Follow

Thundercats

Team » Thundercats appears in 221 issues.

The Thundercats are a group of anthropomorphic felines who fight with The Mutants in the fictional Third Earth world. They are led by Lion-O. Recently they have had books published under Wildstorm.

GS Review: Thundercats episode 25 What Lies Above Part 1.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

The Good: This episode was definitely a step up from last weeks. Two golden things about this episode. We get the introduction of the Feliner whom Tygra is naturally gifted at piloting, and we get the modern take on Vultureman. The dialogue between all the characters was well done. The first part of the season finale isn't as heavy as the first or mid season finale was (whichever you take it as) but we get some funny moments with Panthro and learn he is afraid of heights. I like that Pumyra is the b*tch of the group and she really trashes Lion-O despite being a couple now. They are really two opposites while Cheetara and Tygra connect pretty well. Pumyra also showed why she is such a bada$$. Taking out a group of guards on her own then taking the King or leader of the Vultures hostage. We get some good moments from Tygra as well since he was treated like dirt (despite in hilarious fashion) the past 2 episodes.

The Bad: I can't really complain about the episode really. The only reason I would rate this episode lower than I normally would was because for the season finale, there was no build up. When they got the Spirit Stone they spent 3-4 episodes episodes getting it. This one they jumped right into getting the tech stone. Other than that, solid all the way through.

Score: 8.5/10.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

I liked it. very good, intense episode

I don't know if it was coincidence or not but the 80's episode that debuted the "Feliner" also prominently featured Vultureman as the antagonist.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@cattlebattle: They probably did it on purpose. The show's episodes are well thought out when referencing the old stuff.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cattlebattle
    @god_spawn said:

@cattlebattle: They probably did it on purpose. The show's episodes are well thought out when referencing the old stuff.

Its probably because I haven't seen the original show in about 500 years, but that was the only thing I caught LOL, I would really like to go back and watch the old one and see what similarities occur

I noticed all the jumping and acrobatics followed by the Eye of Thundera blast Lion-O did in "Recipe for Disaster" was identical to what he does in the opening of the old cartoon
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@cattlebattle:

I noticed all the jumping and acrobatics followed by the Eye of Thundera blast Lion-O did in "Recipe for Disaster" was identical to what he does in the opening of the old cartoon

I noticed that too lol. I even rewound it and was like, "hah, awesome."

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle
    @god_spawn said:

@cattlebattle:

I noticed that too lol. I even rewound it and was like, "hah, awesome."

it was awesome.....I also remembered that the original first six episodes had Lion-O going through trials with the individual Thundercats...he did this same thing when he died a couple of episodes back...I guess I remember more than I  originally thought

Also, Tygra was effected by the Love Potion which was funny as he was addicted to drugs in a couple of old episodes I remember also
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@cattlebattle: I also saw Snow-Meow in the episode with the Berbils. Also Tygra on the love potion was probably the best thing I have seen on either show. I was crying laughing so hard when he wanted to hug Mumm-Ra. It shows he can take a beating though, the characters in the show are ridiculously durable.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle
    @god_spawn said:

@cattlebattle: I also saw Snow-Meow in the episode with the Berbils. Also Tygra on the love potion was probably the best thing I have seen on either show. I was crying laughing so hard when he wanted to hug Mumm-Ra. It shows he can take a beating though, the characters in the show are ridiculously durable.

Yeah, I recall Snow Meow was part of a black market or something. I remember. Yeah, Tygra was addicted to drugs in one of the older episodes I remember him telling Lion-O he was flying or something LOL

I hadn't really noticed their durability, I guess characters in action oriented cartoons always have ridiculous physical feats
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@cattlebattle: Well considering Addicus is probably Panthro level and Tygra took a shot from Slithe with his rifle, thrown off a ship, then pounded on by both Addicus and Jackalman then got up to fight immediately was impressive on his part. So was getting hit by godzilla Mumm-Ra considering he was wrecking small canyon sides.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cattlebattle
    @god_spawn said:

@cattlebattle: Well considering Addicus is probably Panthro level and Tygra took a shot from Slithe with his rifle, thrown off a ship, then pounded on by both Addicus and Jackalman then got up to fight immediately was impressive on his part. So was getting hit by godzilla Mumm-Ra considering he was wrecking small canyon sides.

Lion O seems to have almost died several times....In fact, he did actually die
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@cattlebattle: LOL. All the characters have some great feats. Cheetara's faster than her old incarnation IMO and is stronger and doesn't tire like the old one did. Tygra's an awesome fighter and really durable. Panthro is pretty strong with those new arms and his durable taking hits to face from Grune's spike mace or his own arms when out of control considering they smash a fist deep crater in the ground without effort. Lion-O's pretty balanced IMO. He has decent strength feats, good agility and reflex feats and is getting smarter so he isn't making his same dumb mistakes anymore.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cattlebattle
    @god_spawn said:

@cattlebattle: LOL. All the characters have some great feats. Cheetara's faster than her old incarnation IMO and is stronger and doesn't tire like the old one did. Tygra's an awesome fighter and really durable. Panthro is pretty strong with those new arms and his durable taking hits to face from Grune's spike mace or his own arms when out of control considering they smash a fist deep crater in the ground without effort. Lion-O's pretty balanced IMO. He has decent strength feats, good agility and reflex feats and is getting smarter so he isn't making his same dumb mistakes anymore.

Yeah, I guess I really don't pay attention to that sort of stuff, I guess I do when its easier to pay attention to like when its just single hero like Spider-Man or something but in action cartoons with teams this kind of gets lost, due to varying threats.
    abeyance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By abeyance

@cattlebattle:

I just watched the old intro cartoon and you're totally right lol. Throwbacks to the old series are always welcome I wonder if they will introduce the Lunataks and the Berserkers both groups were more menacing than the mutants of Plundarr. I also like how Pumyra is aggressive and headstrong regarding matters. I mean she has a lot of angry that isn't going to go away with a few sweet actions from Lion-o. She spent months fighting for her life, she's battle hardened. Personally I don't think Lion-o and Pumyra will last after this incident. Luckily Wilykit and Wilykat are free, they might go find Soulsever who seems to be on their side now but don't quote me on that (he's the only one that can help them since he can manipulate technology)

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

AWEsome !

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I still have to catch up, I'm a few episodes behind.

Jackalman's name in the new series is Kaynar if you didn't know. Just like Monkian is changed to Addicus. I'm noticing a big trend in the new series with complete animal races (where we didn't see much of that in the old ones)., so I actually don't think these guys are Monkian and Jackalman, just homages to them being from the same race. The new guys are way more brutal, and Addicus is no idiot and Kaynar is no coward, like Monkian and Jackalman were. I'm enjoying seeing them though, that's for sure.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@jloneblackheart: I know they weren't under the same name. I've seen every episode so far lol. I wish we could have seen more of them tbh. We had a strong intro with Addicus and Kaynar but then it seemed to fizzle and then they sort of get their jobber status back.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.