gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

The Tiny Titans are back. I could stop right there. That's reason enough to buy this comic.

TINY TITANS is a series that had an incredible fifty issue run. That's a rare things these days. Too many of today's comics are a little on the dark and dreary side. TINY TITANS shows us the lighter things. We see that comics can actually be fun. Art Baltazar and Franco know how to make things fun.

A common misconception with all-ages books is they are only for kids. This series takes the characters we know and love, often in a more familiar form, despite the art style, than we're seeing in the New 52. It may have been a couple years since the last issue of TINY TITANS, but with SUPERMAN FAMILY ADVENTURES and the general vibe of this series, it's easy to jump back into the groove of what we had before.

It's a joy to see Baltazar's art. It's not just more of the same as some characters have new costumes and we get to see cameos from some adult characters you wouldn't expect to see.

The best thing is the existence of a comic that can be read by anyone in your family. We need more books that younger readers can read to become familiar with these characters but also written with subtle humor that older readers can enjoy as well.

(Note: My daughter read this and said, "I really liked it. It was good.")

The Bad

Perhaps my anticipation and expectations were a tad too high. The humor was present but a couple times it didn't quite hit the usual marks. The longer running story throughout the issue is both good and bad. It's nice to have an expanded story but that could have resulted in trying to stretch out some of the humor.

The Verdict

Everyone needs to get this book. This needs to be an ongoing series. Everyone needs more TINY TITANS in their lives. We need some comics that are on the lighter side and also pure fun. Art Baltazar and Franco have a knack for making comics that kids can read with jokes that older readers can appreciate as well. Do yourself a favor, read this comic and share it with a younger reader in your life. Or better yet, buy two, one for yourself and one to give away. This is a comic that can easily brighten the dark shelves at comic shops.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I'm not saying it isn't a good thing to have comics like this (to be honest it looks really good and I might pick it up) but on this site it seems like anytime you find a "fun" comic you give it a much higher score.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I don't get you. You're saying fun comics shouldn't rate a good score? Only dark and dreary ones? I have reviewed past issues and I did write out up above why it's a four.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Definitely going to grab a digital copy!

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
    brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm not saying it isn't a good thing to have comics like this (to be honest it looks really good and I might pick it up) but on this site it seems like anytime you find a "fun" comic you give it a much higher score.

What on earth are you talking about? EVERYTHING on this site gets a high score. If anything, this getting 4 stars is less than expected.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: That's not what I said, and why are you suddenly so defensive? quite frankly I feel like your being a bit disrespectful which makes it harder to communicate.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck

@brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie: @captainmarvel4ever: What you guys don't realize, and this is clearly not the place to discuss it, there are a ton of comics that come out each week. We only review a very very small number in comparison. If I only review six or so comics, should I seek out and fill one of those slots with a really bad comic in order to give you guys a rating with a low score? Look at the comics we review. Read the comic for yourselves. Look at reviews on other sites and you'll find they're pretty comparable. And you guys can write your own reviews as well if you don't agree. And this isn't suddenly defensive when we've talked about this so so many times on the podcast and in other reviews. We also do, on occasion, give 3s and 2s.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Mr. Guerrero you can't expect me to listen to all your podcast or read all of your reviews, you need to give proper context to the conversation. I also do compare reviews, and I know you often give 2s and even the occasional 1 (when you first started reviews on this site you gave 1s out a lot) I'm just saying it seems like that is your site's weakest aspect (and that's also not me saying they're by any means bad). You should still be proud because everything else on this site is really really good.

I also still believe you got a little overly defensive. I never said anything to disrespect you, or the creators of the comic, and I feel like you really came at me hard, and with a slight lack of respect. If you really "don't get me" you should find a nicer and more coherent way of communicating that, and try harder to understand my perspective, and help me understand yours.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: You're saying I had fun reading a comic and you're surprised that equals a higher score. You're questioning my review. There's nothing more to it. Like I said, read the comic. And when you do, please write a review. I really wish more people wrote their own reviews as well instead of complaining about ours. Everyone has their own opinions so I don't see the need to question a person's.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: A comparatively small number of comics may be reviewed on this site, but it doesn't change that you're, for the most part, consistently reviewing the same comics and giving them 4 or 5 stars every time. And as for your claim that other sites have similar opinions in their reviews - I don't even know where to start. You couldn't be more wrong.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: That's not what I meant. I was addressing that it seems like anytime a comic is fun or light hearted you guys seem to give it a higher score and want to know why that is. I'm not questioning your review or insult you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Look man, I think the reviews on this site are pretty much garbage, if we're being honest, but you're not making any sense. 1) No, they really do not give higher scores to comics that are "fun," whatever that means to you, and 2) there's something called "opinions." It's something other people have that may be different than yours.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I'm so glad Tiny Titans is back! :D

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 owie  Moderator

Aw Yeah! While I agree that this issue didn't hit quite the high notes it has in the past, it was great to see it back. There is a real dearth of all-ages comics out there. As a dad who likes to read comics with his kids, there are not a lot of options; a few years ago we had Tiny Titans, the Marvel Adventure line, Batman Brave and the Bold. Now there's almost nothing in the superhero line besides Teen Titans Go, which is OK, and Lil Gotham, which isn't all that great from my own point of view, although there are still things like Scooby Doo and now Adventure Time.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.