Would Tim Drake really be a better Batman than Dick Grayson?

#1 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

Due to his brilliant detective skills and genius-level intellect, many fanboys prefer Drake to Grayson. That being said, I'm still not buying it. In a way, being the next World's Greatest Detective doesn't equate to being the next Batman. Sure, Drake can be ruthless, cunning, calculating, even to the extent of outsmarting Ra's Al Ghul. Does that immediately qualify him to be Batman? No. On the other hand, Grayson has had a illustrious career filled with numerous accomplishments, and yet it seems as if even his diehard fans consider him below competent compared to his successor. In fact, during the tumultuous Battle for the Cowl, a few people even considered Harvey Dent to be a more worthy contender for the role (angst, maybe?).    
 
Here is my opinion on the differences between  Drake and Grayson (and not a complete rip-off from Fabian Nicieza) ; )     
 
Tim Drake:  PROS: Genius-level intellect with expertise in various fields (biology, chemistry, forensic science), Master Martial Artist, Expert Acrobat, Brilliant Tactician and Detective.   
                      CONS: Can be too rigid at times, relies too heavily on his carefully orchestrated plans, 
 
Dick Grayson: PROS: Highly intelligent with expertise in various fields (biology, chemistry, forensic science), Master Martial Artist, Greatest Acrobat in the DC Universe, Brilliant Tactician and Detective 
                          CONS: Tends to not apply meticulous planning to solo endeavors.  
 
Tim Drake is NOT Bruce Wayne. No one is Bruce Wayne, save for Bruce Wayne. But, taking a cue from Alfred, if readers were to view the mantle of Batman as a dramatic role, who would give the best performance. I sort of see Grayson as the Roger Moore to Wayne's Sean Connery. However, I cannot think of another of a counterpart for Tim Drake.....   
 
Your thoughts?  

#2 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim is also the only other person that Ra's has called detective other then Bruce this shows that Ra's views him as another equal or that he could possibly  his equal in the future
 
Tim Drake - Pierce Brosnan 

#3 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

Damian Wayne - Daniel Craig    
 
I really think that Tim and Dick are two halves of a perfect Batman, however

#4 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio
@VampireSelektor said:
"

Damian Wayne - Daniel Craig    
 
I really think that Tim and Dick are two halves of a perfect Batman, however

"

This is a very true statement, imho if there was an amalmagation of the two, he would be better than Bruce as batman. 
Back to the topic at hand, personally i see Dick Grayson to be the most worthy sucessor to the Batman throne, i have a variety of reasons for why i think this and i won't go into much detail about that here. The reason many think that Tim Drake is a better Batman comes from the fact that Tim Drake is in fact much more like Batman in his attitude towards Crime fighting (e.g. planning) as well as his strengths are in fact much of Batman's strengths (Detective, brains). Fans had a problem with Dick Grayson assuming the mantle because it kind of changed what they were used to reading, since Dick deals with Crime differently than those two.  
I think that now some of these people might agree with the decision to make Dick Batman since, the readers can chose what type of Batman to read since they are in seperate titles, as well as see them in a team dynamic (in Batman inc. if its heading that way). Making Tim Drake Batman would have to have him mature more than is plausible and have him take role in the current JLA, something I see that DC would have trouble doing considering he still kinda belongs in the Teen Titans, imo anyway. I am sure many will disagree, but this is Ultimatley my opinion on the topic.
#5 Posted by jasraj (4728 posts) - - Show Bio
i already made this
#6 Posted by mistersarcastic (324 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:
" @VampireSelektor said:
"

Damian Wayne - Daniel Craig    
 
I really think that Tim and Dick are two halves of a perfect Batman, however

"

This is a very true statement, imho if there was an amalmagation of the two, he would be better than Bruce as batman. 
Back to the topic at hand, personally i see Dick Grayson to be the most worthy sucessor to the Batman throne, i have a variety of reasons for why i think this and i won't go into much detail about that here. The reason many think that Tim Drake is a better Batman comes from the fact that Tim Drake is in fact much more like Batman in his attitude towards Crime fighting (e.g. planning) as well as his strengths are in fact much of Batman's strengths (Detective, brains). Fans had a problem with Dick Grayson assuming the mantle because it kind of changed what they were used to reading, since Dick deals with Crime differently than those two.  I think that now some of these people might agree with the decision to make Dick Batman since, the readers can chose what type of Batman to read since they are in seperate titles, as well as see them in a team dynamic (in Batman inc. if its heading that way). Making Tim Drake Batman would have to have him mature more than is plausible and have him take role in the current JLA, something I see that DC would have trouble doing considering he still kinda belongs in the Teen Titans, imo anyway. I am sure many will disagree, but this is Ultimatley my opinion on the topic. "
I agree with both of these. Though the only thing I didn't particularly like about Dick taking the Batman mantle, was not because of his original approach towards crime, but it seemed like he was returning to the shadow the Batman always seemed to cast of it's Robin. Here he was being his own as Nightwing and then he dived back in. But at the same time, I guess he didn't return, it's more like he embraced it in a way? If that makes any sense to anyone 'coz it did in my head. As for Tim making a better B-Man than Dick... I'll say this: I'm a "Tim fan boy" and I don't particular think his wits and resources make him a better Bat, and I particularly think Dick makes a better one than he does. Like VampireSelektor said, they make two halves of a perfect Batman. I much prefer them running as their own heroes though and now wondering just how long Dick Grayson's run as Gotham's Batman will last.
#7 Posted by andrea_mendoza1997 (342 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's just say they are equal okay maybe  but Dick has had more experience than Tim.

#8 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio


I think it depends on what you think makes batman great the way i see it all the robins make up part of the bat

Dick: The Acrobat (but the most balanced when it comes to other skills)

Jason: The Fighter (I don't know what martial arts he knows but the passion and agression possible of batman is in his fist)

Tim: The Detective (Whether or not he ever becomes batman he will inherit the title worlds greatest detective)

It took over a year to pick a title for damien and this is probably a temproary one but

Damien: The Fear (no other robin has been scary while they were robin Tim and Dick still aren't necisarily scary)

 

Personaly I think the detective acpect is the most important and in 10, 20 years when Bruce retires on purpose then a mature Tim should deffinetly becom batman but until then Dick is doing fine (I wish he was more dark thats my only isue with it, How do they make charecters darker? oh yeah. kill a friend. Now who should die :), ).

#9 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:
"


I think it depends on what you think makes batman great the way i see it all the robins make up part of the bat

Dick: The Acrobat (but the most balanced when it comes to other skills)

Jason: The Fighter (I don't know what martial arts he knows but the passion and agression possible of batman is in his fist)

Tim: The Detective (Whether or not he ever becomes batman he will inherit the title worlds greatest detective)

It took over a year to pick a title for damien and this is probably a temproary one but

Damien: The Fear (no other robin has been scary while they were robin Tim and Dick still aren't necisarily scary)

 

Personaly I think the detective acpect is the most important and in 10, 20 years when Bruce retires on purpose then a mature Tim should deffinetly becom batman but until then Dick is doing fine (I wish he was more dark thats my only isue with it, How do they make charecters darker? oh yeah. kill a friend. Now who should die :), ).

"

Eh, I wouldn't deem Jason as The Fighter. Given his propensity for traps, misdirection, and a fanboy-like determination to "out-gritty" and outdo Batman, I would label Jason as either The Trickster or The Propagandist.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.