Follow

Tim Drake

Character » Tim Drake appears in 3329 issues.

At the age of nine, Timothy Drake cleverly deduced the identities of Batman and Robin. Four years later, after the death of Jason Todd, Tim convinced Batman that he should be the new Robin. He would later become leader of Young Justice.

Is it really that big a deal?

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By htb106

Tim changing his name to Red Robin instead of Robin, it's one word, he's hardly changed his name.

He has the same Robin costume, he still helps Batman but he's just added Red to his name.

I'm a big Tim Drake fan but I really don't mind this cahnge.

But what does everybody else think?

spectre108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By spectre108

I don't really think it's a huge deal, either. I think why people are ticked is because the Robin name is sort of like a legacy (or somethin' like that) and everyone felt the legacy was pooped on. Don't take me up on that though, I could be dead wrong.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Yes, it does. And the fact that I actually have to explain why is freaking depressing.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SupBatz

I'm not the biggest fan of Tim in general but I'm not a fan of the name change at all. It's completely unnecessary and it does (slightly) take away from the "legacy" aspect as well as some of what made Tim's original origin so great.

It's not too big of a deal but it does leave me wondering, "What was the point? It doesn't particularly benefit the new story in any way and it really just takes away from some of the more conceptual aspects of Tim's time as Robin."

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By TDK_1997

I don't like the idea that Batman didn't need a Robin at all(in the Nightwing book) and I am against the fact that Tim was never called Robin.

FatesGambler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FatesGambler

I don't get the point either, if anything it shows that he respected the name Robin

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By cameron83

the fact that all of you think it changes anything is freaking depressing and ridiculous.

IT is one word.please,just ignore it.Maybe he didn't want disrespect for the one who previously died.Makes more sense than Jason todd dying and batman (apparently) cares (cares so much that he gets a robin 5 seconds later,and great respect tim,taking the mantle robin in less than 5 seconds,no wonder jason todd is pissed).

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By _Black

I don't think the name change should be that big of a deal. I can understand some people's disdain for the change, but I'm okay with it, especially considering some characters haven't even shown up in the New52.

The whole parents change is a HUGE deal though.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cameron83

@_Black: I agree mostly.

the parents thing is a big deal.But i don't see it in a negative way.I can understand how fans can get a little upset with this.But personally,i never really liked tim drake in the past.He just wan't unique at all.Just like all the others.I just hated how almost every hero in dc was an orphan.I would've switched to marvel

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By _Black

@cameron83: I didn't mean to imply that it was a negative change. Well to be fair, Tim didn't start out as an orphan. I thought the murder of Tim's father in Identity Crisis was a huge and great point for the character. But the purpose of the New52 is for DC to tell new stories so that is what they can do with this change.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@cameron83 said:

the fact that all of you think it changes anything is freaking depressing and ridiculous.

IT is one word.please,just ignore it.Maybe he didn't want disrespect for the one who previously died.Makes more sense than Jason todd dying and batman (apparently) cares (cares so much that he gets a robin 5 seconds later,and great respect tim,taking the mantle robin in less than 5 seconds,no wonder jason todd is pissed).

Not when you actually use your brain

look at it this way einstein

Tim always being Red Robin is crap because it negates the very thing that made the Red Robin persona special. It was To Tim what Nightwing is to Dick and what Red Hood is to Jason. It was Tim's ultimate expression, him finally utilizing his full potential following a path that walked the thin line between hero and anti-hero. With Tim immediately taking that mantle, it removes most if not all the gravity behind it. The explanation of Tim taking it to "set himself apart" is crap because Tim was always light years apart from them. One of Tim's saving graces was that he was the slightly stiff sweetheart of the Robins, now he's an obnoxious dick measuring tool who wants to be Robin to make himself feel better. He was the smart one with a non tragic past who became Robin not because someone killed his mommy and daddy but because it was the right thing to do, because Batman needed him but didn't want to admit it. He also had way more leeway than the other Robin's, taking on his own missions he had his own Rogues gallery!?! Something Dick didn't gain until After he became Nightwing and something Jason has NEVER had. But now Lobdell's reasoning is "well, he's different because he was always Red now!!! A-hyuck, a-hyuck, a-hyuck".

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@htb106 said:

Tim changing his name to Red Robin instead of Robin, it's one word, he's hardly changed his name.

He has the same Robin costume, he still helps Batman but he's just added Red to his name.

I'm a big Tim Drake fan but I really don't mind this cahnge.

But what does everybody else think?

may i ask how much experience you had with Tim Drake before the reboot?

lilcraig92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lilcraig92

Tim Drake got a spinoff hero name, LAME lol

xtremekidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xtremekidx

i am happy about it just cause this makes tim a bit special.he just didnt succeed a role but created his own with a bit of an homage to the dead jason...

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CapFanboy

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@cameron83 said:

Not when you actually use your brain

look at it this way einstein

Tim always being Red Robin is crap because it negates the very thing that made the Red Robin persona special. It was To Tim what Nightwing is to Dick and what Red Hood is to Jason. It was Tim's ultimate expression, him finally utilizing his full potential following a path that walked the thin line between hero and anti-hero. With Tim immediately taking that mantle, it removes most if not all the gravity behind it. The explanation of Tim taking it to "set himself apart" is crap because Tim was always light years apart from them. One of Tim's saving graces was that he was the slightly stiff sweetheart of the Robins, now he's an obnoxious dick measuring tool who wants to be Robin to make himself feel better. He was the smart one with a non tragic past who became Robin not because someone killed his mommy and daddy but because it was the right thing to do, because Batman needed him but didn't want to admit it. He also had way more leeway than the other Robin's, taking on his own missions he had his own Rogues gallery!?! Something Dick didn't gain until After he became Nightwing and something Jason has NEVER had. But now Lobdell's reasoning is "well, he's different because he was always Red now!!! A-hyuck, a-hyuck, a-hyuck".

X-Bolt, have I ever told you how much I love you...actually, don't answer that...

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Capfanboy: It's ok Cappie....you don't have to say I thing. I know......I can feel it inside.

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Zdaybreak

@xtremekidx said:

i am happy about it just cause this makes tim a bit special.he just didnt succeed a role but created his own with a bit of an homage to the dead jason...

This. When Tim corrected Bruce on his new code-name and told Bruce that it was out of respect for the then-deceased Jason, I gained a lot of respect for him.

darth_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By darth_jones

@htb106: The name change isn't really what's at issue. The fact that he started as Red Robin, does take away from his character development because he didn't graduate to the role. But the new origin takes away Tim as the hope that inspired Batman, it takes away his detective skills which was always a large part of his character since he wanted to succeed Batman as the World's Greatest Detective. Tim used to be smart and careful and compassionate. Now he's a selfish tool who stole from the penguin to prove himself. It's not just the name change, it's the fact that there's a new character parading around pretending to Tim Drake. If you were a "huge Tim Drake fan" you'd understand.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By dernman

It doesn't bother me. The only problem I have is the fact it sounds dumb but then again if you think about it the Robin isn't much better.

Avatar image for iragulasuperbia
    iragulasuperbia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By iragulasuperbia

I definitely prefer having Red Robin rather than three or four Robins running around. I mean, Damian's Robin right now. What should Tim Drake be calling himself? Red Robin works just fine. Maybe they could come up with a better name, something more original, but Red Robin does have that legacy to it. I also agree with some others that he should have started out as just Robin.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#21  Edited By BatWatch

It's an unnecessary change, but that is the smallest of the changes made to Tim's history. The one that is most upsetting to me is the way he got the job. Not only did he stumble into it through incompetence, he endangered his parents' lives in the process. The current Tim Drake is arrogant, dangerous, incompetent and evil in his new origin story.

xmentas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xmentas

I like it....REDDD ROBIN, YUMMMM!

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@Avenging-X-Bolt:

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for fallen_crippled
    Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fallen_Crippled

Everytime I hear it, I cant help but to think of the restaurant or someone saying, "Red Robin...." "Yummmmmmmmmmm."

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By StrangeMan

Basically what Avenging-X-Bolt said, and the sad part is that this isn't even the worst thing about New 52 Tim...

Rabidwolfdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Rabidwolfdog

its a Pizza burger joint of course its a problem. Might at well have him fight The Hamburgler ,Grimace and Mc Tonight. Takes orders from Mayor Mccheese.

ME24601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

The fact that he was always Red Robin doesn't bother me. It's everything else about the New 52 Tim Drake that bothers me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.