The rights to Tim Drake?

#1 Edited by mistersarcastic (324 posts) - - Show Bio

So I've been thinking more and more as DC's newest animated series nears next month in January, and watching Superman/Batman Apocalypse and Public Enemies and Batman: Under the Red Hood: Why the hel-- heck don't they use Tim in anything animated anymore? The last time we saw him was a fat middle aged, paranoid man in the Batman Beyond movie. And before that as Robin in TNBA (The New Batman Adventures) and even then he was an Amalgam of Tim Drake and Jason Todd. Very recently they've featured Damian in Batman: the Brave and the Bold... -_- I like the brat, but I like Timmy more. DC can put him in a video game, but not use him as Robin (or Bart as KF) in Young Justice. Anyways, before I started rambling, I'm beginning to think there's some rights issues going on here... Which just sucks should that be true.

#2 Posted by Telcalipoca (957 posts) - - Show Bio

well what could they put out there that he needs to be there? what arc has he being a major part in for him to guest star in a batman film?or a superman/batman film? what teams has he being a major part in and know for it? 

#3 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

TIm Drake is my favourite Robin alongside with Grayson but maybe the reason is that most people dont know who he is? A lot of people know Jason Todd because of his death, and Dick is an obvious answer. Damian... I dont really have an answer, I guess he's kind of the poster boy in the Batman universe right now.

#4 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@mistersarcastic:  if you want to have Tim in anything, you have to explanin the other two Robins, and not just for continuity, but it adds alot to his character, his motivation and his views on what Robin should be to batman, and also how he differers from the other two, thats just my own personal reasoning on why they don't use him, but he is my favorite Robin and would love to see him in something, was actually pretty pissed when i found out Dick and Wally were gona appear in young justice and not Tim and Bart especially with Kon appearing, wanted those three to appear, their like more then best friends, each one growing up in a heroes world under the shadow of three of the greatest heroes
#5 Posted by danhimself (22290 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK said:
" @mistersarcastic:  if you want to have Tim in anything, you have to explanin the other two Robins, and not just for continuity, but it adds alot to his character, his motivation and his views on what Robin should be to batman, and also how he differers from the other two, thats just my own personal reasoning on why they don't use him, but he is my favorite Robin and would love to see him in something, was actually pretty pissed when i found out Dick and Wally were gona appear in young justice and not Tim and Bart especially with Kon appearing, wanted those three to appear, their like more then best friends, each one growing up in a heroes world under the shadow of three of the greatest heroes "
pretty much just what you said...you really can't have Tim without having Dick and Jason first....as for Young Justice...I was kind of upset to but it just makes sense after you think about it and we have to remember that this isn't a direct adaptation of the Young Justice comic book...all they're using is the name...everyone needs to remember that the Teen Titans animated series had only one of the original members of the Teen Titans as a member and that was Dick....it would be really hard for any animated series to be a direct adaptation especially one about the Teen Titans or Young Justice...these characters are mostly second and third generation heroes so you need the public to have  some sort of knowledge of their mentors and predecessors
#6 Edited by mistersarcastic (324 posts) - - Show Bio
@Telcalipoca: @Deranged Midget:  I guess you two are right. I suppose even with his own ongoing title he still isn't AS well known as Dick (because he was the first...woopty-tah -__-) or Jason because of the whole death thing. But...at least fans aren't voting for Tim's death, that's a plus at least lol. As for Damian being the poster child of Batman universe, possibly. 

@RedK: @danhimself:  Ahh, that too makes sense. Tim's Robin...well Tim in general seems to be a mixture of several other Bat Family characters, or his mentality is. He's got the leaderships skills of Grayson, knows when to be aggressive like Todd, etc etc. I guess that would be a lot of explaining, but it would be well worth it gosh darnit lol! As for Young Justice, I forgot they said it was supposed to be a mixture of the DC Universe. Who knows, maybe sometime soon or later we'll get Drake in an animated film or show, even if it's a small cameo.
#7 Posted by Telcalipoca (957 posts) - - Show Bio

.....i didnt know the robin in young justice wasnt tim. i feel you now man. 

#8 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@mistersarcastic:  another thing with using him as Robin is that cause Dick was the first everyone and their grandfather knows him as Robin becasue of the adam west TV show, most people don't even know their is more then one Robin.

and as for the Robin in young justice, i was disappointed that it wasn't Tim but after watching the first two episodes, i really like this one, especially the voice actor,
#9 Edited by mistersarcastic (324 posts) - - Show Bio
Yeah, it's Dick Grayson, but you'd think it was Tim considering that Robin is so tech-savy. They might as well labeled him Tim then, but whatever. Now I'm beginning to think they amalgamated Dick, Jason, and Tim seeing as that Robin is also impatient to a degree, but I won't say reckless. 

@RedK:   I forgot about the old tv series. But I'm pretty sure grandparents aren't watching Teen Titans and Young Justice...well then again, maybe they are. My friend's grandfather still watches cartoons like that.
#10 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio
@mistersarcastic: I wasn't too pleased either when I found out that Robin in Young Justice is actually Dick. That must mean The Flash is Barry, since they're going with Wally as Kid Flash. How many episodes are there so far? I've only seen one.
#11 Posted by superboyrocks13 (1089 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget:
only one episode so far more epidodes come in janurraey every friday
#12 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget:  theirs two episodes out since november but they merged the first two into an hour long special, and as superboyrocks13 said their'll be more in january satrting on the 7th
#13 Posted by comkid100 (244 posts) - - Show Bio

What if DC did a Batman movie about the origin of Tim Drake and how he became Robin, they could mention Jason's death and show what happaned inbetween his death and ressurection, plus if they kept nightwing in the movie the fans would know about Dicks 'transformation'.
#14 Posted by mistersarcastic (324 posts) - - Show Bio
@comkid100 said:
" What if DC did a Batman movie about the origin of Tim Drake and how he became Robin, they could mention Jason's death and show what happaned inbetween his death and ressurection, plus if they kept nightwing in the movie the fans would know about Dicks 'transformation'. "
I concur. It would be very simple. After all, they dedicated a movie to Jason (Under the Red Hood) so why could Tim get the same? ...I feel slow now, why didn't I mention this suggestion in my little...ranting blurb, lol. But yeah, nice thinking Comickid.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.