Tim's new origin?

  • 76 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio

When talking about the new Teen Titans #1, IGN posted: "Tim Drake is forced to step out from behind his keyboard when an international organization seeks to capture or kill super-powered teenagers. As Red Robin, he must team up with the mysterious and belligerent powerhouse thief known as Wonder Girl and a hyperactive speedster calling himself Kid Flash in TEEN TITANS #1, by Scott Lobdell and artists Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund." 
 
Extrapolating from this, it sounds like Tim is a computer nerd/hacker that set out on his own as a superhero - with no ties to Batman - to help out super-powered teens at the urging of only his conscience, forming the Teen Titans in the process. I wish this was some kind of ongoing Elseworlds title instead of the new status quo, but this actually sounds PRETTY DANG AWESOME. 
 

 
UPDATE! According this Bleeding Cool interview with Scott Lobdell, writer of the upcoming Teen Titans series, this isn't nearly so much of a reboot as I had suspected, but there WILL be changes to the continuity - such as the Titans never having met before. Check out the article, it answers a lot of questions.

#2 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12506 posts) - - Show Bio

it does sound pretty cool. right up Tim's ally.
#3 Posted by Mercy_ (92500 posts) - - Show Bio

....not sure how I feel about this

Moderator
#4 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really sure yet. I want to read it first.

Online
#5 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Vigil-:  Extrapolation is never a good thing.  Just cause it doesn't say anything about Batman in the summary doesn't mean he has no ties to Batman.  In fact, it's quite possible that in this new origin he left the superhero business, but came back because of wanting to do good for his fellow teenage heroes.  
 
  But outside of that, I'm under the suspicion that the new Teen Titans will basically center around Tim, and then everyone else just gathers around him.
#6 Posted by tiger26 (129 posts) - - Show Bio

awsome i like the sound of this
#7 Posted by djotaku (441 posts) - - Show Bio

Does that necessarily mean a new origin?  Could it be that he retired from Red Robin to do school or college or w/e and now he has to come back to it?

#8 Posted by comkid100 (243 posts) - - Show Bio

It does sound like that Tim isn't going to have the same origins but he could be calling himself Red Robin in homage to Dick Graysons Robin so it would also be nice to see how he reacts around Nightwing.
#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32651 posts) - - Show Bio

I think none of the TT have anything to do with there respective famlys, superboy wonder girl kid flash and red robin, I think there all on there own. Also he might play keyboard in a band...?

#10 Edited by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita, @djotaku: I would say this is a new origin. Wonder Girl has new origin, and they announced that Teen Titans #1 features the introduction of Superboy. It's hard to imagine that Tim has been around the block before but the others haven't, especially with so many characters being younger now.
#11 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like Tim is going back to square one and may not even really be a part of the bat family.

#12 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Vigil-:  But logically speaking, Tim will need to have some sort of training.  He can't go being a hero without any sort of training, so that is actually more supportive of some connection to Batman.  And it's been shown, countless times in fact, that outside of helping keep Bruce mellow, Tim had no reason at all to be a hero, until that whole, killing off  his parents and all his friends thing happened.  Tim, out of all the Robin's, had the most reason to stop being a hero because, he had a family to return to and he was the most normal of them all.
#13 Posted by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
But outside of that, I'm under the suspicion that the new Teen Titans will basically center around Tim, and then everyone else just gathers around him.
 I kinda hope so, as much as I love the Teen Titans.
 
@spiderbat87 said:
  Also he might play keyboard in a band...?

Haha! Win!
#14 Posted by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
@-Vigil-:  But logically speaking, Tim will need to have some sort of training.  He can't go being a hero without any sort of training, so that is actually more supportive of some connection to Batman.  And it's been shown, countless times in fact, that outside of helping keep Bruce mellow, Tim had no reason at all to be a hero, until that whole, killing off  his parents and all his friends thing happened.  Tim, out of all the Robin's, had the most reason to stop being a hero because, he had a family to return to and he was the most normal of them all.
Yeah, I'm curious to see how it all plays out. But for now, extrapolating is fun. :)
#15 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

What I'm iffy about in all this is, if he's "stepping out from behind the keyboard" and Batman isn't directly involved, how does Drake know how to fight?

#16 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:
What I'm iffy about in all this is, if he's "stepping out from behind the keyboard" and Batman isn't directly involved, how does Drake know how to fight?
  That's exactly why there could be a connection between Tim and Bruce.  At the  very least, a connection between Tim and a member of the Bat-Family.
#17 Posted by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita: I think it would be cool if he's still connected to Nightwing but not to Batman.
#18 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

THIS IS DUMB. 
 
One of the biggest sells on Tim Drake was his relationship with Batman. The fact that he managed to deduce who Batman and Robin. Now I'm supposed to believe that he's some new superhero and the past 20+ years of his stories are gone?  
 
Someone call me when this reboot nonsense is over.

#19 Posted by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy: The old universe will be back eventually, I'm sure. But for now I'm enjoying the new take on existing characters.
#20 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
I'm not really feeling it.
#21 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Vigil- said:
@iLLituracy: The old universe will be back eventually, I'm sure. But for now I'm enjoying the new take on existing characters.
I don't. Because this means that the old universe is going to be put on hold until this crap is undone. 
#22 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Vigil-:  No, I'd rather it be Bruce.  Him and Tim have a unique relationship, and that development was core to his character as a whole.
#23 Edited by Mockingbird (63 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:

@fodigg said:

What I'm iffy about in all this is, if he's "stepping out from behind the keyboard" and Batman isn't directly involved, how does Drake know how to fight?
  That's exactly why there could be a connection between Tim and Bruce.  At the  very least, a connection between Tim and a member of the Bat-Family.
@-Vigil- said:

@Amegashita: I think it would be cool if he's still connected to Nightwing but not to Batman.

I think Vig has it about right. Tim should probably still be connected to the Bat family just for old times' sake (although there are ways for him to learn to fight without the connection) but Bruce already has Damian and will presumably still be connected to Dick and Jason in the relaunch. He doesn't really need Tim, and I don't think Tim really needs him.
 
I also agree with Vigil that we'll probably pretty much get the old universe back in a few years.
#24 Edited by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy: Yeah, like I said in the first post, I wish this was an ongoing Elseworlds title instead of the new state of things. But I try to look on the bright side.
#25 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mockingbird said:
@Amegashita said:

@fodigg said:

What I'm iffy about in all this is, if he's "stepping out from behind the keyboard" and Batman isn't directly involved, how does Drake know how to fight?
  That's exactly why there could be a connection between Tim and Bruce.  At the  very least, a connection between Tim and a member of the Bat-Family.
@-Vigil- said:

@Amegashita: I think it would be cool if he's still connected to Nightwing but not to Batman.

I think Vig has it about right. Tim should probably still be connected to the Bat family just for old times' sake (although there are ways for him to learn to fight without the connection) but Bruce already has Damian and will presumably still be connected to Dick and Jason in the relaunch. He doesn't really need Tim, and I don't think Tim really needs him.  I also agree with Vigil that we'll probably pretty much get the old universe back in a few years.
Why not? Tim's character was built and grew to both mirror and contrast Bruce and the fact that he never wants to be like Batman. Bruce may not NEED Tim, but Tim certainly does need that relationship to Batman. If you take that away you take away the basis for the character in general, IMO.  
 
Imagine if they did the same thing with the Nightwing relaunch. Instead of becoming Robin, Dick went straight to being Nightwing after his family is killed without Bruce there to inspire or put him into the role of Robin. It simply doesn't work. If Tim doesn't have any ties or connections to the Batman family then it's not Tim. 
#26 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
@-Vigil- said:
@iLLituracy: The old universe will be back eventually, I'm sure. But for now I'm enjoying the new take on existing characters.
I actually hope this isn't true. Even though it probably will happen, I wish for ONCE DC or Marvel when they do something THIS big they'll actually stick to them and take let the changes last, I'm so freakin' sick of the whole "status que" -__-
It's not going to happen because I have a gut feeling this is going to be a gigantic flop which is what usually prompts the whole switching back. I actually look forward to it. DC doesn't have the talent behind this to pull it off and their takes on some of these characters are atrocious. 
#27 Posted by KZR (487 posts) - - Show Bio

Does this mean all the origins of characters are gonna be changed? I'm slightly confused. Do I have to forget everything I know about Tim? I really hope not.

#28 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@KZR said:
Does this mean all the origins of characters are gonna be changed? I'm slightly confused. Do I have to forget everything I know about Tim? I really hope not.
It's likely. 
#29 Posted by KZR (487 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy: Well that is really annoying. I have to start again.
#30 Posted by The Poet (8291 posts) - - Show Bio

could be interesting, but have to see how they actully adress some of his story in this rebooted world.
Is his father still dead? or will see a new way to kill the parent off?

Moderator
#31 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Vigil- said:
@Amegashita: I think it would be cool if he's still connected to Nightwing but not to Batman.
He was originally just a Dick Grayson fan, right?
#32 Posted by daredevil21134 (10822 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW!!! This is........really......different.I'm speechless.....I don't think I like this

#33 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32651 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:
What I'm iffy about in all this is, if he's "stepping out from behind the keyboard" and Batman isn't directly involved, how does Drake know how to fight?
Yea he plays keybored for a Culture Club tribute band
#34 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7576 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad I'm not a massive DC fan or getting any of their titles atm because I could see somthing like this really annoying me based on my feelings about The Beyonder retcon.

#35 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
@fodigg said:
What I'm iffy about in all this is, if he's "stepping out from behind the keyboard" and Batman isn't directly involved, how does Drake know how to fight?
Yea he plays keybored for a Culture Club tribute band
Red Karma Chameleon?
#36 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8867 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I like the old Red Robin better.

#37 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:

He was originally just a Dick Grayson fan, right?
 
   To answer your question, Tim was a major fan of both Batman and Robin.
 
#38 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@haydenclaireheroes: My favorite Tim Drake costume was the red-black-yellow Robin costume (especially when drawn with the Tabi ninja socks, but I think that was only done once or twice for covers): 
   

I also like this "red" variant, which is cut more like Tim's "green" costume:


And I had to include this one, cause damn, that says superhero:

  
The one thing I'm really happy about with the new costume is that he's no longer in a full cowl. I can learn to love the feathered wings, but less so if they're a symbol of him being distanced from the Bat Family. Yes I would prefer the cowboy hat and trench coat to the wings.
#39 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita: Ah, gotcha. Thanks. I had it in my head that he first  discovered they were B&R because he recognized Dick do a signature "flying grayson" move and he was a fan of that show.
#40 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg:  Both Dick and Bruce are important to Tim, and they really helped shape his entire character.  Everything Tim went through, from losing his family and all, Bruce and Dick went through the same thing so he feels closest to them.  Which is why he calls them family without any reservations.
#41 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita: Well I don't deny that of course, but I was thinking more in a "what was the origin of tipping Tim off to the big secret." When he first showed up they didn't really know what to make of him, but as time went on they became friends, partners, and family.
#42 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg:  There wasn't any real tipping him off on the big secret, he already knew.  In fact, Dick and Alfred already trusted him after a few hours because of the fact that he kept their secret a secret and that he came to them, not for personal reasons, but because he was sincerely worried about Bruce. 
#43 Edited by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita: Actually, it WAS a flip that Robin did that tipped Tim off in the first place - or perhaps just confirmed his suspicions (since he'd seen the Flying Graysons in person), but that doesn't mean Tim is a bigger fan of Robin than Batman.
#44 Posted by daredevil21134 (10822 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like him not being Robin anymore has hurt him alot

#45 Posted by Samimista (20597 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be upset if he isn't in the Bat family since I love his relationship with Bruce however,the computer thing fits him.

#46 Posted by Miss Marvel (117 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, does this mean Tim's past/origins are all erased? Meaning he was never Robin, never knew Bruce or Dick or anything? Because if so that's just not cool. You can't just take away EVERYTHING Tim's gone through, everything that define him. Don't get me wrong, his new suit looks wickedly awesome and the story sounds pretty cool, but if it comes at the price of forgetting all the battles and life changing moments he went through then "nooo thank you!"
#47 Edited by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Vigil- said:

@Amegashita: Actually, it WAS a flip that Robin did that tipped Tim off in the first place - or perhaps just confirmed his suspicions (since he'd seen the Flying Graysons in person), but that doesn't mean Tim is a bigger fan of Robin than Batman.

  I never said it wasn't, I simply said he was a big fan of both Batman and Robin, and that there was no letting Tim  in on the secret of Batman and Robin because he already knew.
#48 Posted by mistersarcastic (324 posts) - - Show Bio
@Miss Marvel said:
Wait, does this mean Tim's past/origins are all erased? Meaning he was never Robin, never knew Bruce or Dick or anything? Because if so that's just not cool. You can't just take away EVERYTHING Tim's gone through, everything that define him. Don't get me wrong, his new suit looks wickedly awesome and the story sounds pretty cool, but if it comes at the price of forgetting all the battles and life changing moments he went through then "nooo thank you!"
I'm wondering the same thing. I thought this was going to take place in another alternate reality until I actually read and stopped skimming...the costume looks cool and all but what effect will this have on the DC continuity involving these characters, and how will the RR comics change...kinda skeptical about this. 
#49 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2192 posts) - - Show Bio

An article on a site that isn't IGN specifically (I believe it was Newsarama) mentioned Tim's former Robin status, mentioning that the former Robins (Dick, Tim, and Jason) will be headlining books.  I doubt Tim would've been mentioned as a former Robin if he wasn't once Robin in the new continuity. 
 
And since all of the Batman continuity is staying, especially the stuff since Grant has been on the book, then Tim would've been Robin who retired when Dick and Damian became Batman and Robin and went on to become Red Robin.  The only thing that would change in the new continuity is that he was never a member of Young Justice and never went on to join the Teen Titans because of the Graduation Day event with the Superman Robot.

#50 Edited by mistersarcastic (324 posts) - - Show Bio
@ThanosIsMad: In that case I suppose there isn't much to worry about aside from a few costumes being redesigned and such, right? Well that and edited origins. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.