Thundercats Returns on Cartoon Network

• 84 results
Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
 Hooooooooo!!!!

I’m actually really surprised that this hasn’t happened sooner. HE-MAN, GI JOE, TRANSFORMERS and almost every other giant of the 80s Saturday morning cartoon have come back,  several, but somehow, THUNDERCATS has been left alone. I suppose the powers that be didn’t want to disturb Lion-O’s catnap? 

I’m sorry, I’m sorry…

Silly puns aside, THUNDERCATS is coming back to TV screens next year, according to a press release Mania received from Warner Bros Animation. WBA says they’re going for “realism and [a] dynamic visual style” for the series, which should actually be pretty cool since it’ll be animated by Japanese outfit Studio4°C. They’ve already worked with WBA a number of times on projects like HALO: LEGENDS, BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS and THE ANIMATRIX (they did the “Beyond” segment about the kids finding a glitching “haunting house.”) They also did the incredible anime anthology feature, MEMORIES, so I can vouch that this series is going to have top notch animation. == TEASER ==

It’s been more than twenty years since any new THUNDERCATS cartoons have been on airways, so I’m sure some of you need a refresher or (GASP! You’ll make us feel old) introduction. The ThunderCats are noble warriors who’ve escaped from the destruction of their home-planet Thundera and their ranks include Prince Lion-O, Panthro, Cheetara and Snarf. After they crash land on the strange Third Earth, they enter into a seemingly never-ending battle with the undead sorcerer Mumm-Ra and his minions.

Actually, a simple synopsis doesn’t do the show justice. You have the watch the opener and be prepared for “Thunder! THUNDER! THUNDERCATS! HOOOOOOOO!!!” to be running in your head over and over again, for the rest of your life.  

See what I’m saying? The show’s coming to Cartoon Network next year but we’ve got this teaser poster above for you to purr over in the meantime. As you can see, they’re definitely skewing a little darker, edgier and more realistic. 

Now that the ThunderCats are loose once more, can we get working on a BRAVESTARR revival? Come on, people!

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

#1 Posted by Yaujtapool (7577 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell yeah

#2 Posted by BaronVonDredd (250 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh.
#3 Edited by Icon (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes!! I grew up on 80's cartoons and this was one of my favourites. Plus that teaser is badass. 

#4 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

meh, I always found this show to be a joke

#5 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they don't mess it up...

#6 Posted by Overlander (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Good to see the ThunderCats landing on their feet. The comics have been pretty solid over the years and the original series had some of the worst voice acting ever. . . but in an unintentionally entertaining way.
Bravestarr sucked. Silverhawks was better at the wild-west themes in space.

#7 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

what about thundar the barbarian
#8 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18853 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to love this show as a little kid :P

#9 Posted by CaptainGenisVell (297 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool , though it was up for a live-action film as well but don't think it got green lit.

#10 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

If it's gonna be like the recent He-Man cartoon series then I'm all in for this :D
#11 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio
@CaptainGenisVell said:
"Cool , though it was up for a live-action film as well but don't think it got green lit. "

Carrot Top as Lion-O ftw!
#12 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

im actually excited about this.  This was talk about 3-D movie version, or animaton over a live action movir or something a year or two back.  There was great concept art for it too.  This should be good if they can come up with more the one villian then mum ra  MUMMMMMMRAAAAA MMUUUUUURRRRAAAAAA
#13 Posted by NightFang (9976 posts) - - Show Bio

It's good to see the old cartoons come back on the air.

#14 Posted by Oluf_Von_Host_Museum (84677 posts) - - Show Bio
Panthro cant be faded. I'll be checking this out.
#15 Posted by EscoBlades (75 posts) - - Show Bio

EPIC WIN!

#16 Posted by jamdown (294 posts) - - Show Bio

Snarf snarf!!!!
#17 Posted by karrob (4279 posts) - - Show Bio
@Yaujtapool said:
" Hell yeah "
Yep!
#18 Posted by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" meh, I always found this show to be a joke "
lol me too
THUDERCATS  HOOOOWWWWWLLLLLL
#19 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

never saw this show in my life, this was the frirst time i ever saw the opening that being said everthing from the eighties always looks bad and the moderen day conter-parts are pretty cool, so I check out the new show.

#20 Posted by Roninidas (383 posts) - - Show Bio

Its about freaking time.  I wonder if they are going to try and bring back the original voice talent?
#21 Posted by Namor1987 (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

Thundercats HELL YES HOOOO
#22 Posted by SuperXAsh (509 posts) - - Show Bio

so possibly going the route of that one He-Man series we had a about five or so years back?
#23 Posted by vidmouse (11 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks like it will be going the route of Batman Gotham Knights instead. 
Hope it's good.

Can't wait to tell the wife... she's an even bigger T-cats fan than I am...

#24 Posted by MercWithaMouth2385 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm all for an animated  T- Cats show! What ever happened to the movie deal with Michael Clarke Duncan as Panthro? As for Bravestarr.... Screw that noise! I'd rather have the "Bionic 6" or "Dino Riders"!!!
#25 Posted by RavenDark (792 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember watch T-cats as a kid, and that was so long ago that only thing I remember about them is that:"...Mum-Ra LIVES!"......
I guess the heroes didn't stay memorized in my mind so  deeply....

#26 Posted by Timm (255 posts) - - Show Bio

i remember Dan Norton showing me the designs for this stuff almost 10 years ago. I just heard from CP that they were pretty much done a month ago. pretty exciting stuff.

#27 Posted by Manchine (4169 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh Lion'O that sounds to dangerous SNARF SNARF
#28 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated that show mostly because of that stupid snarffing thing

#29 Posted by MercWithaMouth2385 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, Snarf isn't that bad. About half as bad as Wiley Kit & Cat always getting lost or cat-napped! The worst part of that show was definitely those depressing robotic bears though.... god I hated those things.
#30 Posted by the darknessss (2750 posts) - - Show Bio

this is great at last!!!!!!!! a dungeons and dragons cartoon remake would really be cool.
#31 Posted by ecm1285 (92 posts) - - Show Bio

I am SOOO STOKED!

#32 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally why I brought out my Lion-O av. I love Thundercats.

#33 Posted by Yumulu (762 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet I will watch this for sure.

R.i.P. Steve Perry

#34 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

That sounds great!

#35 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they don't butcher my childhood

#36 Posted by Nionel (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, this is certainly unexpected. I'm gonna keep my eye out for this once it starts airing next year.

#37 Posted by BenjaminVeiga (2 posts) - - Show Bio

hoorayy!i loved watching the re runs as a kid,and i cant wait to see the show and if its big in my generation,also they still should bring back ronin warriors,i now the rebbot sucked but,third times the charm!.........right?

#38 Posted by Blackestnight (640 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome. 

PS go see the spoof blundercats on newgrounds.com if you haven't seen it already.

#39 Edited by Lustwish (531 posts) - - Show Bio

Now this is super kick ass news! I love that show! can't wait.
now all we need is M.A.S.K, another of my childhood favs.

#40 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this because Steve Perry died they just NOW decide to remake this? Still, this is incredible news. 
 ThunderCats - Ho!!!!!!!

#41 Posted by Preacherl2k (460 posts) - - Show Bio

This is AWESOME news Tom, I'm old enough that I don't even need a reminder - But I still have my ThunderCats T-shirt!! 

And Tom is 100% correct I still hear it my head all the time- THUNDER THUNDER THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Thank you for the news!

#42 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

FINALLY! ill watch this.
CAN THIS BE MADE INTO A MOVIE PLEASE!

#43 Posted by A-Strondinaire (370 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh the only thing i remeber about this is the theme song other than that pretty boring
#44 Posted by rasx (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@Overlander:

What about the GALAXY RANGERS? That was one of my favorite 80's cartoons. 
#45 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

AWESOME!!!!

#46 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm cool

#47 Posted by harleyquinnhawkgirl (336 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow I would love to take a look at this show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#48 Posted by eldestrisk (635 posts) - - Show Bio

Best news ever!!! =)

#49 Posted by Citizen 14 (1236 posts) - - Show Bio

Good way to end a good day.

#50 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

scared

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.