Time Travel Question

#1 Posted by OmegaDynasty (9184 posts) - - Show Bio

Was thinking about this, if time travel was ever possible and the risk of it.
If one was to go back in time to say Roman times, would the time traveler be immortal in a sense? Meaning if one was to be killed in the past you would be born in the future or would it be endless cycle of you dieing the same way for all eternity? 

#2 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

It'd create a stable time loop.

#3 Posted by JeffGoldblum (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if you are travelling through time you will still age. It would be easy to put on show for the Romans or Greeks showing up every few decades pretending to be immortal, but you would eventually die just like the rest of us.

#4 Posted by ~The Wanderer~ (34405 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decoy Elite said:
" It'd create a stable time loop. "
Unless traveling back alters history, which would create a new timeline that would likely not include you at all.  Butterfly effect and everything.
#5 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
@~The Wanderer~ said:
" @Decoy Elite said:
" It'd create a stable time loop. "
Unless traveling back alters history, which would create a new timeline that would likely not include you at all.  Butterfly effect and everything. "
Well yeah, but wouldn't you already have gone back in the past and then changed and then and and.........SNAKE SNAKE SNAKE!
#6 Posted by danhimself (22207 posts) - - Show Bio

there are way to many unknowns about time travel...we're not even sure that the universe would allow time travel in the first place....but thinking about it just makes your head hurt...my advice...stop thinking about it

#7 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@JeffGoldblum said:
" Even if you are travelling through time you will still age. It would be easy to put on show for the Romans or Greeks showing up every few decades pretending to be immortal, but you would eventually die just like the rest of us. "
in other words, remember, the clock in San Dimas is always running
#8 Posted by OmegaDynasty (9184 posts) - - Show Bio
@JeffGoldblum said:
" Even if you are travelling through time you will still age. It would be easy to put on show for the Romans or Greeks showing up every few decades pretending to be immortal, but you would eventually die just like the rest of us. "
Well, wasn't really talking about aging. I meant if you traveled back to 1500 from 2010 and you were shot in the head by an arrow and died in 1500. Time would pass and would hit say 1987 when that person that time traveled was born and would just keep reliving that scenario. 
#9 Posted by danhimself (22207 posts) - - Show Bio
@OmegaDynasty said:
" @JeffGoldblum said:
Well, wasn't really talking about aging. I meant if you traveled back to 1500 from 2010 and you were shot in the head by an arrow and died in 1500. Time would pass and would hit say 1987 when that person that time traveled was born and would just keep reliving that scenario.  "
yes...a stable time loop
#10 Posted by The Opposite (293 posts) - - Show Bio
@OmegaDynasty said:
"  Was thinking about this, if time travel was ever possible and the risk of it.If one was to go back in time to say Roman times, would the time traveler be immortal in a sense? Meaning if one was to be killed in the past you would be born in the future or would it be endless cycle of you dieing the same way for all eternity?  "
have you ever heard of the phrase. "I could be my own great grandfather?"? 

it would be a loop if let time do all the decisions for you. but depending on your choices like having babies in the past for example.. youre changing history.... 
#11 Posted by The Opposite (293 posts) - - Show Bio
@OmegaDynasty said:
" @JeffGoldblum said:
Well, wasn't really talking about aging. I meant if you traveled back to 1500 from 2010 and you were shot in the head by an arrow and died in 1500. Time would pass and would hit say 1987 when that person that time traveled was born and would just keep reliving that scenario.  "
yes, and no... because with time there is concept called choices. for example, 1987 a baby is born... a year before that the parents of that baby dies out of the blue, or never had met, or decided of not having a baby... you can also uses this for each previous generation. per each individual on earth makes the world as it is in the present. so the only way, to become immortal by using time, is to make sure you are born.
#12 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on your own opinion of time travel but if you time travelled to the past and died, I'd say that you changed the past enough that you might not be born anyway. Otherwise it wouldn't be a endless cycle because your arrival in the past would create a new time line with you in it. So you might be born in the future but since we don't think forth dimensionally we would have no awareness of the past.

#13 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure. Ask Roberta Sparrow.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.