Follow

Tim Drake

Character » Tim Drake appears in 3333 issues.

At the age of nine, Timothy Drake cleverly deduced the identities of Batman and Robin. Four years later, after the death of Jason Todd, Tim convinced Batman that he should be the new Robin. He would later become leader of Young Justice.

Tim filling the Oracle role...?

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By sj_esposito

When the New 52 was announced last summer, I was hoping that Tim would have filled the void left by Barbara and take on the role of 'support' for the Bat-family. I'm just curious: what do you guys think of that idea? Would you like to see that? Is it a good way to get Tim more involved with the Batfamily?

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Martian

I wish that Tim would get his own book titled, "Red Robin" which have more tie-ins with the Bat-Family.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By htb106

@Nobody: i think every team leader should have they're own ongoing .

@sEsposito7: i always liked the idea of what babs did telling the bat family their missions and it's hinted in teen titans no.1 that tim did his job over the computer.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BatteredArmor

Babs should be Oracle but since Simone f'd everything up and demoted her to Batgirl I wouldn't mind Tim stepping up and filling the role (mostly just because I hate the name Red Robin) as long as he does it differently than she did.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By ThanosIsMad

Tim is my favorite member of the Bat-Family so I'd hate that idea.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#6  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

<------ still wishes Barbara would return to being Oracle and that Cassandra would become The New 52 Batgirl.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

@War Killer said:

<------ still wishes Barbara would return to being Oracle and that Cassandra would become The New 52 Batgirl.

This

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sj_esposito

@War Killer said:

This is my first choice, too--actually, I wish nearly everything about the Batfamily went back to pre-New 52, but that's a topic for another time. I'm saying, assuming Barbara is going to stay Batgirl for a while, then I'd like to see Tim take a more active role in Gotham, even if it means filling the niche that was occupied by Oracle.

WhiteLightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WhiteLightning

Tim is WAY to good with the staff to be an Oracle-esque character.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By jrock85

@sEsposito7: He has the skills to be in the support role, but I prefer him to be out in the field.

UrbanChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By UrbanChill

babs becoming batgirl again after being oracle so long is regression for her but tim becoming an oracle like figure after finally finding himself as a solo character in the hero world is regression for him

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By X9

Truth is, no one really likes the super hacker role. People say they do, but when you ask if they'd like to see their favorite character take that place, the answer is mostly "No".

As I like both Tim and Babs, I'm glad none of them is Oracle hehe.

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sj_esposito

@X9 said:

Truth is, no one really likes the super hacker role. People say they do, but when you ask if they'd like to see their favorite character take that place, the answer is mostly "No".

As I like both Tim and Babs, I'm glad none of them is Oracle hehe.

Heh. I guess you've summed up the thoughts in this thread pretty well. Although, I will say, Tim is my all-time favorite character, and, if it meant he was more involved with the Batfamily in the DCnU, I'd be happy to see him take the 'super-hacker'/support role. I guess my major point is that, I hate the fact that The New 52 scattered the Batfamily and Tim got stuck in the Titans corner of the Universe.

pinkdaizygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pinkdaizygirl

I always thought Barbara could do both...I mean, she is Oracle, and she is Batgirl. Gail Simone in my opinion has done a phenomenal job at bring Babs back into the field as Batgirl. Barbara is capable of doing so much more than we expect, which we learned when she became Oracle. She is primarily Batgirl at the moment, but we also see her using her computer skills in the new 52 series. She uses those skills to find out Mirror's past, and she also made it so she gets her father's GCPD alerts. I dont know if that is really all that amazing, but we see it come out. Another thing, we really don't know if Barbara had ever been Oracle in the first place in the new 52. I know, that sucks. Hopefully our minds will be at ease, and Gail will show us that Oracle is still a huge part of Babs past.

pinkdaizygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pinkdaizygirl

Oh, one more thing.

Wendy Harris is the daughter of the Calculator. She could very likely have computer skills we don''t know about. She is in a wheelchair, like Babs was. She also turned on her father, so wouldn't that make her a likely candidate?

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By X9

: Do you need to be in a wheelchair to be Oracle? Hehe, one more proof that nobody wants to take that role unless it's the last option.

About Babs being able to do both (informer and hero), I totally agree with you. She's done a few hacker work not only in her comic, but also in Batwing, issues #7 and #8. Plus, she's kind of "the information girl" of the Birds of Prey.

: Hehe, haven't I? Well, I prefer to see characters on the field than in the background, it's more distant from real life, so I'd rather Tim not to be behind a computer. However, the same way Babs can occupy both positions, I see no reason why Tim wouldn't be able to do the same. Red Robin with the Titans and "Oracle"/Red Robin hacker version with the Bat-Family.

Well, the New 52 scattered the Bat-family but we can see some meetings through issues. They'll probably spend more time together in a near future. Batman and Robin #10 or #11 will be featuring all "sons of the bat" together, so I guess it's a good sign.

From now, I'm happy because at least Nightwing escaped from ending up with groups I'm not really a fan of: The Outlaws and Teen Titans. I don't think Bat-guys fill in so well. For a while, yeah, but forever it feels like they're out of place :P

pinkdaizygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pinkdaizygirl

@X9: I see your point. LOL. But Wendy is a small character, persay. She needs a bigger role...Oracle would suit her. There's also the fact that she would be taking on something of a mantle...

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By X9

:True, I'd have no objections to have Wendy as the new Oracle. And it'd keep Babs and Tim away from that mantle hahaha ;)

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Zdaybreak

@War Killer said:

I agree.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#20  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

I'd rather have proxy or Chloe Sullivan take over the role

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Crom-Cruach

@War Killer said:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.