Red Robin New 52 Costume

Posted by DarkBird (104 posts) - - Show Bio

It needs a cowl if you ask me

#1 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13637 posts) - - Show Bio

No. A cowl on that would look stupid. Like one of the Vulturions........

#2 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

They should just switch it back to the way it was. Maybe leave the wing capabilities, but hide them under the cape.

#3 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like the new costume, it makes him look slightly younger.

#4 Edited by noshooty (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Slightly younger, and super less badass. The cowl was way better. It was intimidating. They should have just made a few touch ups to the old costume to make it look less like Dr Midnite and they would have been fine. How is Tim supposed to sneak up on you from the shadows in that horrible costume?

Also...he doesn't use his Bo Staff anymore.

Also, his new origin story is going to suck.

Also, he's whiny and not as confident.

They are ruining him.

#5 Posted by The_Tree (7951 posts) - - Show Bio

@noshooty said:

Slightly younger, and super less badass. The cowl was way better. It was intimidating. They should have just made a few touch ups to the old costume to make it look less like Dr Midnite and they would have been fine. How is Tim supposed to sneak up on you from the shadows in that horrible costume?

They are ruining him.

I agree. We need him back to being like this:

#6 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@noshooty said:

They are ruining him.

Who illustrated that drawing? was it Ross?

#7 Posted by The_Tree (7951 posts) - - Show Bio

@SavageDragon said:

@The_Tree said:

@noshooty said:

They are ruining him.

Who illustrated that drawing? was it Ross?

Nope, JG Jones.

#8 Posted by noshooty (9 posts) - - Show Bio

That drawing should have a text bubble with Tim yelling "Americaaaa!"

#9 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@noshooty said:

They are ruining him.

Agreed

#10 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though the new 52 Red Robin looks like the Falcon's estranged younger brother, it is a HUGE step up from the outfit he wore before. I really don't like the old one, and hope he never uses it again.

#11 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

I like, but I hate the metallic cape thing going on.

#12 Posted by BatWatch (3038 posts) - - Show Bio

It needs to look more Bruce Wayne and less Tony Stark. I really liked the pre-Flashpoint costume though I did need some time for it to grow on me. I no longer hate the New 52 costume, but I still heavily dislike it. I hate that he can fly. Hate, hate, hate.

#13 Posted by Jawshco (244 posts) - - Show Bio

I second the suggestion of bringing back some form of the original Red Robin costume. They've got to ditch that awful Falcon-lite get up he's currently in, and get him a better alias too! I want to read about time without thinking about a hamburger restaurant. Even Red Bird would be better. Or have him be the new Gray Ghost or something.

#14 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it. Hate the cape.

I prefer the old costume more.

#15 Posted by TDK_1997 (15075 posts) - - Show Bio

His new costume sucks.The old Red Robin costume was awesome.

#16 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2215 posts) - - Show Bio

He just needs a real cape and a mask like his Unternet suit. Domino masks need to go away forever.

#17 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

Both of his costumes look a bit silly..

#18 Posted by jpblair88 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

The main problem with the New 52 version of Tim is that he has been taken largely out of the Bat-Family. sure there have been covers with him and a few appearances in Batman and Robin but he has no substantive appearances in Gotham his home town. While Teen Titans has gotten somewhat better than when it first started it is still lackign something i cant quite put my fingers on. the costume still sucks but i could honestly live with it if he just had his own book based out of Gotham or had some closer Bat-related contact. It just feels like they said "too many heroes in Gotham, just put Drake somewhere else".

#19 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

At least he can't be called "Condom-Man" any more :D

#20 Edited by Jawshco (244 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedOwl_1: I used to have a first (and probably only) edition of the Incredible Condom-man. Ha! Can't remember what I did with it. He was a funny Spider-man like character that swings from buildings using suction based condom ropes. It was the kind of comic that gave me a few chuckles the first time I read it, but I never really wanted to read it after that.

#21 Posted by Powerzone789 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@noshooty said:

They are ruining him.

this indeed

#22 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't like the metallic cape thing.

#23 Posted by Powerzone789 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@noshooty said:

They are ruining him.

this indeed

#24 Posted by venomyak (1436 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim Drake is escaping a nuke on a motorcycle:

YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID.

#25 Posted by BlueArrow (256 posts) - - Show Bio

Who else actually does not mind the new costume?

#26 Edited by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like either of the Red Robin costumes. The first one seemed like "Dr Mid-Nite Jr" and the new one had too many thin straps, no central logo, and I don't like the wings. And he hasn't even really used the wings because he can't fight and fly at the same time. A cape that lets him glide and the grapple gun serve just as well as the wings do--for travel between skirmishes.

His best costume, IMO, is his black-and-red Robin costume:

And I didn't mind the Unternet suit either:

--which was like a fusion of the old Nightwing costume (but in red) and the Red Robin costume.

I'm also a fan of the helm on these Project Rooftop Robin designs:

I like the above examples because they show how an actual helm is better than the weird cowl on the Dr. Mid-Nite suit.

And of course, the Young Justice animated design is great:

I'm always impressed with the designs on that show.

#27 Posted by Batmandemon23 (138 posts) - - Show Bio

hell, even Brett Booth doesn't like the wings that much, and likes Tim wearing a cape. On a side note, i really hate the name, red robin and wish he become the new gray ghost (though the story i came up with to make him the gray ghost involves him faking his death and Stephanie brown becoming red x)

#28 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio
Tim Drake as Red Robin redesigned
#29 Posted by Freddy_F_Freeman (47 posts) - - Show Bio

i like the new costume, i agree that he should still have the bowstaff but the wings are a nice touch and he doesnt look like a young doctor midnite anymore, plus it looks better without a cowl

#30 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally think the wings are an awful and unneeded touch. The cowl being gone I don't mind however.

#31 Posted by darth_jones (110 posts) - - Show Bio

The wings are stupid, which I think even the creative team agrees with. But ugh, all the straps and pouches and the stupid red design thing on his costume? No. The costume is pretty rough.

There was a cool redesign posted a few weeks ago that I liked.

#32 Posted by Dernman (15738 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the wings at all but I'm glad there isn't a cowl covering his head.

#33 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1667 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: He was great with that suit! I miss it a lot!

#34 Posted by Backflip (2239 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

I'm also a fan of the helm on these Project Rooftop Robin designs:

Definitely the best redesign for Robin I've ever seen. Would be a perfect costume for Tim

#35 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13637 posts) - - Show Bio

@darth_jones said:

The wings are stupid, which I think even the creative team agrees with. But ugh, all the straps and pouches and the stupid red design thing on his costume? No. The costume is pretty rough.

There was a cool redesign posted a few weeks ago that I liked.

apparently Lobdell INSISTED on the wings even though Booth wanted the cape.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.