The New Tintin Movie & the Importance of European Comics

• 101 results
Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

For all the discussion there’s been about how 2011 is just packed to the gills with comics-based movies, fans and pundits alike have usually neglected to include a few additional titles in the pile because they’re based on foreign comics. While both DYLAN DOG and PRIEST (based on a Korean manhwa and an Italian comic respectively) haven’t faired too well in their releases, I’m not expecting the same fate to befall a certain Belgian comics-based project that’ll be coming out right around Christmas time.

What gives me this confidence? Well, it’s put together by two A-list directors who’ve won multiple Oscars and made a few movies already that’ve earned enough money to fund small countries.

Tintin and Snowy are so casual, even on the edge of the world.

To cease being coy, I’m talking about Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson enormous, computer animated, motion capture-enabled, 3D-presented version of THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN. It isn’t even the only Belgian comic getting such treatment, either. THE SMURFS movie is due later in the summer.

== TEASER ==
Are they walking on water?!

The latest news about the assured-blockbuster pertains to a new stage of marketing. Two official posters have been released (via Joblo,) the SECRET OF THE UNICORN sub-title has been dropped and, most spectacularly, a crisp teaser trailer has finally hit the web (see that below.) If this all happened for another comics-based movie - - say GREEN LANTERN - - we would’ve just reported the news quickly. However, we’re a little hesitant because we’re not sure how many TINTIN fans there are in the Comic Vine community. It’s bit of an odd situation. In terms of international popularity, Tintin's of the same order as Superman or Spider-Man. His adventures have been translated into more than 80 languages, meaning that the reported 350 million copies sold represent sales from literally every corner of the world. Why, when I was growing up in Asia, I distinctly remember TINTIN volumes being present on the shelves of every respectable book store. Yet, for all the international success, the comic hasn’t seemed to penetrate the American market and popular conscious as thoroughly as you'd expect.

Hold that thought in your head while you watch this highly-charming teaser...

The Value of Euro Comics

We may or may not putting some more material about the intrepid cub reporter and his little dog, Snowy, as the months and week bring us closer to the movie’s release. It’ll really depend on how much interest we see from you maniacs. If it isn't there already, I’d like to use this opportunity to strongly encourage you all to reach out of the familiarity of American comics and try a taste of the European variety. Manga’s more-or-less become the standard “alternate option” for those tired with stateside material, but I’d say that Euro comics offer just as much of an “outside looking in” experience at the other end of the artistic pendulum. If manga’s at one polar extreme with its digest format size, B&W printing and decompressed storytelling, then Euro comics are at an opposite pole with their treasury sized formatting, lushly painted colors and fast, often frenzied, pacing.

Don't be afraid. Dredd's like your regular superhero... just meaner.

Judge Dredd is the de facto #1 character in the UK. The Stallone movie took a lot of liberties with the source material and is thus not that representative of the experience you get reading the real deal 2000 A.D. books (though, wouldn’t you know it, a new JUDGE DREDD movie’s in production right now that’ll be hewn closer to the comics.) I got turned on to 2000 A.D. when I was getting serious about the nuts and bolts of writing for comics after I noticed that many of my favorite writers (Alan Moore, Garth Ennis, Grant Morrison, and so) had all cut their teeth in the mag. I see it as a boot camp for creators because it forces them to tell stories in increments of eight pages or less. Even if you don’t any ambitions of working behind the cover, you’ll find this magazine to be a remedy for every time you’ve been frustrated by “decompression” and padding in American comics.

No movie could handle this saga.

If you want material that’s a little more “out there” and adult, I recommend turning your attention across the English channel and giving France’s Humanoids publishing a shot. If HEAVY METAL’s magazine house ads are too raunchy for you, Humanoids proper books like METABARONS, SON OF THE GUN and THE WHITE LAMA find a tasteful middle ground for the curious and the adventurous. While there actually was a HEAVY METAL animated movie, the film that most faithfully captures this aesthetic is THE FIFTH ELEMENT, so there's a handy, mainstream reference points for you all.

Anyway, I do hope that many of you will take any interest this new TINTIN movie may have raised from you and run with it to discover this wealth of material you may have overlooked. How often do you hear fans complain about wanting variety when there’s actually a whole industry of diverse and daring content waiting for them outside of the old comfort zone.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here & here. Follow him on Twitter: @tompinchuk

#1 Edited by EdwardWindsor (14427 posts) - - Show Bio

Tintin  looks very much like the source material should be intresting. However iam more intrested in seeing a proper Judge Dredd movie. Stallones version is sickening.

#2 Posted by radar5 (53 posts) - - Show Bio

never heard of it, but look forward to checking it out

#3 Posted by Icon (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Tintin. Can't wait for the movie. :]

#4 Posted by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio

Ten thousand thundering typhoons!!!!

I hope the Judge Dread film turns out well.  This is exciting! ^_^

#5 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

AH! My favorite comic book character! I can't wait for this movie!!!

#6 Posted by A Boy Named Art (32 posts) - - Show Bio

There's no denying the pedigree behind Tintin, but I watched that trailer a couple of times, and as somebody who didn't read the original work, I have to say, it just didn't grab me. Looked like The Polar Express with explosions.

#7 Posted by TDK_1997 (14680 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait for the movie

#8 Posted by evilhomer (41 posts) - - Show Bio

I read quite a bit of tintin growing up, however, in terms of the move the names Spielberg and Peter Jackson should be more than enough for it to gain the American audiences attention.

#9 Posted by kingofpeanuts (11 posts) - - Show Bio

O God nooo! I grew up on Tintin, having the books my father gave me, and never want to see this movie.

#10 Posted by Wattup (648 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked when Tintin punched that dude.

#11 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

In France, the complete Tintin and Asterix are basicaly in every home.

And nice of you to talk about Les Humanoïdes Associés. Great and mature comics. It so happens that my own cousin is the N°2 guy to this small publishing company . ^^

#12 Posted by Green Flash (155 posts) - - Show Bio

I went to French Immersion growing up and Tintin was always the hot commodity during silent reading.  Awesome stories, this should be good.

#13 Posted by fesak (7045 posts) - - Show Bio
@DarthShap said:

In France, the complete Tintin and Asterix are basicaly in every home.

Not just in france, they're pretty much mandatory in all of europe.
Moderator Online
#14 Posted by BKole (499 posts) - - Show Bio

Heh. Living in England means I not only have a wealth of English comics, both indie and from larger publishers literally dripping at my Fingertips, it means I can toss myself across the ocean or send a friend and they came come back with some fantastic gems of comics. Euro comics tend to vere towards the more mature end of the spectrum - There's a lot of boobs in Heavy Metal. This is not a problem, but in addition to this mature element comes mature and clever story telling that doesn't always involve people in tights smacking each other in the mush. More often than not it's a powerful juxtaposition of whats happening now and where that could lead us in the future. It's fortune telling stories that're sometimes worryingly more accurate than they should be in their dystopian content.

In other words, liquid brilliance jammed into your brain through your eye holes.
#15 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

I may be stupid but... Who is Tittin, I need to do some research!
#16 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

Heavy Metal comics magazine was my first intro to a number of European comic properties and artists alike.  Mobius being one at the forefront.  Not certain how much an impact any European properties will have here in the USA however, but I know there are a few. 

Regarding TinTin.  I will say this again.  I have nothing against this character but I am having a hard time thinking it will do well.  I could be proven wrong.  Not everything Spielberg touches has turned to box office gold. 

#17 Posted by weaponmaster (1412 posts) - - Show Bio

Tin Tin? Tin Tin?

Why do they keep rehashing these dated titles. This is lame with a capital lame. What's next? a Lassie movie?

The people who are making the decisions of what gets made need to be flogged and then promptly  ostracized.

#18 Posted by Moonleming (39 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny Valley meets Cartoon characters it reminds me of this...
 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/04/untooned-cartoon-characte_n_410448.html

#19 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

LOVE TINTIN

#20 Posted by MannyMAR (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude, all they needed in that trailer was the theme song from the HBO cartoon series for it to be perfect. I'm not going to lie my inner fanboy is screaming, "Please don't suck!"

#21 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

As someone who is not Belgian I couldn't care less about Tintin. I am old enough that I remember the brief cartoon adaptation, but it never really seemed exciting.

Sorry to sound closed-minded, but euro-comics have less than no appeal to me. Tintin, 200AD, Judge Dredd, Tank Girl, Revolver, Aserix, none of them are appealing to me in any way. As to not sound entirely America-centric, I admit there are some manga I enjoy, but I haven't found any appealing euro-comics. Not even the Smurfs.
#22 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude, I haven't watch The Adventures of Tintin in so long! I didn't realize they were making a movie of it. Depending on how it looks, I might go see it.

#23 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio
@BKole said:
Heh. Living in England means I not only have a wealth of English comics, both indie and from larger publishers literally dripping at my Fingertips, it means I can toss myself across the ocean or send a friend and they came come back with some fantastic gems of comics. Euro comics tend to vere towards the more mature end of the spectrum - There's a lot of boobs in Heavy Metal. This is not a problem, but in addition to this mature element comes mature and clever story telling that doesn't always involve people in tights smacking each other in the mush. More often than not it's a powerful juxtaposition of whats happening now and where that could lead us in the future. It's fortune telling stories that're sometimes worryingly more accurate than they should be in their dystopian content.

In other words, liquid brilliance jammed into your brain through your eye holes.
I've always been more partial to european storytelling, all of my favorite writers of all time are Europeans. Maybe it's because I grew up in Germany for the early years of my life. I loved the Tintin 'toon that used to come on and I grew up with the character in Germany. This trailer looks cool. 
#24 Posted by Jacquenette_Harper (86 posts) - - Show Bio

I am very excited to see the Adventures of Tintin in a movie!

#25 Edited by Ruudi9 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

If you find regular Tintin a little staid and boring, try searching for 'Teesside Tintin' - basically someone doing alternative voice overs on the cartoon series.  I'll warn you now, there's profanity in the extreme but if you want to know what a Tintin from North East England would be like, it's very funny.
"Oh, a brick! How original..."

EDIT: Found one about the movie... again - beware, NSFW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDA7Qm8HBhQ
#26 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Dredd looks absolutely great from what I've been hearing. I'll definitely see it.  

#27 Edited by Donovan Montgomery (5429 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes!  Lose the 3D and try live actio......nevermind, but I hope the 3D don't mess with my tv when I buy the movie next year.

#28 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4700 posts) - - Show Bio

Judge Dredd was my Batman growing up. Stallone didn't do him any justice at all.

#29 Posted by xkoenig (393 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the look of Tintin! I just hope they don't have the usual Zemeckis 'dead eyes' again. Polar Express... shudder...

#30 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm In! 

Was a fan of the cartoon when i was a kid, never read the comics, but i think i will give all these a try. Getting sick of the big two lately and not that into anime.
#31 Posted by Trodorne (2584 posts) - - Show Bio

YAY TINTIN. i used to watch the show with Babar. and the comics were just as good too.

#32 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

how long has this movie been in the works? it seems like atleast 7 years

#33 Posted by cameron14 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVE TINTIN!!!!!!! It's going to be amazing!

#34 Posted by iloverobots (455 posts) - - Show Bio

Grew up reading them books in french, gonna be weird to see this in english. 

#35 Posted by Luzhell (31 posts) - - Show Bio

Living in Costa Rica I never had the chance to read the Tin Tin books, but I did have the cartoon. Find it a bit too bland for my taste (already violent at young age), so I'm not terrible excited about this movie. But probably watch it anyway.

The new Judge Dredd movie, on the other side, got me so excited that I'm not only waiting for it to reach the screens, but for Amazon to make preoders available

#36 Posted by zombietag (1493 posts) - - Show Bio

i totally have a wire haired fox terrier like that! except hes not all white... hes got brown and black spots.

#37 Posted by Psychotime (623 posts) - - Show Bio

It's funny how the Japanese stuff pretty much exploded into a niche of it's own, for better and for worse. And yet European comics are still more niche than the Japanese stuff was back in the late 80's.

#38 Posted by Psychotime (623 posts) - - Show Bio
@weaponmaster said:

Tin Tin? Tin Tin?

Why do they keep rehashing these dated titles. This is lame with a capital lame. What's next? a Lassie movie?

The people who are making the decisions of what gets made need to be flogged and then promptly  ostracized.

Oh no! Someone's bringing new life into a classic comic that's existed longer than I've been alive! I gotta be hip and shun it! That's what cool people do, right?

Pfft. Timeless classics, who needs them?
#39 Edited by weaponmaster (1412 posts) - - Show Bio
@Psychotime said:

@weaponmaster said:

Tin Tin? Tin Tin?

Oh no! Someone's bringing new life into a classic comic that's existed longer than I've been alive! I gotta be hip and shun it! That's what cool people do, right?Pfft. Timeless classics, who needs them?

That's the problem It has existed for longer than many people have been alive. Also it is lame. Hip? Are you stuck in the 60's or something? Who uses the word hip anymore? I shun it because it is corny and the dogs name is utterly ridiculous. Tin tin. Horrendous. It was Lousy decades ago and it is lousy now. If you like your old timer comics so much then re-read them, then take your geritol and eat your steamed prunes, but don't force us to suffer through having to watch or read regurgitated, dated, drivel.
#40 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved Tintin a few years ago! I'll probably see this.

Also, what does everyone think of Asterix and Obelix?

#41 Posted by Michiel76 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

It's sad to see how many euro comics have not made it in the USA. But thats not entirely the americans fault since a lot are in italian, french or even dutch, for some reason a lot doesn't get translated so on this i can't blame americans for not giving them a try.
Also the euro comics that are in english are imo not the best euro comics out there.
I've commented in the forums on comicvine on this topic but apparently that thread is dead and nowhere to be found anymore.

@Fantasgasmic said:

Sorry to sound closed-minded, but euro-comics have less than no appeal to me. Tintin, 200AD, Judge Dredd, Tank Girl, Revolver, Aserix
Don't be sorry you are just a perfect example of americans that have no clue whats out there and sadly when americans talk about eurocomics they mention TinTin and the Smurfs, which are basically kids books imo. (sure they are very popular in the world but still by far not the best on offer)
I'm european and on your list non of these comics appeal to me except Asterix but thats because i grew up with that comic.

But if you really want some good euro comics try and find these:
STORM or TRIGIË (author Don Lawrence, both are older comics but still classics esp. STORM)
MURENA great story about ancient rome (should appeal to Spartacus fans, only less fighting)
The Mercenary great scifi epic and great art.

I feel euro comics have other storylines on offer than american comics and are a nice retreat from fight the badguy that got out of prison and threathens the world yet again this month storyline.
Like the walking dead which offers something different and maybe it's for this that it is so popular, same with euro comics they concentrate more on story and less on fighting.

If you are in for some smart storytelling that doesn't necessarily involves a lot of fighting and you are not offended by some nakedness from time to time, you should really check some euro comics.

(Btw there is a way to read some of these comics even though they have not been officially translated into english, there is a group of fans who translate euro comics themselves. So if you are interested and don't mind reading your comics on a pc try them.
anyone pm me if you need some help getting them.)
#42 Posted by leokearon (1788 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a shame that Disney are going to stop European (and otner countries) from creating original marvel material
#43 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

As much and many US comics I have, and I have tons (all Deadpool comics since his appearance, most Batman/Green Arrow/Green Lantern/Wonder Woman post-Crisis, loads of Titans, Outsiders, Brave & the Bold, etc..etc..), I have just as much if not a lot more "Francobelgium" comics.
All of Lucky Luke, the Smurfs (les Schtroumpfs!), Asterix, Spirou, etc...
And even more of those that won't ever get translated in other languages like La Quête de l'oiseau du temps by Loisel, Spoon & White, Polstar by Leturgie, etc..

@Michiel76
said:

It's sad to see how many euro comics have not made it in the USA. But thats not entirely the americans fault since a lot are in italian, french or even dutch, for some reason a lot doesn't get translated so on this i can't blame americans for not giving them a try.
Also the euro comics that are in english are imo not the best euro comics out there.
I've commented in the forums on comicvine on this topic but apparently that thread is dead and nowhere to be found anymore.

@Fantasgasmic said:

Sorry to sound closed-minded, but euro-comics have less than no appeal to me. Tintin, 200AD, Judge Dredd, Tank Girl, Revolver, Aserix
Don't be sorry you are just a perfect example of americans that have no clue whats out there and sadly when americans talk about eurocomics they mention TinTin and the Smurfs, which are basically kids books imo. (sure they are very popular in the world but still by far not the best on offer)I'm european and on your list non of these comics appeal to me except Asterix but thats because i grew up with that comic.But if you really want some good euro comics try and find these:STORM or TRIGIË (author Don Lawrence, both are older comics but still classics esp. STORM)MURENA great story about ancient rome (should appeal to Spartacus fans, only less fighting)The Mercenary great scifi epic and great art.I feel euro comics have other storylines on offer than american comics and are a nice retreat from fight the badguy that got out of prison and threathens the world yet again this month storyline.Like the walking dead which offers something different and maybe it's for this that it is so popular, same with euro comics they concentrate more on story and less on fighting.If you are in for some smart storytelling that doesn't necessarily involves a lot of fighting and you are not offended by some nakedness from time to time, you should really check some euro comics.(Btw there is a way to read some of these comics even though they have not been officially translated into english, there is a group of fans who translate euro comics themselves. So if you are interested and don't mind reading your comics on a pc try them.anyone pm me if you need some help getting them.)
Well said sir!
#44 Posted by Soldier zero (250 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I like to see European comics getting some love I'm always very preocupied when they got translated into movies. Let me explain, as a general rule is pretty hard to translate a comic into a movie because the two mediums operates at different speeds. What a comic can accomplish with two well placed captions might take several minutes in a movie, minutes that will probably be utterly boring for the audience. Also, if 9 productions team out of 10 seem more interested in butchering the character instead of using what good he/she has with the U.S. comics, in Europe the situation is even worst.
Just for the sake of example, years ago Gabriele Salvatores was contacted to made live-action movie of Corto Maltese - a character he's a big fan of - but he refused. Why? According to an interview the producers had butchered the character up to the point he was closer to a bad expy of Indiana Jones.

The Dylan Dog movie is another example of such problems, let me take some of the basic out of the way:

• Dylan is based in London, not New Orleans, while I can understand the need for a location change the character is deeply rooted in the English mindset
  • He's not a sarcastic monster hunter, he's a detective and a pretty moody one
  • He doesn't pack weapons on a regular basis, in the comics his assistant Groucho had to thrown him a pistol in climatic fight of each story since Dylan refuses to carry it himself
  • As a rule of thumb Dylan hates violence, usually he only fight in self-defense
There are a ton more, but these are those than come to my mind just now.
#45 Posted by Blackreverend (138 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Tintin and for what it's worth European comics are huge in Quebec! Growing up the only Manga I read was Dragonball and all the superheroes I knew was because of TV. But up until I made the switch to american comics in High School, all I read was Tintin, Lucky Luke, Gaston Lagaffe, Spirou and probably my favorite "Valerian & Laureline"!

there's so much other good titles...

#46 Posted by NightFang (9973 posts) - - Show Bio

I never read Tintin but i'm interested in this movie and i'll look up his books/comics.

#47 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

As something i would like to add, im happy to see comicvine reporting on something that is not Marvel or DC based. There is a whole world of comics outside these two companies. Would love to see more of this. 

#48 Posted by JudahJones (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I grew up in East Africa and Tintin comics were huge back in the day. best of all, this movie looks pretty faithful to the 3 source material comics, and its a good story arcBthat will showcase the characters that made the comics so memorable (professor Calculus!). Very much looking forward to it.
#49 Posted by Herx (374 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait for Tin Tin. Grew up with him and snowys adventures. I even went to school on world book day dressed up as captain Hadock (and won a prize for it :D ) and i saw a stage production of TinTin in Tibet which was absoluty fantastic. When i first heard of this film i had doubt in my heart about it. The i heard about who was directing it and how they were going to be making it (plus screen fotage) and almost jumped for joy. I really cant wait for it.

Plus apparantly Steven Speilburg only found out about Tin Tin after a european premire of one of the first 3 indiana jones films when someone told him that his indi films have a great resmbalance to the tin tin comics, and so him being curious decided to pick them up and see how simular. :)

#50 Posted by rouder (55 posts) - - Show Bio
@weaponmaster: You have mixed up Rin Tin Tin, a german shepherd dog from various american comics, movies and radio plays, with Tintin, an adventurer from belgian comics. Those two are completely unrelated characters

btw, Rantaplan was here, Rin Tin Tin sucks

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.