Why didn't Tim get his own Red Robin series in the New 52?

• 71 results
#1 Posted by PlaystationFanboy (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it because he's too busy being the leader of the Teen Titans? I find it odd that Batman, Batwoman, Batgirl, Nightwing, Catwoman, even Batwing got their own on-going series, but Red Robin doesn't.

#2 Posted by danhimself (22696 posts) - - Show Bio

they claim that Teen Titans is Red Robin's series....same with Red Hood and the Outlaws

#3 Posted by EscGamer (123 posts) - - Show Bio

i think it's gonna end up like the teen titans tv show. where it'll follow everybody but end up be specifically about red robin. least that's how the show struck me

#4 Posted by Galathanos (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Because DC is stupid

#5 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12279 posts) - - Show Bio

@EscGamer said:

i think it's gonna end up like the teen titans tv show. where it'll follow everybody but end up be specifically about red robin. least that's how the show struck me

Thats how I see it. I see this as being TD's book with a very important supporting cast.

#6 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Would be awesome

@danhimself said:

they claim that Teen Titans is Red Robin's series....same with Red Hood and the Outlaws

That's why I didn't think before put it in my pull list, was a fan obligation

#7 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedOwl_1: Have you been liking the series I've gotten mixed reviews from Tim fans

#8 Posted by SmoothJammin (2342 posts) - - Show Bio

He deserves his own title. Maybe after Titans he'll get one

#9 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@RedOwl_1: Have you been liking the series I've gotten mixed reviews from Tim fans

It's not as awesome as his pre-flashpoint series but isn't crap either. I liked when he get mad with Bart for grab one of his sweatshirts without asking first, funny. And no matter what others say, I love his new costume, is a dream one (no believe me I have dream with he in a similar costume, yeah best dream EVER)

#10 Posted by SmoothJammin (2342 posts) - - Show Bio

This might sound mean spirited but I always felt like Pre-Flashpoint Tim was shaping up to be a badass villain. A chess-master type. He played around with Boomerang's life and made plenty of questionable decisions as Red Robin. If he went rogue and sided with Ra's or Leviathan he might become one of Batman's greatest villains.

#11 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

This might sound mean spirited but I always felt like Pre-Flashpoint Tim was shaping up to be a badass villain. A chess-master type. He played around with Boomerang's life and made plenty of questionable decisions as Red Robin. If he went rogue and sided with Ra's or Leviathan he might become one of Batman's greatest villains.

....I don't think he was turning into a villain, but it would have been Bad A if he sided with Ra's

#12 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

If he went rogue and sided with Ra's or Leviathan he might become one of Batman's greatest villains.

There is no reason for Tim to go rogue though. I think it would be totally out of character and a shame if he ever became a villain. Besides, Jason already fills the role of Robin gone bad.

That being said, Tim going rogue would, in my opinion, become the most dangerous villain that Batman has ever faced. Especially under Ra's mentorship.

#13 Posted by TDK_1997 (15086 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it's considered that the Teen Titans is Tim's series but I would like actual series only about him.

#14 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

i miss the Red Robin series. badly. :(

#15 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read Teen Titans yet, but I think it'd be good enough if it was like Red Hood, where it focuses on Tim.

#16 Posted by Dhor (282 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this TT better than the last one . idk but the old one was kinnda getting tired.

that being said i agree with the op: we need a Red robin book (i really like the new costume but i`m not digging the name, Tim is such a great character and he deserves a really cool name)

#17 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be surprised if he didn't get a book eventually, I saw a lot of people complaining about the lack of one in the DC Forums when the 52 was revealed. Although, we have too many Bat-books as it is...

#18 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

Um... maybe if there was a third new 52 wave, we could see a Red Robin book? Which two would you guys rather have, Batman Inc, Batwing, or Red Robin?

#19 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

Um... maybe if there was a third new 52 wave, we could see a Red Robin book? Which two would you guys rather have, Batman Inc, Batwing, or Red Robin?

Batwing. TT really has been turning out to have Tim as the main character, so I'm not that desperate for a RR series and Batwing has been a really good book so far

#20 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

Dan Didio said that in the DCnU each Robin would have their own showcase. Dick-Nightwing, Damian-Batman and Robin, Tim-Teen Titans, and Jason-Red Hood and the Outlaws. (he did forget that Steph was a Robin when he made that statement)

If you look closely, Dick is the only Robin who supports his own solo comic, so Tim didn't get overlooked.

#21 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:

Dan Didio said that in the DCnU each Robin would have their own showcase. Dick-Nightwing, Damian-Batman and Robin, Tim-Teen Titans, and Jason-Red Hood and the Outlaws. (he did forget that Steph was a Robin when he made that statement)

If you look closely, Dick is the only Robin who supports his own solo comic, so Tim didn't get overlooked.

I'm 90% sure Steph's time as Robin has been retconned, I don't particularly care because I never counted her as Robin but with only 5 years for all the robins to happen it does make since.

#22 Posted by X9 (767 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's too soon for him to have his own series. Plus, he's with the TT and it'll probably last for a couple years.

#23 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@X9: Hello little brother, I am your older sister X35! Haven't seen you since our last family reunion! ;)

#24 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

Because DC was hellbent on having exactly 52 titles, and couldn't find a place for a lot of deserving characters, like Tim.

#25 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11268 posts) - - Show Bio

I would sacrifice a Red Robin comic for a Red Robin/Black Bat (who I would have involved) series.

#26 Edited by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dhor said:

I like this TT better than the last one . idk but the old one was kinnda getting tired.

Yeah, Lobdell's run has been the best since Johns's most of the runs in the middle were awful but the one towards the end was alright, but still just third place compared to the aforementioned writers

@Supreme Marvel said:

I would sacrifice a Red Robin comic for a Red Robin/Black Bat (who I would have involved) series.

definitely, I wrote DC 10 times begging for exactly that, hopefully the idea has at least crossed there mind

#27 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11268 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@Supreme Marvel said:

definitely, I wrote DC 10 times begging for exactly that, hopefully the idea has at least crossed there mind

I'll keep tweeting them until they get a clue.

#28 Posted by X9 (767 posts) - - Show Bio

: Hahaha, it's never late to meet with relatives again.

I hope you don't see my user name as a problem though. It has nth to do with yours, I swear :P

#29 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

Obligatory reminder about the unsubstantiated rumor that there will be a Jeff Lemire The Robins series.

Additionally, so that they would have something to replace faltering titles with/disperse readers across titles... there will be a Tim series again. He just concluded a 183+specials series back to back with a 26 issue series. They did the same thing with Nightwing, and he returned. There are always characters that could sustain an ongoing series that aren't doing so at that moment... if we put them all out at the same time, we'd have 100+ series, which would not receive the same level of readership. There is certainly a place for Tim fans right now, and in time he'll return to the team/solo fashion.

#30 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

it'd be intersting

it could show what tim does when he's in gotham because i preffer him as a gotham hero

#31 Posted by edge0076 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

Red Robin by far.

#32 Posted by slade_wilson (602 posts) - - Show Bio

The Red Robin series was some of my favorite books I have ever read. The Teen Titans series is starting to annoy me, I wish they would just give him a series and be done with it.

#33 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:

Dick is the only one who has been tried several times and failed to maintain a solo title that was any where near decent.

Tim and Stephanie both have held solo titles that were far better than the attempts for Dick

Damian hasn't been around long enough

pre-flashpoint Jason would have been really interesting to follow, especially with Scarlet by his side.

#34 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Because there is already enough bat books as it is and DC is trying to move towards having more team books instead of having 75% solo books?

#35 Posted by Jawshco (244 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel: I'd love to see a title with Red Robin (preferably with a new alias for Tim), Cassie, and Stephanie Brown in it as a small little team. I think those three would play very well together, and I'm missing these 3 the most in the new 52.

#36 Posted by Jawshco (244 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: I'd definitely trade in Batman Inc, Batwing and Detective Comics for a title with Tim, Cassie and Steph in it. Of course, if the new "Robins" title happens- that could be a keeper as well.

How many Bat-titles are enough? I say if it sells and people want them then why not add more? It's a big family, and it's not nearly as congested as the "X" titles.

#37 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jawshco: Batman and tec are both huge sellers. Besides theres a new writer on tec so I think it might be pretty good from there.

As for Batwing, I think he needs the title more than Tim.

#38 Edited by Jawshco (244 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Tim sustained solo titles for many years and became a stellar character while doing so. I think that success should show why Tim is more worthy of a solo title than the newer Batwing. I continue to read Batwing, but I don't find it to be incredibly interesting unless there are other Batfamily characters involved. The fact that lesser quality Bat comics like Detective Comics sell well, is an indication that there is room for more bat-titles that the fans are clamoring for not less. Even if Tim doesn't get a "solo" title, Teen Titans is definitely not enough. I'd be completely happy with a Tim, Steph and Cassie title.

#39 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jawshco said:

@sethysquare: We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Tim sustained solo titles for many years and became a stellar character while doing so. I think that success should show why Tim is more worthy of a solo title than the newer Batwing. I continue to read Batwing, but I don't find it to be incredibly interesting unless there are other Batfamily characters involved. The fact that lesser quality Bat comics like Detective Comics sell well, is an indication that there is room for more bat-titles that the fans are clamoring for not less. Even if Tim doesn't get a "solo" title, Teen Titans is definitely not enough. I'd be completely happy with a Tim, Steph and Cassie title.

not gonna happen. lol.

#40 Edited by richardjohngrayson (444 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken said:

@jsphsmth said:

Dick is the only one who has been tried several times and failed to maintain a solo title that was any where near decent.

Tim and Stephanie both have held solo titles that were far better than the attempts for Dick

Damian hasn't been around long enough

pre-flashpoint Jason would have been really interesting to follow, especially with Scarlet by his side.

I respectfully disagree Chuck Dixon's Nightwing run was Fantastic and when Dick was Batman he had several good books at once.

#41 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@richardjohngrayson: read "maintain."

#42 Edited by richardjohngrayson (444 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken said:

I tried to be respectful why the condescending tone dude? All I am saying is

Dixon's run was fo 70 great issues pretty good run. If by "maintain." you mean last forever no character in history has gone with out low points.

more recently Dick was Batman for 3 years...

That being said I think all his books as Batman were quality and his New 52 Nightwing book has been great so three years of good Bat books and 1 year of a good Nightwing book. I think 4 years of good books is considered maintaining.

#43 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@richardjohngrayson said:

@Durakken said:

Dixon's run was fo 70 great issues pretty good run. If by "maintain." you mean last forever no character in history has gone with out low points.

That being said I think all his books as Batman were quality and his New 52 Nightwing book has been great so three years of good Bat books and 1 year of a good Nightwing book. I think 4 years of good books is considered maintaining.

Dixon is awesome, but when I say maintained I mean from 1 author to the next and one series to the next. As good as a "run" is if it is completely ignored in everything that surrounds it then it is not maintained.

#44 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9252 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Ya but I still wish he had his own series. Maybe they will reconsider

#45 Edited by richardjohngrayson (444 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken said:

@Durakken said:

Dixon is awesome, but when I say maintained I mean from 1 author to the next and one series to the next. As good as a "run" is if it is completely ignored in everything that surrounds it then it is not maintained.

That was my point. He had at least 3 good books by three different authors as Batman(at the same time) and he now has Kyle Higgins who is kicking butt. Thats four good authors in a row.

#46 Posted by Joygirl (20158 posts) - - Show Bio

Because DC wants you to suffer. As usual.

#47 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

because Tim is the worst robin

damian has already outshined Tim in every way

#48 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken said:

@Durakken said:

That was my point. He had at least 3 good books by three different authors as Batman(at the same time) and he now has Kyle Higgins who is kicking butt. Thats four good authors in a row.

Dick as Batman while Bruce is gone is not the same as Dick as Nightwing while Bruce is around. And as soon as it switch from the latter to the former and the former to the latter there was a change in how he is handled by the authors and the editors. He completely gets shafted by that change and it is annoying.

And Higgins hasn't been doing a good job in my opinion with the new title.

On a sidenote: I think it's a bit harsh though to call anyone but those in charge and making the decisions as bad at what they are doing is being forced on them by idiots. Higgins, i don't have a reference point for so I can't say he's good or bad, but the series so far is bad. Kinda like Batgirl, Barbara Gordon, is being written by Gail Simone who I think is a great writer, but no amount of talent can help when you are being forced to do things that don't really work, like everything that is happening in Batgirl and having to redevelop such a deep character.

#49 Posted by richardjohngrayson (444 posts) - - Show Bio

This all comes down to opinion. Ours differ a great deal. So I am gonna just agree to disagree.

#50 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1683 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I agree with you anyways on Dick having good authors writing him since his time as Batman. He definitely had his low points as Nightwing though, and Tim had his low points as Red Robin. So i'd say that Dick's been doing fairly well for the past few years and Tim was the one who wasn't doing so hot before the reboot. But that's just my opinion lol

Teen Titans really does seem to be focused around Tim, in the same way the show was focused around Dick. If it stays that way, with him appearing alongside Batman every now and again to deal with family matters then I don't think there's any problem. Same goes with Jason and his outlaws. Though I feel the need to say I am 100% behind a Red Robin/Black Bat series.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.