fury,everybody!
"
That sounds like a good deal to me.  

Also, thank you :)
#15 Posted by sora_thekey (8161 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tom Pinchuk said:
" @FoxxFireArt said:
" Uh, Kurt Belcher is from Kentucky? I live in Northern Kentucky. I also don't like pro-wrestling or Nascar. Best of luck with this series. "
Sounds like you two need to tag team in the steel cage.  Dude, you need to enter with a story about the horrors of bad translations! "
YES!!! O_O 

@Tom Pinchuk said:
"Don't think. Just act!  (And pre-order!)"
Well I did just get paid...

@Danial79: Amazing! I love it man! Kudos!
#16 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

Blast, damn my Australian citizenship!

#17 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@Meteorite said:
" Blast, damn my Australian citizenship! "
Read above! You can still participate.
#18 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tom Pinchuk: I don't have a scanner... Can I send the picture in a letter and write the story here?
#19 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3554 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tom Pinchuk said:
" @FoxxFireArt said:
Sounds like you two need to tag team in the steel cage.  Dude, you need to enter with a story about the horrors of bad translations! "
I don't know much about pro-wrestling, but don't we need to have some kind of beef in order to do a cage match, such as fighting for the honor of some lovely lady? That's something I'd get in a cage for.

I guess I could tell some stories of some really bad translations that piss me off, but they irritate me to no end. The only horrible thing is that these bad translations are the only thing we will ever get in the U.S. Also, I don't think it's possible to describe that in under 50 words. 

I normally don't like to enter many Comic Vine contests. It's why I didn't seriously try to enter the drawing the staff one. They do enough for me by posting my articles on Anime Vice.
#20 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428 said:
" @Tom Pinchuk: I don't have a scanner... Can I send the picture in a letter and write the story here? "
You don't have to scan it. You can just take a picture of it.
#21 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

another tom pinchuk contest! IT'S ON COMICVINE!

#22 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79:
I love that!
#23 Posted by KurtBelcher (6 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79:
Whoa!  That's awesome!  That'd be a ton of fun to draw.  :)
#24 Posted by KurtBelcher (6 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Edited by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

Tom, you use really creepy music. 

Also, totally have this bitch on pre-order at the local comic shop already!

#26 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@jakob187 said:
" Tom, you use really creepy music.         

Also, totally have this bitch on pre-order at the local comic shop already! "
You can thank Lemon for the music! 

Rad that you've gotten ordered already. You should enter the contest and complete the circle! Talk about your fear that Viewtiful Joe will be cut from the MVC3 line-up at the last minute!
#27 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2241 posts) - - Show Bio

Really wish I had time for this, but I can't this contest.  Hopefully another time, another contest.
This sounded like a fun one.

#28 Edited by Secret Identity (223 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm from the British Empire (by that i mean England) would you mind me entering for my own (and hopefully your) amusement? You know, just for fun with no intention of winning prizes? 

#29 Posted by KurtBelcher (6 posts) - - Show Bio
@Secret Identity:
We've amended the rules some, so that international members can enter.  We can't send out any of the prizes by physical mail, but if we choose your creature to win a drawing, we WILL send you a digital version of that!   So enter away!  :D

KAB
#30 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

Dang don't really have any fears. At least none that come to mind. I mean I almost died in a car wreck where I flipped my car 7 times (while in my Batman suit -it was Halloween) and I wasn't even afraid ha ha. Sooo this would be tough for me if it's like a personal fear. 

I'll try to come up with something if I can.
#31 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain said:
" Dang don't really have any fears. At least none that come to mind. I mean I almost died in a car wreck where I flipped my car 7 times (while in my Batman suit -it was Halloween) and I wasn't even afraid ha ha. Sooo this would be tough for me if it's like a personal fear.  I'll try to come up with something if I can. "
Dude,  that's seriously scary stuff! Run with that!
#32 Edited by Biondello (53 posts) - - Show Bio

I live by the beach and go swimming every summer. One year I saw Jaws and learned there we dogfish swimming in the water. Needless to say, I stopped going in the water. Combined with the nuclear plant down the coast, you never know what scary radioactive sharks are in the water.    

The picture was cropped some you can see the full one on my DA account,   http://biondello.deviantart.com/#/d33jn6n   
#33 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@Biondello said:
" I live by the beach and go swimming every summer. One year I saw Jaws and learned there we dogfish swimming in the water. Needless to say, I stopped going in the water. Combined with the nuclear plant down the coast, you never know what scary radioactive sharks are in the water.    

The picture was cropped some you can see the full one on my DA account,   http://biondello.deviantart.com/#/d33jn6n   
"
This entry's positively five kinds of rad! Great work! And in color!
#34 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio
@Biondello:
That rules!
#35 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

My fear has always been death. Not in general, but a very specific death. Since Ive seen what a lion can do, Ive always been afraid to dgo the way Mufasa did. Imagine youre walking along a cliff, all of a sudden you trip, youre hanging now. That just calls the attention of lions. I would be pushed off, trampled, and my kingdom would be left to that evil lion. 

#36 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

i had fun, even though my artistic skills are well below that of a second grader. lol.

#37 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@carnivalofsins00 said:
"  My fear has always been death. Not in general, but a very specific death. Since Ive seen what a lion can do, Ive always been afraid to dgo the way Mufasa did. Imagine youre walking along a cliff, all of a sudden you trip, youre hanging now. That just calls the attention of lions. I would be pushed off, trampled, and my kingdom would be left to that evil lion. 

"
Now THAT's what I'm talking about!
#38 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

im preordering the book. im putting off Ex Machina for you Tom! lol. I was actually really interested in this from the very beginning of the video when you first posted it. question though, when is it released? if it December 28 like it says on Amazon? Cause if it is, then itll come out on my birthday, and itll be a nice little present to myself.

#39 Posted by Danial79 (2347 posts) - - Show Bio
@carnivalofsins00 said:
"  My fear has always been death. Not in general, but a very specific death. Since Ive seen what a lion can do, Ive always been afraid to dgo the way Mufasa did. Imagine youre walking along a cliff, all of a sudden you trip, youre hanging now. That just calls the attention of lions. I would be pushed off, trampled, and my kingdom would be left to that evil lion. 

"
Wouldn't drawing that be a breach of copyright? :P
#40 Posted by sora_thekey (8161 posts) - - Show Bio

Great entries so far! 
I'll post mine later today... I'm finishing up right now!

#41 Posted by crimsonfox69 (66 posts) - - Show Bio

Ash I do really want to participate but I'm from Mexico City f++k ...

#42 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@crimsonfox69 said:
" Ash I do really want to participate but I'm from Mexico City f++k ... "
You can still participate! You won't get a physical copy mailed to you, but Kurt will still draw your monster and we'll e-mail a high res file!
#43 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@carnivalofsins00 said:
" im preordering the book. im putting off Ex Machina for you Tom! lol.     
Oh my. I appreciate it! I can guarantee you that we did our best to give you as much bang for your buck as we could. 
 I was actually really interested in this from the very beginning of the video when you first posted it. question though, when is it released? if it December 28 like it says on Amazon? Cause if it is, then itll come out on my birthday, and itll be a nice little present to myself. "  
That's great! Yeah, the 28th is the street date, although I can't guarantee how long shipping's going to take. Keep your fingers crossed!
#44 Posted by ClawFist (319 posts) - - Show Bio

Man I wanted to enter this contest so bad I just made a profile for this site. Okay so here's my Entry. This is or was my worst fear I think of all time. When I was a kid, I kinda used to be afraid of the dark, now I know what your thinking, a majority of children are afraid of the dark, but it wasn't really the dark I was afraid of. I used to look around so much in the dark I used to see figures, shadowy figures with no eyes, but somehow I felt like they were staring at me, some of them just smiling all friendly like. They weren't mere shadows, I could see subtle details on their bodies that told me they wore clothing, they had facial features such as mouths and chins, but no eyes, like their eyes were floating somewhere in shadows around I could feel them staring. It scared the jeebus out a me, so much so I found myself losing a lot of sleep just in fear they might one day do something, of course as I got older I realized I was being paranoid. Look too hard in the dark and your bound to see something that isn't really there or isn't real, least... I hope not. When I drew this, it kinda spooked me out, but without further adieu... my entry

#45 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@ClawFist said:  
That is some spine-tingling spookiness,my friend. So glad this tournament motivated you to start an account, here.
#46 Posted by dbz1995 (10 posts) - - Show Bio
@ClawFist said:
" Man I wanted to enter this contest so bad I just made a profile for this site. Okay so here's my Entry. This is or was my worst fear I think of all time. When I was a kid, I kinda used to be afraid of the dark, now I know what your thinking, a majority of children are afraid of the dark, but it wasn't really the dark I was afraid of. I used to look around so much in the dark I used to see figures, shadowy figures with no eyes, but somehow I felt like they were staring at me, some of them just smiling all friendly like. They weren't mere shadows, I could see subtle details on their bodies that told me they wore clothing, they had facial features such as mouths and chins, but no eyes, like their eyes were floating somewhere in shadows around I could feel them staring. It scared the jeebus out a me, so much so I found myself losing a lot of sleep just in fear they might one day do something, of course as I got older I realized I was being paranoid. Look too hard in the dark and your bound to see something that isn't really there or isn't real, least... I hope not. When I drew this, it kinda spooked me out, but without further adieu... my entry
"
I would love to see what Kurt could do with this picture-it's so expertly drawn already that seeing Kurt take a different spin on it would be very, very interesting.
 I'll give you my post tomorrow hopefully-I don't have the time today.
#47 Posted by ClawFist (319 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tom Pinchuk:  Thanks Tom, I'm glad I finally made an account, I didn't know how much I can do with a free account. Its pretty awesome, and I'm glad I was able to translate the spooky feeling I was going for when I drew this picture and happy to be able to participate 

@dbz1995:
 Thank you, I take that as a compliment especially since I kind of rushed the picture cause if I didn't do now I knew I probably wasn't going to do it lol. I agree 100% though, I'd love to see what Kurt could do with my picture, I've always wanted to see what a real expert could do with my art or my ideas. Some things I just don't yet have the skill to draw the way I see them in my head such as backgrounds or vehicles. Thanks again for the compliment, I appreciate it and its motivating. 
#48 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
" Great entries so far! I'll post mine later today... I'm finishing up right now! "
Is this going to be another case of big talk from Sora? Ha ha ha...
#49 Posted by sora_thekey (8161 posts) - - Show Bio
@crimsonfox69: Entrale! Almenos hay mas participantes... you estoy en Mexico tembien y de todas maneras le voy a entrar! The more the merrier! 
@Tom Pinchuk said:
" @sora_thekey said:
" Great entries so far! I'll post mine later today... I'm finishing up right now! "
Is this going to be another case of big talk from Sora? Ha ha ha... "
Ow! That hurt! 
I thought I was going to finish it yesterday but I'm not! Yet! I will enter!
#50 Edited by birdspawn (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's my entry and it's about my worst fear, interviews. I hate them but for the past few months in San Francisco I have been desperate to get them. This is my rendering of a monster who embodies that overwhelming feeling of stage fright when you need to be your most confident as well as the fear of inevitable rejection. This creature literally has "NO" written across its' eyeless face.   

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.