Follow

Tim Seeley

Person » Tim Seeley is credited in 1318 issues.

Tim Seeley is an American comic book writer and artist. He is also the co-creator of HACK/SLASH and Revival. Tim is best known for working on G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, New Exiles and G.I. Joe vs. Transformers. A large portion of his work was done at Devil's Due Publishing.

Curiosity kills the gia: A western comics anthology?

gia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By gia

In Japan, people usually buy chapters of various manga collected together into a single phonebook-size anthology, to get their immediate fix on the plot...these books are usually disposed of and they buy the series they want to reread later, in the "tankobon" (equivalent to a TPB) format.

As comic fans fret about the prices of their individual chapters, do you think a system like this could ever work for works in the US? People I've talked to seem doubtful. You can read more about the idea (not mine-- Tim Seeley's) here. I'm curious as to what you guys, the comics fans, think!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck

As we talked about this, it could be a good idea.  I think people are too traditional in their ways to give up the single issues.   TPB contain basically six months worth or work (for a six issue arc).  Could we wait that long in between?  Could the publishers crank out more content in a timely manner?  Would they be able to take the risks they do now?  They can put out a new series and if it sucks, cancel after a couple issues.   With a trade, they have to commit to a couple hundred pages worth of content.  I love the convenience of the TPBs but there's no way I can wait for them to come out. 

I do think the main thing is people need to be able to let go of the single issue mentality. 

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Decept-O

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, but most readers simply aren't ready to plop down that type of money on something that size they aren't already familiar with.  Most American Anthology type comics/series sound like they are smaller than Japan's version. 

Due to finances and the fact most Americans aren't as obsessed with comics like Japan is, I don't think the concept would do well in our country. 

I think Trades are great, and plenty of readers buy them, but in the format you mentioned, I just think U.S. readers would not be swayed to do it. 

O.K., O.K., one last thing..cute pic.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Define phonebook size, are we talking yellow pages, gargantuan thousand page thing or itty bitty book that makes me feel like I have giant hands holding it?

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Slinger

To me, there is nothing like the feel of a comic. I have a few trades, and I enjoy them, they're great for reading collections of what can be very rare books that are largely unavailable, but there is something about them that just isn't the same to me, and I would be highly resistant to switching over to an all TPB diet. If paperback became the industry standard, I would probably save a lot of money by quitting comics all together, I think they would lose a lot of their magic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.