Review: Titans #27

Posted by Zack Freeman (314 posts) - - Show Bio
Just as these "titans" round out their rescue of innocent children from Elijah's nefarious clutches, Roy Harper starts experiencing a resurgence in his addictive symptoms that could jeopardize everything he's won. 

The Good

Wallace has a real sense of cadence and character. Harper's inner monologue reads like a confessional transcript because the beats of his relapse/withdrawal feel real without ever getting heavy-handed. I really enjoyed the moral complexity presented here - - not only in his "professional life" but also in his on/off, self-destructive relationship with Cheshire. Actually, I'm always a fan of Suicide Squad style comics and this is a great title to complement the likes of Secret Six and even Thunderbolts.

The Bad

This is another comic that's suffered from not having an inker. I do like texture that remains from the pencils' graphite but... the figures could definitely have benefited from more defined line work. Every panel I looked at, I couldn't help shaking the feeling that something important was missing.

The Verdict - 3.5/5

I haven't been paying that close attention, so I didn't realize that this was a separate book from Teen Titans until I looked up the cover for this issue. Now, with a comparison apparent, I'll say I prefer this out of the two. The concept of "villains for hire" with ex-Titans and Titans associates having to work with their old foes captures my imagination a bit more than just another team of young heroes.
#1 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2230 posts) - - Show Bio

This iteration of Titans struggled like a fish out of water for the first few issues, but this one was definitely the best one yet by far. Writing was a hell of a lot better but yeah, this comic could physically look a lot better.

#2 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

So..Roy's finally kickin' ass again?

#3 Posted by DropSolo (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, the last thing I saw was Roy doing some decidedly un-hero like stuff in the Fall of Arsenal. Did I miss something?

#4 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
I hate the whole druggy angle, but the rest of Roy's journey has been interesting.
#5 Posted by DropSolo (43 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: Always liked the addiction aspect to his character. It differentiated him from the other sidekicks. What I didn't like was killing Lian. I liked him taking the Red Arrow mantle and stepping up into his own like Dick and Wally did.
#6 Posted by hunterzolomin (32 posts) - - Show Bio

favorite part of the issue was 3 panels closeup of roys face   thats shows his disgust of using the children to create drugs to a look of curiosity of what the drug tasted like. at first i felt it was cheap but the more i thought of it, its moments like these that make roy haper one of the more interesting characters in the dc universe.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.