Follow

Tim Drake

Character » Tim Drake appears in 3333 issues.

At the age of nine, Timothy Drake cleverly deduced the identities of Batman and Robin. Four years later, after the death of Jason Todd, Tim convinced Batman that he should be the new Robin. He would later become leader of Young Justice.

Whats next?: Tim Drake

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

Edited By SevanGrim

Usurper of the
     Usurper of the "R"
         Since Damian Wayne came tumbling into the Bat-family, no one persons identity has suffered more than Tim Drakes.  While every other Bat has been promoted or introduced to a comfortable and easy to digest position, Tim was thrust into uncertainty.  Even when he took on the Red Robin persona, his identity seemed juggled between the same old Robin he can no longer be, and a sort of Green Hornet-esq anti-hero. And it certainly didnt help that Red Robin was already associated with other Robins before him. Tim seemed to be everything except who we needed him to be: himself. 

Jason Todd as Red Robin 
    Jason Todd as Red Robin 

Dick Greyson as Red Robin in Kingdom Come
     Dick Greyson as Red Robin in Kingdom Come
    But in the past couple months, his character has finally begun to emerge from the confusion and develop his own identity, both in his own comics and in his cameos. 
      For starers, Red Robin has become a more focused character. Early on, DC seemed to want him to be a sort of one man itereation of the Outsiders. His sole porposed seemed to be doing what a good guy couldnt, which lead him into the den of Ra's al Ghul...and later into his sights. While the arc was an interestig read, it seemed slightly out of character for Tim to take on massively dangerous foes like Ra's alone on purpose. And while it was made apparent that DC wanted him to be out of character, i feel like Tim is one of those characters who never would just gamble the way he did against Ra's. He has always been a thinker. A tactition. And as such, " i hope this works" was never a saying he planned to employ. 
        However, from the oddity, Tim developed much more of an identity than he had before. He stumbled upon several new allies that are his and his alone (removed from the shared allies the Batfamily has been know to utilize), and forged his own new gimic as Tim Drake: that of the Jr. Billionair Playboy... on crutches. 
          In the most recent issue of Red Robin, we have also seen how he sees himself, as a sort of hybrid of what he has become and what he always will be, and with a snazzy new costume to reflect the personality that i hope we will see again. And the upcoming Teen Titans cross over will bring a reunion that many readers have been sorely missing (If Wonder Girl, Kid Flash, and Superboy are in the issue, it will mark the first time the remaining members of Young Justice have been together since Conner died back in Crisis...i think. pretty sure.).  

Robin III was one of the first comics i ever bought, and i have always favored Tim Drake over all other Robins. Now that he's lost the R, my greatest fear is that DC will do to him what they did to Jason Todd and Anarky and let him fade into the background. However it seems that for the moment, TIm Drake and Red Robin have a future. 
         How do you feel about the recent changes in Tim's character? Are you feeling the Newer Red Robin, or do you want him back as Robin,  or do you think he should just hang up his quarter staff and pick up soccer?
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By ReVamp

@Grim:

They were together in an Adventure Comics... Just thought I should point that out. As of what comes next, I think that it should be him going back to the Teen Titans. But when is the crossover happening? Havent heard of it. But I am happy. As for Tim, I think he should keep the costume change, he has made the mantle his own. Kind of like how Todd did with the red hood mantle. He has changed the look and now when we think Red Robin we think Drake. On the other hand it kind of pisses me off the it is called Red Robin since it kind of makes it makes me think thate he wants to be Robin again.

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Theodore
    @ReVamp said:
    "

@Grim:

They were together in an Adventure Comics... Just thought I should point that out. As of what comes next, I think that it should be him going back to the Teen Titans. But when is the crossover happening? Havent heard of it. But I am happy. As for Tim, I think he should keep the costume change, he has made the mantle his own. Kind of like how Todd did with the red hood mantle. He has changed the look and now when we think Red Robin we think Drake. On the other hand it kind of pisses me off the it is called Red Robin since it kind of makes it makes me think thate he wants to be Robin again.

"
    the crossover is coming next month I think
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SevanGrim
    @ReVamp: wasnt that just him and Conner? I was referring to the full set (Wonder Girl and Kid Flash as well). 

as for his being Red Robin, i didnt properly like the idea until i saw the Uternet costume last issue. That made it seem like he was making the mantle his own. Before that, i honestly would have rather he just not had a name. I hated that they just started passing the RR mantle around like that, same costume and all. 
     I hope that we see all of his old gear in his series too. I've really been missing his car and all of his specialized gadgets these last few years. I started reading during Knight Fall when he was like his own hero and Spoiler was like his sidekick. I want that feel back. Lately it seems like he's been less of an individual than back then.
    Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Yung ANcient One

i think hes good... he might jus be like another nightwing or something... IMO

he wont disappear

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Grim:
    I like how he is now. Can you please post a scan of the look you were talking about?

"In the most recent issue of Red Robin, we have also seen how he sees himself, as a sort of hybrid of what he has become and what he always will be, and with a snazzy new costume to reflect the personality"
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SevanGrim
    @DEGRAAF: its the second image in the line up at the bottom of the blog. but there are a few other ones, so here yah go:)

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SevanGrim

:)

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Grim:
    Thanks. I like it (mostly bc it brings back good memories of Nightwing but i really like his current look (shown as the first pic next to Damien), i think he just needs to get rid of the cowl and put on the eye masks again and it would look better
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ReVamp

@DEGRAAF said:
    "@Grim: Thanks. I like it (mostly bc it brings back good memories of Nightwing but i really like his current look (shown as the first pic next to Damien), i think he just needs to get rid of the cowl and put on the eye masks again and it would look better " 

He should souldn't he. I think he should also add some blue to the costume, or make some change in it. He is wearing Batman's costume, what he should do is wear his own Batman costume and be his own type of Batman

@Grim said:
    " @ReVamp: wasnt that just him and Conner? I was referring to the full set (Wonder Girl and Kid Flash as well).  as for his being Red Robin, i didnt properly like the idea until i saw the Uternet costume last issue. That made it seem like he was making the mantle his own. Before that, i honestly would have rather he just not had a name. I hated that they just started passing the RR mantle around like that, same costume and all.  I hope that we see all of his old gear in his series too. I've really been missing his car and all of his specialized gadgets these last few years. I started reading during Knight Fall when he was like his own hero and Spoiler was like his sidekick. I want that feel back. Lately it seems like he's been less of an individual than back then. "

No. Him and Conner were together in Red Robin series. Maybe in the Adventure Comics as well, but I am sure that all four of them were together for a page or so at the end of an arc. (I believe it to be the Luthor arc).

As for the costume: I could not agree more.

GhostHawk One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GhostHawk One

Tim Drake will never die :)
    As Robin, Tim never had any intention to become Batman or the next Nightwing but after the death of his father his life he had to continue being Robin.
    He tried not being Robin and got replaced by Stephanie Brown and she kinda died.. 

I don't think he'll disappear anytime soon, he's got a bigger role now with Bruce back and being a member of Batman Incorporated.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SevanGrim
    @GhostHawk One:  i hope to god your right.
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SevanGrim
    @ReVamp: holy crap, i guess your right.  All 4 of them around a camp fire. I guess i overlooked that one becuase of the lack of action and how short it was, but kick myself i shall.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ReVamp
    @Grim:
    Don't kick yourself, I mean it was something easily missable. The first "reunion" of the 4 should have been something more monumental with more action.
    He will never fade into the background... not anytime soon.
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SevanGrim
    @ReVamp: i thought that about Cassandra Cain. But once she stopped working directly under Batman, she dropped from constant appearances to a couple here and there, and then almost a year (and counting) of practical non-existence. 
     all it will take is for Red Robin to drop in sales a little, and he'll loose his title. Just like Superboy did. And once we only see him in random teen Titans and BAtman cameos, it would be all to easy to make him vanish. 
    transportive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By transportive

The writer's got a lot of big, on-going plans for Tim, apparently-- so I've got high hopes for RR to keep going.

Related, apparently he also wants to make Cassandra a bigger part of the RR book-- which means she might be coming back! :)

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ReVamp
    @transportive:  
    Cool. Its a worthwhile investment to have her as a secondary character kind of thing.  

@Grim:   
    Yes, well Batgirl was never part of the "core" of the Bat-Family, she was also very different to them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.