Follow

Time Masters: Vanishing Point

Volume »

Rip Hunter, Booster Gold, Superman, and Green Lantern have one objective, find the missing Bruce Wayne in the Time Stream before its too late.

Review: Time Masters: Vanishing Point #2

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman

No Caption Provided
    Rip Hunter and his skeleton crew of Time Masters stumble through an increasingly hostile procession of futuristic characters like Claw as they search for Batman in the timestream. 

The Good   

I've criticized other books for being old fashioned, but it'd actually be a compliment here. This is a simple story, but it never insults your intelligence - - it's what you loved about comics as a kid. Jurgens seems to have the best handle on Booster Gold out of anybody. The added dimension of him putting on the airs of being a shallow glory hog (and fooling fellow heroes like Green Lantern with those airs) makes his secret selflessness all the more heroic. Plus, Jurgens' art, along with Rapmund's finishes, produces a book that read so well, it just flows. I especially liked the opening scene with BG and his son watching Superman's arrival on Earth.

The Bad   

This could really use a recap page at the beginning.  Even as seasoned as I am when it comes the DCU, I was still a little lost as to how this factored in to the broad scheme of things. It'd definitely help to have a brief explanation of who Claw is, for example, as well as the other future-flung characters. It's even more of an issue since the only bad parts of this are when the characters start getting into some forced exposition (like for Supernova's introduction) which could be easily remedied with a recap.

The Verdict - 4/5  

Anybody who was disappointed by Jurgens departing the proper Booster Gold title needs to pick this up, because he's picking up right where he left off, as if nothing ever happened. Honestly, even if you don't give a lick about Batman, this is still a good old-fashioned, fun romp through the DCU that takes itself just seriously enough to still enjoy it as a drama.     
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By doordoor123

I like that were getting to know more about Rip Hunter and the relationship he has with Booster Gold.

BrianDusel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BrianDusel

I'm digging Booster Gold.  Ever since 52, the character has turned around for me and makes me follow him to books like Justice League: Generation Lost and the Time Masters.  Can't wait to pick up issue # 2!
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Caligula

looks fun

looks like a cheezy pulp cover
    Roxanne would love it

ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ForbushBug

Recap pages are for chumps as Homer J might say. Gimme story. Half the fun of using obscure characters is figuring out who they are. "Crisis on Infinite Earths" would've twice as long if they had to take every reader by the hand and spell out who every character was.  Besides, recap pages leave out nuances and subplots most the time. All they recap is stuff you can figure out if you got two brain cells to rub together. I skip over Marvel's all the time even if I'm jumping in on a new book for me because they don't really clue me in that much and having it spelled out takes away from the fun of discovery. Or the fun of satisfaction with your 1337 geek mojo.

"The Obtuse Avengers have banded together to protect mankind!"

Well, yeah. They're a superhero team.

"The Planetary Purple Nurple has just attacked Earth!"  

You mean the guy on the first page of the story with a caption giving his name that's attacking Earth?  Thanks for that clue.

"Now here's a character from back in the day and hardly any info on him to do him justice so you really don't all that much about him. But this is somehow better than using actual plot and dialogue to help you out."

w00t.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By longbowhunter

The only reason I havent picked this up is the cover price. I dearly miss Jurgens on Booster Gold. Maybe I'll wait for this in trade.

Dark Noldor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1014

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Dark Noldor

I´ve just read issue # 1, I´m not familiar to Rip Hunter or Booster Gold, but I gotta say I´d liked it very much, the fact that they are father/son and Booster doesn´t know it; it´s kinda of confusing, because there are some characters that I´ve never seen before, like that partner of Despero, but I´m buying issue # 2 and all the others for sure. Dan Jurgens is a very talented artist.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By NightFang3

I've been waiting to see Rip Hunter take the lead and team up with Booster Gold.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

It might just be me but I have this feeling we're not supposed to know who Claw is. Also the art combined with what they find at the end makes me think he might be some kind of ancestor or descendant of Rip, the cover here makes him look almost like Rip in a bad wig.

Avatar image for graphiccasualfreak
    GraphicCasualFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

User Lists: 2

Might pick this one up in TB. Sounds interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.