Follow

Thundercats

Team » Thundercats appears in 220 issues.

The Thundercats are a group of anthropomorphic felines who fight with The Mutants in the fictional Third Earth world. They are led by Lion-O. Recently they have had books published under Wildstorm.

Will the New Thundercats Cartoon Stand Up to the Original?

• 79 results
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Green Skin
    @danhimself said:
    " @Green Skin said:
    " @FortressoftheMoon said:
    "

Oh hell now my dad and Osiris's dad is going to be bitchin how the show removed the black guy for a russian guy to be Panthro since both our dads watched the old Thundercats show.

What?  FIrst, where did you read that Panthro would be russian?  Second, how is Panthro a black guy?  They're cats dude, they do not share human skin colors or ethnicity.   Not to mention that if Pantro is supposedly black, what does that make the rest of them?  Honestly dude trying to apply race to cartoon cat people just seems ridiculous to me. "
    dude I know it sounds crazy but almost everybody says that Panthro was black "
    Apparently, lol.  I looked into it and he's universally known as the black Thundercat.  Guess I just never knew.
    Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Crazy Pan
    @Green Skin:@Green Skin said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @Green Skin said:
    "

Oh hell now my dad and Osiris's dad is going to be bitchin how the show removed the black guy for a russian guy to be Panthro since both our dads watched the old Thundercats show.

What?  FIrst, where did you read that Panthro would be russian?  Second, how is Panthro a black guy?  They're cats dude, they do not share human skin colors or ethnicity.   Not to mention that if Pantro is supposedly black, what does that make the rest of them?  Honestly dude trying to apply race to cartoon cat people just seems ridiculous to me. "
    Apparently, lol.  I looked into it and he's universally known as the black Thundercat.  Guess I just never knew. "
    Does it really even matter?
    Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
    FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Crazy pan...when you are watching it with an 61 yrd guy who just loves Panthro and his 7 yrd grandchild who thinks the old Thundercats cartoon was the shiznit despite the "Space Tacos" episode. YES!
    00 Raiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By 00 Raiser

For someone who actually own the entire series of Thundercats I think the new series will do well. Will it out shine the old one? Of course not. But I think for the new generation it will be a good memory in their heads. Im more curious about the story. From what I have seen it looks like it starts out on Third Earth which makes me wonder in simplifying it they just decided to write out the fact that the Thundercats came from Thundara. I guess we will find out.

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Green Skin
    @Crazy Pan said:
    " @Green Skin:@Green Skin said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @Green Skin said:
    "

Apparently, lol.  I looked into it and he's universally known as the black Thundercat.  Guess I just never knew. "
    Does it really even matter? "
    Does anything really matter?
    Kapwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Kapwan

For some reason Panthro's redesign reminds me of Jet from Cowboy Bebop.  I'm excieted to see what this show will be like.  Cartoon has been doing a good job with their new action shows of late.

Avatar image for ronniethunderbolts
    RonnieThunderbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whether or not the original Panthro was Black seems like a non-issue, as he isn't a Russian in the new version.

Panthro is being voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson, who is African American, just like  Earle Hyman, the original voice of Panthro.

Also, if you read any of the coverage about the panels with the shows creators from the last couple conventions, the show is set on Third Earth, and Thundera will still be destroyed, but it is not a separate planet.  Thundera is an isolated city-state of the Thundercats, cut off from the rest of Third Earth, and the show will still be about the survivors of Thundera after the community is destroyed at the show's start.  The producers have also said that Pumyra, Bengali and Lynx-O will also appear down the line.

It seems to be a show made with a lot of thought and respect to the original, and thematically true to the source material, though done uniquely.  I, and the two seven year old girls I nanny for, are looking forward to it a great deal.  Here is hoping it doesn't disappoint. 

cushman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By cushman

it looks like a sequel not a reboot

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#59  Edited By Darkmount1

@cushman:
    It is a reboot. As one fictional character (whose name escapes me) would say: deal with it.

Unless you're like Ultra Magnus, and you "can't deal with that now."

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By goldenkey

what do you mean Americans weren't customed to the Asian style of animation.  We had Voltron, Battle of the Planets (was the title) and a few others.  Remember when they had the close up of the eyes and it always looked like they were shaking?  I just hope the show is good.
    Harlekin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By Harlekin

Love how it looks and I'll probably love it but disappointed that Snarf doesn't talk.

Avatar image for lovingdamnation
    Lovingdamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By Lovingdamnation

I certainly hope so.

sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By sweatboy
    @ripcurl said:
    " Can't make a decision without seeing the new Mum-Ra. "
    trailer starts out with a picture of Mumm Ra, looks very undead and menacing. I think he looks freakier than the old one. Just a theory.@Green Skin said:  " 

i was about to say ^ this. voiced by a black guy, named after the BLACK panther (that or the florida panther because you don't say PANTHER anywhere else, but then you have Pumyra) which, you could argue is an african cat. But then what about Cheetara? And is Tygra therefore Indian? i don't think it was ever really confirmed but we all say "he's GOTTA be black!' and not without evidence. It is possible however that within the thundercats they had different types, and Lion-O's escape pod was like a Noah's Arc
    sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By sweatboy
    @inferiorego: ha ha dude you just got used! again! lol. But i really love the way you write articles! makes me laugh out loud in public places. Why would you hate the fact that it's coming back? Rankin Bass made great shows man! (any idea who's making this one? just CN?)
    GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By GREGalicious

Im really excited about the new show and though i do like the look of the original better, im sure i will enjoy this one as well.
    girth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#66  Edited By girth

I say yes. The He-man reboot was good a few years ago.

He-Man
    He-Man
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Eyz

Almost the same logo..
    Almost the same characters..
    New story, animation and plots? (well, that was a given)

You know what? It could have been worse!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By NightFang3

Both G.I.Joe and Transformers have new shows on the new Hub channel. The He-man reboot had two seasons and was only canceled because the toy-line failed.

jonasLighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By jonasLighter

Remake, reboot, re-imagining!  All signs point to a lack of originality.

Avatar image for heroic_warrior76
    heroic_warrior76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By heroic_warrior76

I'm so excited I can't tell if the original will always be the best or the new one will overshadow it but one thing's for sure I will watch this cartoon show no matter what I'm so happy "The ThunderCats" are back I hope it will last for a more than a Lifetime. 

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By NightFang3
    @jonasLighter said:
    "originality."
                 That is no such thing!
    Nic_tarik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Nic_tarik

The updated show will dance circles around the old one

Avatar image for wonder_princess
    Wonder Princess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Wonder Princess

I was a HUGE fan of Thundercats when it first ran on TV.  I loved the Annointment Trials, especially the Trial of Speed , where Lion-O had to race Cheetara.  She was always my favorite.  I hope they show her psychic powers as well as her speed on the new show.  Thundecats, HO!!!!!!
    the darknessss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By the darknessss

this looks good,a dungeon and dragons cartoon re-boot would be great,perhaps the children of the original cast go there this time.?
    X-DP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75  Edited By X-DP

Loved them since i was a kid guys, love the new style of Cheetara, but for some reasons the new style of Liono isn't so cool as he was back in the 80's..... wait and see what's happening with the series!

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#76  Edited By Trodorne
    @Girth said:
    " I say yes. The He-man reboot was good a few years ago.

He-Man
    He-Man
    "
    it was a fantastic reboot....outside of the power swords design, which i disliked very much.
    SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 9

#77  Edited By SilverZeo

I think its going to do a stand up job, like the new He-man was... before it got canceled. The only thing I am not sure of is how awesome the background music will be...

00 Raiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78  Edited By 00 Raiser
    @Trodorne:  There wasnt a single bad thing about the He-Man reboot. If anything it was way better in the original. Just physics alone made it a great show to watch.
    Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#79  Edited By Trodorne
    @00 Raiser:  too me how can you have a mechanical sword that seems to have these hidden compartments and parts the click,switch, and rotate on a sword that apparently comes from the ancient times of eternia.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.