Origin Change

#1 Edited by BlackArmor (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

TEEN TITANS #0

Written by SCOTT LOBDELL

Art by TYLER KIRKHAM and BATT

Cover by BRETT BOOTH and NORM RAPMUND

1:25 B&W Variant cover by BRETT BOOTH

On sale SEPTEMBER 26 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

• Focusing on the origin of Tim Drake; how a would be Olympic star and computer genius went on to become Batman’s third Robin.

• Plus: The beginnings of Skitter and Bunker\

discuss.....or whatever

#2 Posted by josai21 (66 posts) - - Show Bio

"Written by Scott Lobdell"

This writer ruined the Teen Titans for me. Get someone who knows the characters to write this. I will admit I may pick this up just to know what is going on, but please DC, get rid of Lobdell!

#3 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12854 posts) - - Show Bio

Say what?!? I dont know what to make of this......

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12669 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would they do that.......

#5 Posted by Mercy_ (92674 posts) - - Show Bio

O_o hrrrm

#6 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind him being a Computer Genius. But the rest?

#7 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@josai21 said:

"Written by Scott Lobdell"

This writer ruined the Teen Titans for me. Get someone who knows the characters to write this. I will admit I may pick this up just to know what is going on, but please DC, get rid of Lobdell!

This is a reboot, he doesn't need to "know" anything
#8 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I don't know.

#9 Posted by danhimself (22443 posts) - - Show Bio

nothing from the old DC Universe is sacred anymore...there's no point in getting upset about them changing things that you thought weren't changed because they've made it so that there is no firm back story for anyone and because of that they can change and add things whenever they want to

#10 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Neat.

#11 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh. This really sucks, but I guess--at this point--there's not really any sense in complaining.

#12 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

No! the best part of Tim Drake was his Everyman origins. It was as if I could become Robin if I was smart and determined enough. Now they are going to go and make him Olympic caliber pre-Robin? I refuse this... I refuse this with all my will

#13 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

D.C: You don't like the changes we've made? Then take it up the *ss!

#14 Posted by saturnssailor (102 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like it, but I understand why they're doing it. Superheroes have been around for 5 years and Batman has had 4 Robins. That means that Tim was probably only Robin for about a year and just became Red Robin. Now they need an excuse as to why he's already such a good fighter..... ooh! Let's make it that he was really athletic and talented before he became Robin! How about making him "a would be Olympic star"?

I don't like, but then again I don't like change. This might be interesting though. Before the reboot Tim's parents were pretty much absent when he was growing up and he was left to his own devices. If they make it that if he hadn't become Robin he would have been an Olympic star then that means that he has had trainers, coaches and etc. It also makes the home schooled thing make sense. Growing up he probably didn't have a lot of free time to do things other than practice his sport. I really hope that he still used whatever free time he had to stalk Batman and Robin. This also brings up the question of what made him decide to become Robin (please don't let it be his parents were killed so he took up the fight for justice after catching their killers and sending them to jail. That is so overdone.) and what his trainers/coaches/parents/other-people-who-probably-wanted-him-to-go-to-the-Olympics think and know of his decision.

This could be interesting. Overall I don't like it and I hope he doesn't become a Gary-Stu, but it might not be horrible if it's done right.

#15 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

ummm...

The part of what made Tim drake different to the other Robins is that is a natural detective, respects the legend of Batman and Robin, and willing to try very hard to do what needs to be done. He's not "physically adept" like the others and he originally wasn't good with computers. This is a complete betrayal of the character.

#16 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll allow it.

#17 Posted by MadRooster81 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

I'll allow it.

agreed!

#18 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

No! the best part of Tim Drake was his Everyman origins. It was as if I could become Robin if I was smart and determined enough. Now they are going to go and make him Olympic caliber pre-Robin? I refuse this... I refuse this with all my will

Yea my thoughts exactly. He was the only robin who stood out because his origin didn't overly prepare him to be a robin

#19 Posted by BlackArmor (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

@EnSabahNurX said:

@r3d_rob1n said:

Yea my thoughts exactly. He was the only robin who stood out because his origin didn't overly prepare him to be a robin

Jason's did? He was raised by a drug addict......

#20 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor: Ya but Jason was a bit different with the whole "I'm gonna steal these tires" thing. Whereas Tim was smarter and figured out who Robin was and then deduced Batman. It's hard for most people to identify with the kid who steals from Batman (at least i hope it's hard for them to identify)

#21 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really mind that they're changing the origin. I respect Lobdell and trust that he can do a good job with this.

Honstly, Why complain about this? you haven't read it yet, I don't see anyone complaining about DC changing Bart's origin.

#22 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

@htb106: So far I haven't been a fan of Lobdell's portrayal of Tim Drake, so the reworking of his origin doesn't thrill me. As for Bart, I guess I'm not a big enough fan of the character to care.

#23 Posted by BlackArmor (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

If someone was going to rewrite his origin I wish Nicieza was writing it.

#24 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

Those Vegas showgirl wings have to go.

#25 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

@BlackArmor: Ya but Jason was a bit different with the whole "I'm gonna steal these tires" thing. Whereas Tim was smarter and figured out who Robin was and then deduced Batman. It's hard for most people to identify with the kid who steals from Batman (at least i hope it's hard for them to identify)

The thing is most people can identify more with Jason because Jason is a nobody everyman while Tim isn't. He's actually a Rich kid who is a genius, and cares about what is right rather than what benefits him or what is the most fun and not to mention he's an atheist. There are very few people on Earth that even remotely identify with that because they are not that person and don't even have half those qualities, while Jason is just an orphan who's not particularly smart, strong, nor have much drive. He is just trying to live, and he saw an opportunity and took it, and then when he was more or less forced to be something he is took vengeance on those he decided were doing wrong without care for what is right or wrong. That's what most people are.

#26 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@saturnssailor said:

I don't like it, but I understand why they're doing it. Superheroes have been around for 5 years and Batman has had 4 Robins. That means that Tim was probably only Robin for about a year and just became Red Robin. Now they need an excuse as to why he's already such a good fighter..... ooh! Let's make it that he was really athletic and talented before he became Robin! How about making him "a would be Olympic star"?

I don't like, but then again I don't like change. This might be interesting though. Before the reboot Tim's parents were pretty much absent when he was growing up and he was left to his own devices. If they make it that if he hadn't become Robin he would have been an Olympic star then that means that he has had trainers, coaches and etc. It also makes the home schooled thing make sense. Growing up he probably didn't have a lot of free time to do things other than practice his sport. I really hope that he still used whatever free time he had to stalk Batman and Robin. This also brings up the question of what made him decide to become Robin (please don't let it be his parents were killed so he took up the fight for justice after catching their killers and sending them to jail. That is so overdone.) and what his trainers/coaches/parents/other-people-who-probably-wanted-him-to-go-to-the-Olympics think and know of his decision.

This could be interesting. Overall I don't like it and I hope he doesn't become a Gary-Stu, but it might not be horrible if it's done right.

I agree. I dont think its neccessarilly...well, neccessary, but I can see why Tim Drake's origin needs some tweaking. Especially to condense the timeline into five years. Jason Todd said he came back from the dead a year and a half ago, and was a Robin a year before that, so Tim Drake cant have been Robin for long. Jason Todd at least has the All Caste, plus Batman.Tim Drake cant have had that much training, and having previous skills makes his fighting ability more reasonable. Again, I like his old origin, but if they can work it in and it makes sense so be it. I just hope they still keep his natural detectvie skills.

#27 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

Like the computer part... not the Olympic part. Sounds interesting, to say the least.

#28 Posted by BlackArmor (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

Like the computer part... not the Olympic part. Sounds interesting, to say the least.

I think that was most people's immediate reaction.

#29 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

Me too.

#30 Posted by Jawshco (242 posts) - - Show Bio

If character development, back story and using historical context for emotional depth is something DC doesn't find valuable- then by all means reboot all character history to fit a narrow sighted revamp. Sounds to me like they've painted themselves into a corner with the new 52 timeline and feel they have to fix it. I for one would rather that they didn't fix it. I don't care if it makes sense with the new 52 continuity because I have far less ties to it and base most of my thoughts regarding the titles on the pre-new52 comics that came before them.

#31 Posted by Jawshco (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogue_mar1e said:

Ha! What you don't like him looking like the white Falcon?

#32 Posted by BlackArmor (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogue_mar1e said:

perhaps Vegas showgirls are involved with his new origin

#33 Posted by The_Tree (7250 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85 said:

@BlackArmor said:

Me too.

Me three.

#34 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14594 posts) - - Show Bio

let's see hot this goes....

#35 Posted by BatWatch (2565 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, color me ticked off.

I love Tim's origin. I hate the origin they introduced. I cI\ould expand, but why bother?

**** you DC. I'm considering dumping all your ongoing and just sticking to stories between COIE and Flashpoint.

Perhaps I could be less ticked about the reboot if they were making good changes, but everything I have seen has been either negative or unnecessary.

#36 Posted by Comiclove5 (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

@cjbostick81 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

I'll allow it.

agreed!

I concur.

#37 Posted by RedRobin183 (24 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedRobin183 said:

Okay so apparently... Tim was never Robin in the DCnU.

Nice article. The last paragraph was hysterical. Inb4 the sh*tstorm that rabid unchangables will spew inevitably.

#39 Posted by IIDEADxPOOLII (1414 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11303 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12854 posts) - - Show Bio

..........never Robin.........T.T

#42 Edited by richardjohngrayson (421 posts) - - Show Bio

This sucks 10 bags of d**ks.

#43 Posted by geekjosh (4 posts) - - Show Bio

So here's a small update from Scott Lobdell via twitter. https://twitter.com/ScottyLobdell/statuses/225122759284490240 Still doesn't come out and say that he was a Robin. Could imply that while he was still Batman's sidekick...he was still never a Robin. Just Red Robin. So...yeah.

#44 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

• Focusing on the origin of Tim Drake; how a would be Olympic star and computer genius went on to become Batman’s third Robin.

Too bad he isn't going to be the "third Robin". Damian is apparently now the "third Robin." http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/timdrakewasrobin/

#45 Posted by BlackArmor (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekjosh said:

So here's a small update from Scott Lobdell via twitter. https://twitter.com/ScottyLobdell/statuses/225122759284490240 Still doesn't come out and say that he was a Robin. Could imply that while he was still Batman's sidekick...he was still never a Robin. Just Red Robin. So...yeah.

Thanks for the update.......I think that's an update, I'm not completely sure

#46 Posted by vernierhawk001 (534 posts) - - Show Bio

Olympic athlete? So.....does that now put him on par with/above Dick? If so x_x

#47 Posted by BlackArmor (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't read the issue myself yet but this seems like the perfect time to bump this

#48 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@vernierhawk001 said:

Olympic athlete? So.....does that now put him on par with/above Dick? If so x_x

Babs trained to be an olympic athlete as well, but she isn't better than Grayson (right?). Tim is good, but to be as good as a guy who has been solely trained to be a gymnast by parents who were life-long gymnasts is unlikely.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.