Follow

Tim Drake

Character » Tim Drake appears in 3333 issues.

At the age of nine, Timothy Drake cleverly deduced the identities of Batman and Robin. Four years later, after the death of Jason Todd, Tim convinced Batman that he should be the new Robin. He would later become leader of Young Justice.

Why So Much Hate for the Unternet Costume?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mercy_

I don't get it. I've seen some diehard Drake fans go totally up in arms about this costume and remark about how glad they are that the revamp costume isn't modeled on it. So, why all the hate? I actually think it looks really freaking cool.

Unternet Costume
    Unternet Costume
    Current Costume
    Current Costume
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By iLLituracy

His current costume blows. The Unternet costume was slightly better. To tell the truth I don't like Tim as Red Robin, at all.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mercy_

@iLLituracy: Thank you!

Why don't you like him as Red Robin?

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By JonesDeini
    @The Dark Huntress:  
    Okay, first of all I like the Unternet suit. Secondly, the reason it's hated is because it brings up bad memories of  "The film that shall not be named...". I've never been a fan of his current costume, looks too much like Doctor Midnight. 
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @JonesDeini said:
    @The Dark Huntress:  Okay, first of all I like the Unternet suit. Secondly, the reason it's hated is because it brings up bad memories of  "The film that shall not be named...". I've never been a fan of his current costume, looks too much like Doctor Midnight. 
    Some Tim fan told me that he did'nt like it cause it was trying too hard to look like Nightwing.I think it's cool.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JonesDeini
    @entropy_aegis: Hmmm I see some similarities but I honestly didn't think about Nightwing The First time I saw it 

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iLLituracy
    @The Dark Huntress said:

Because it's not his identity. Robin is. Red Robin is something he was sort of forced into because Damian was given his mantle. Right now I'm in a place where I kind of feel Robin wasn't really his identity, either. But he's had it so long he can claim it as his own. 
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mercy_

@iLLituracy said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

Because it's not his identity. Robin is. Red Robin is something he was sort of forced into because Damian was given his mantle. Right now I'm in a place where I kind of feel Robin wasn't really his identity, either. But he's had it so long he can claim it as his own.

Pretend that there isn't a revamp upcoming. What would you like to see happen with the character?

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I like the first costume better.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@The Dark Huntress: It's not bad. 

@JonesDeini said:
    the reason it's hated is because it brings up bad memories of  "The film that shall not be named...".                                          
    I know, I get Showgirls flashbacks looking at it too.
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#11  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

the unternet costume and the revamp costume are awesome. i still wish he would pick a new name.
    Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Aiden Cross
    @JonesDeini said:
    . I've never been a fan of his current costume, looks too much like Doctor Midnight. 
    Exactly how i feel.
    nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nefarious

It had more style to it.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iLLituracy
    @The Dark Huntress said:

@iLLituracy said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

Pretend that there isn't a revamp upcoming. What would you like to see happen with the character?

Honestly? If I were working the reboot I would keep Dick as Batman. Along with two Batmen have two Robins, Tim being one of them. 

If I personally were working on Tim without a reboot, I would have him give up costumed adventurer and work strictly as a detective for at least a number of issues. But that's just me.
    9th Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By 9th Wonder
    @iLLituracy said:
    @The Dark Huntress said:

There's really no difference between Tim as Red Robin and Robin..it's really just a name.Alot of other characters have used the name Robin and Tim certainly wasn't the best.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mercy_

@iLLituracy: I'd read it.

As for this:

Because it's not his identity. Robin is. Red Robin is something he was sort of forced into

EXACTLY how I feel about Dick being Batman.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iLLituracy
    @9th Wonder said:
    @iLLituracy said:
    @The Dark Huntress said:

There's really no difference between Tim as Red Robin and Robin..it's really just a name.Alot of other characters have used the name Robin and Tim certainly wasn't the best.
    Best in terms of what? He may not be the most notable, but I'd put him above any other Robin.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JonesDeini
    @iLLituracy:  
    I feel like his reasoning for choosing the name was very logical and well explained and displayed throughout Red Robin. I never felt like it was forced on Tim, if anything Tim's grown and been his best as Red Robin. Much Like Dick did when he chose to be his own man as Nightwing. 
    9th Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 9th Wonder
    @iLLituracy said:
    Best in terms of what? He may not be the most notable, but I'd put him above any other Robin.
    In what way would you put him above any other Robin.I mean he's definitely my favorite of them all personality wise but in terms of any skills or abilities he's below the others.(Not counting Damian)
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

There's never been a Tim Drake costume that I haven't liked. My least favourite would be the standard Red Robin guise. I really like his redesign.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iLLituracy
    @The Dark Huntress said: 

@iLLituracy: I'd read it.

As for this:

Because it's not his identity. Robin is. Red Robin is something he was sort of forced into

EXACTLY how I feel about Dick being Batman.

It was more of a decision for Dick. I liked how he struggled with it. How he bitched about wearing a heavy cape and cowl in his early outings as Batman. I feel like he grew into it and it gave people the chance to tell modern stories with a Batman that isn't brooding all the time, a Batman that smiles sometimes. I feel like that wasn't ever exploited enough and some of the writers that handled Dick as Batman had Dick trying to be Bruce too much. I think if it was handled correctly then Dick's Batman wouldn't have been any less true than Bruce's Batman. He would've just been more campier. 

When it comes to Tim, though, there was none of that. There was no real transition into the Red Robin role. He just started being Red Robin one day because Damian "replaced" him. I liked how Superboy insightfully told Tim that he's wearing the Red Robin uniform as penance, but I can't recall any sort of story that actually goes into why he became Red Robin. Then again, I haven't read Red Robin's early issues in a year or so. 

@JonesDeini said: 
    @iLLituracy:  I feel like his reasoning for choosing the name was very logical and well explained and displayed throughout Red Robin. I never felt like it was forced on Tim, if anything Tim's grown and been his best as Red Robin. Much Like Dick did when he chose to be his own man as Nightwing. 
    I don't exactly agree. I will say that Tim HAS grown as Red Robin. I can accept that he's at least made the identity his own, but when you look at it--there's like...two people who were wearing that same getup before him. Jason and that Red Robin that popped up in Tim's Robin title. The idea that Tim is constantly adopting someone else's identity [which isn't always a bad thing] kind of troubles me. His becoming Robin was cool, then he tried to be Batman during Battle for the Cowl and after he wasn't Robin anymore he goes and takes up Jason's discarded getup? It felt sketchy to me.  

@9th Wonder said: 
    @iLLituracy said: 
    In what way would you put him above any other Robin.I mean he's definitely my favorite of them all personality wise but in terms of any skills or abilities he's below the others.(Not counting Damian)
    In terms of carrying a story and handling his position as Batman's sidekick. Compared to Dick he's not the high-flying acrobatic fighter, but Tim's a much more intellectual character which is where my personal appreciation lies. I don't really care for where how his abilities stack up compared to the others. The fact that he's mediocre when it comes to his fighting abilities is kind of a plus for me.  

I personally wouldn't be enticed by a Robin title with Dick or Jason as the title character. Damian maybe, but the other two were boring as Robin to me.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JonesDeini
    @FadeToBlackBolt:  
    It's a bit overdesigned in areas, but overall I like it as well. 
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#23  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @9th Wonder said:
    @iLLituracy said:

i would disagee, Jason beat him as red hood. im pretty sure if you put tim at his peak as robin against the other 2 at their peak as robin, he would win
    Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By Project_Worm
    @The Dark Huntress:  
    I think people are just hating on it because it looks like he wants to be like Dick to much, I however REALLY like Unternet his regular costume looks stupid.. to me anyways.
    Phantim555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Phantim555

I never liked the Unternet costume because like someone else said it looked too much like Nightwing. I think Tim becoming Red Robin was the best thing that happened to the character because while yes Dick, Jason, and Anarky all used the name it was something he could take and mold in his own image. I'm a huge Tim Drake fan. Like FadeToBlackBolt said I didn't like him in the Standard Red Robin suit but I blame the artist actually. I love the new design by Marcus To. Tim becoming Red Robin to me was VERY different than Dick becoming Batman. Batman has been the same way for years and to me while he was good at it Dick isn't Bruce, therefore he isn't Batman so him going back to being Nightwing is better in the long run. To me, there can only be one Batman which is part of the reason Batman Inc bothered me.
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cascadeking09
    @The Dark Huntress: You heard things like that forreal? I've heard nothing but hate for the new costume and haven't heard anything negative about the unternet costume.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By fodigg
    @iLLituracy said:

His current costume blows. The Unternet costume was slightly better. To tell the truth I don't like Tim as Red Robin, at all.

Agreed. This is a step-up from the Dr. Midnight costume that Ross designed, but I never liked "Red Robin" as a name. I always think of the chain of burger joints and also it just seems like he's not really moving on. Like he's still wishing he was Robin. I wish he had a totally separate identity like Nightwing does. 

As for the new costume's design, well that is a departure, but the idea of him flying around doesn't really fit with my concept of him, which is as a Shiva-trained ninja who fights with a bo staff. I think they can do better than the Red Robin persona, and this new bird-like costume--better as it may be than the current one--feels like them doubling down on the concept of "Red Robin" which I don't like. I think Tim Drake can be his own hero. 

edit: also, where does the term "Unternet" come from? I'm missing that reference.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By daredevil21134

I wish he was still Robin

Miss Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Miss Marvel

I think his current, the unternet, and the revamp suit are all pretty wicked. Heck, it wouldn't matter if he was working Dick's Robin costume with the green underpants, to me Tim is awesome no matter what costume he wears. 

P.S. I should pry clarify that that doesn't mean I want them to put Tim in the 1st Robin suit lol.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By Caligula

cause it looks goofy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.