Would people read a costume-less Tim Drake book?

#1 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

He's always been the "detective" child of Batman, why not a book starring him in plainclothes assisting Commissioner Gordon? Other threads have suggested he become the new oracle, which would be another non-cape option, but I'd really prefer them to play him up as a detective. 

Heck, they used Detective Comics to launch Batwoman, why couldn't they use it to relaunch Tim as the junior member/protagonist of a new GCPD-style book? 

Just a thought.

#2 Posted by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, I'd read it, but Tim really belongs as a superhero...

#3 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Vigil- said:
Well, if he was "undercover" but not dressed like a superhero/jumping off of rooftops I'd still count it. Tim as the new Spirit or something.
#4 Posted by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoa, Tim as the Spirit. Awesome. Ooh, or the Question.

#5 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I would, but I don't speak for the majority of comic readers ;)

#6 Posted by Mockingbird (63 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Vigil- said:
You said it, bro.
#7 Posted by danhimself (22553 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him as Red Robin...the role just seems to fit him

#8 Posted by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: So long as he stops being quite so dark and grim, I'd be fine with it.
#9 Posted by jukeboxheroabc (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim is going to stay on as Red Robin in the Teen Titans Relaunch

#10 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, and while I'm still not keen on the name, the costume is at least not a knockoff Dr. Midnight outfit.

#11 Posted by jukeboxheroabc (148 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg:  Agreed!  It looks more like the Uthernet costume. I'm looking forward to seeing it in more detail. I have to say since they are not totally messing up the Batman books, this "reboot" is becoming less painful. Though all I wonder is what they are going to do with Cass and Steph.
#12 Edited by The_Tree (7483 posts) - - Show Bio
@jukeboxheroabc: Hopefully Cass and Steph make it, I'm hoping for the Blackbat and Spoiler names to make a return.

I wouldn't like a costumeless Tim, I really dig this new Red Robin costume, the only thing I wish for was that Dick would go back to blue, the Bat-family's got enough red.

I'm a little disappointed that a Red Robin book hasn't been announced yet, I'm getting nervous about the title's survival.
#13 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Tree: That's the second time I've seen the name "Blackbat" on these forums. What's that in reference to? Someone in Batman Inc.? A name Cass once used? A bat-family character I don't know about?
#14 Edited by The_Tree (7483 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:

@The_Tree: That's the second time I've seen the name "Blackbat" on these forums. What's that in reference to? Someone in Batman Inc.? A name Cass once used? A bat-family character I don't know about?

A codename/callsign Cass used with Bruce in Batman Inc. #6!
#15 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Tree: Ah! That's cool. When I first saw it I thought people were sarcastically referring to Batwing. I like that it's sounds like "black belt" and is in reference to Cass.
#16 Posted by jukeboxheroabc (148 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Tree: Ah, The_Tree, Nice to see you on this forum. I agree with going back to the blue and black. I mean Blue is the color of hope in the DCU and Dick is typically the most hopeful one in the family, in my opinion.  I would love a Red Robin book as well. perhaps they could give a Blackbat/Spoiler team up book. Those two tend to make good stories together and I have a secret desire to see them bail out Tim and Damian from being  captured by Jason.
#17 Posted by The_Tree (7483 posts) - - Show Bio
@jukeboxheroabc: Yeah, I definitely want to see more Damian/Tim team ups, Blackbat/Spoiler would be awesome too!
I'm REALLY hoping that DC doesn't just erase Steph and Cass, though, that'd be a HUGE disappointment, heck, I'm still disappointed that there's no more Oracle, and the Birds of Prey team has been ravaged.
#18 Posted by jukeboxheroabc (148 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Tree: I know wyat you mean about BoP, It kinda ruins part of the joy reading of it . I can't see them getting rid of Cass and Steph since they didn't get rid of Jason, Tim or Damian. I mean they just brought back Cass out of limbo and there is enough support for Steph that it would make this reboot horrible if they erased them. All I can say at least it seems they haven't screwed up Batman too much. I have a feeling that 's thanks to Morrison and  Batman Editor Mike Marks. I just wonder if the reboot changes Tim being  head of the Outsiders?
#19 Posted by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio
@jukeboxheroabc said:
@The_Tree: I know wyat you mean about BoP, It kinda ruins part of the joy reading of it . I can't see them getting rid of Cass and Steph since they didn't get rid of Jason, Tim or Damian. I mean they just brought back Cass out of limbo and there is enough support for Steph that it would make this reboot horrible if they erased them. All I can say at least it seems they haven't screwed up Batman too much. I have a feeling that 's thanks to Morrison and  Batman Editor Mike Marks. I just wonder if the reboot changes Tim being  head of the Outsiders?
They may not get rid of Cass or Steph, but I doubt we'll see much of them in this trimmed-down DCU. Several characters seem to be getting less "screen time". It looks like Tim might not have a solo title anymore, for instance. There's also no word on an Outsiders title, so with that plus the fact that Tim is on the Titans (and probably younger now, too) I HIGHLY doubt he'll be leading the outsiders. Also: IMHO, Morrison's been screwing up the Batman books for years.
#20 Posted by jukeboxheroabc (148 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Vigil- said:
@jukeboxheroabc said:
They may not get rid of Cass or Steph, but I doubt we'll see much of them in this trimmed-down DCU. Several characters seem to be getting less "screen time". It looks like Tim might not have a solo title anymore, for instance. There's also no word on an Outsiders title, so with that plus the fact that Tim is on the Titans (and probably younger now, too) I HIGHLY doubt he'll be leading the outsiders. Also: IMHO, Morrison's been screwing up the Batman books for years.
True, But Inc is going to still exist though so Idon't know how that will work. What do you feel about the theory of Tim not having any back story with the Bat-Family?  I mean it's not the first time DC has done something like this. Look at Power Girl. 

I know you feel Morrison screwed up the Batman books, I used to feel the same way as well. But after taking a look at the direction it seemed to be headed, Especially after INC 6, I have to say he has added some good history. I mean I agreee that Jason should have dark hair but those are just small issues IMHO.
#21 Posted by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Tim really isn't going to be connected to the Bat-Family this time around, and I'm actually excited to see the direction that takes him in.

As for Morrison, I don't hate his stuff, it's just really weird and... bleh.

#22 Posted by The_Tree (7483 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be super upset if Tim didn't have any Bat-family history, his stories where he was Robin, were amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.