The Power To Kill? Inspired By Death Note

Posted by TheAcidSkull (18344 posts) - - Show Bio

Why Daniel Way's "Thunderbotls" Is terrible.

When It came out, i wasn't excited, at all, but considering the fact that some terrible writers, who i have hated managed to do a good job ( thor God of thunder is an example for this) when they started fresh, i gave way a chance, but that was the biggest mistake i have made in one week , and thats saying a lot. Way has no idea what he is doing, the story feels like it is written by a 3 year old. He doesn't understand the characters, even deadpool, who he has written for a long time seems off to me.

His agent Flash is a complete disgrace to the character, rick remmender, despite his faults, and Cullen Bunn managed to craft an original, sympathetic character , who stood out from the others, and became interesting after a VERY VERY long damn time. but that doesn't matter to way! why should it? he knows best right? no not really. His venom seems like a completely different person entirely, in fact, despite his experience, acts like a complete idiot.

And don't get me started on Red Hulk . General Thunderbolt Ross was one of my personal favorites, even when he became the red Hulk, he managed to find his path under the pen of the talented writer Jeff parker, and he became a hero, a man rather than a monster. he was a Soldier, and tried to correct his mistakes. But WAY decided that none of that matters, because he knows best. Ross is acting completely out of character, he has some superiority complex and is a complete arse. Now i know the fact that general thunderbolt ross is somewhat a jerk, but in no way is he a murders robot who thinks he knows best, he is supposed to be a great leader, which kinda falls flat when the battle plan sucks. Even in the following preview of thunderbolts 7, Ross says something thats completely out of character , In now way should he EVER, EVER ! say something like:"

F*ck Are You kidding me?

yeah.....

Anyways, i'd like to vouch for Elektra and Punisher, but i don't understand their character ( so I'll leave it up to the awesome duo @lykopis And @sc) so i can't really say much, though i'm sure as hell when i say that the E+P relationship is the worst idea in the universe, these two are nothing alike and the kemistry isn't even well developed, and deadpool likes elektra now? Deadpool Vs Elektra + Punisher? Worst love triangle ever.

No! JUST....NOO!

And now comes the best part! in just 3 issues way man.....no, in fact in ONE isssue, Way managed to completely destroy one of hulks greatest hulk villains, the Leader. the Leader used to be an interesting, arrogant , antithesis to the Hulk . The concept of Brain Vs Brawn was always interesting and he became even more cooler under paks , bill mantlos and davids pen. He has posed a challenge for the the avengers, and the world in general, and right now, he has become a pitiful disgrace of a villain, or even a character. first of, he became red, second of, his intelligence was limited by Way, you know, because he though it'd be a good idea, and as we all know he knows best. and Third of all, he has No spine, he is a weak sniveling rat who can barely talk let alone pose a threat.

Now only that, but Way also destroyed madman ,a great hulk villain mind you, in the most horrible way possible( his head explodes because way knows best yet gain), he was supposed to be the villain of the book/arc, but some how he came up for a few panels, roared and died, GENIUS!

But thats not the end of it , ways stretched out a plot for 6 issues that could gave been solved in ONE issue, While he has everyone acting like idiots. Deadpool alone could have easily taken on the soldiers, and add the fact that Venom and Red hulk are on the team as well kinda increases the possibility of Wining don't you think?

This was absolutely terrible, i stopped paying for this after issue two, and read the rest online just to tell you how much it sucks , and don't pick this up no matter what.

#1 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3487 posts) - - Show Bio

He writes Deadpool good, but not as good as he did on the solo (think it's due to not having voices any more). He also doesn't do a terrible job of the Punisher or Elektra as they're both very emotionless in his writing, but at times a little too much. I agree with the rest you said (I dropped the series after issue 3) and although I liked Way's work on Daken, Wolverine Origins (although it was a bit inconsistent) and Deadpool what I've read of this series has been atrocious, although I may still get the remaining 3 issues of the first story for the sake of having the entire story.

#2 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18344 posts) - - Show Bio

He writes Deadpool good, but not as good as he did on the solo (think it's due to not having voices any more). He also doesn't do a terrible job of the Punisher or Elektra as they're both very emotionless in his writing, but at times a little too much. I agree with the rest you said (I dropped the series after issue 3) and although I liked Way's work on Daken, Wolverine Origins (although it was a bit inconsistent) and Deadpool what I've read of this series has been atrocious, although I may still get the remaining 3 issues of the first story for the sake of having the entire story.

I'll only pick it up after issue 14

#3 Edited by johnkmccubbin91 (3487 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18344 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Edited by johnkmccubbin91 (3487 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I may try it then myself. Also noticed that it appears to be an Infinity tie-in. Also noticed is it the same writer as Swamp Thing?

#6 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18344 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I may try it then myself. Also noticed that it appears to be an Infinity tie-in. Also noticed is it the same writer as Swamp Thing?

yes, Charles sloule will be taking over :), i'll give him a chance .

#7 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3487 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: His first issue of Swamp Thing was good so I'll also probably give him a chance as I was hoping Thunderbolts would be good as it's the only thing Punisher's in now.

#8 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18344 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: His first issue of Swamp Thing was good so I'll also probably give him a chance as I was hoping Thunderbolts would be good as it's the only thing Punisher's in now.

lets hope it turns out to be good :P

#9 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3487 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by SC (13299 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh this blog is great, I will post a proper reply in a moment, I didn't get notification for it, but great breakdown on why this series is a disappointment.

#11 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, hey - I didn't get notification for this either --- grrrr....

I don't want to start a debate about Elektra's characterization, but I am confident in stating this isn't her. While I do appreciate the dialogue -- this whole love triangle -- just her getting it on with Frank as though blood and killing gets her off ---

No.

Just no.

Being part of a team is not her shtick -- at all -- and while I could see her working for Red Hulk, working as a team with these other characters?

No.

I do appreciate she is holding her own and of course her being a woman can't be overlooked with Deadpool hanging around but really? Straightaway, let's get it on -- **cue sexah music**

No.

Just no.

I would claim the same of Frank but I'm not the biggest of Punisher's fans. While I was excited to see Elektra be pulled back up -- having her be the token tough b*tch of the group while servicing one in the wham bam department is enough to have me want her back in limbo.

Oh -- and let's get more Venom action? It's annoying how the focus seems to be on three characters for the three-way action, another for being the leader and nothing left for Venom except getting the job done.

:/

#12 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18344 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Hey, hey - I didn't get notification for this either --- grrrr....

I don't want to start a debate about Elektra's characterization, but I am confident in stating this isn't her. While I do appreciate the dialogue -- this whole love triangle -- just her getting it on with Frank as though blood and killing gets her off ---

No.

Just no.

Being part of a team is not her shtick -- at all -- and while I could see her working for Red Hulk, working as a team with these other characters?

No.

I do appreciate she is holding her own and of course her being a woman can't be overlooked with Deadpool hanging around but really? Straightaway, let's get it on -- **cue sexah music**

No.

Just no.

I would claim the same of Frank but I'm not the biggest of Punisher's fans. While I was excited to see Elektra be pulled back up -- having her be the token tough b*tch of the group while servicing one in the wham bam department is enough to have me want her back in limbo.

Oh -- and let's get more Venom action? It's annoying how the focus seems to be on three characters for the three-way action, another for being the leader and nothing left for Venom except getting the job done.

:/

THANK YOU! i was waiting for This a long time lol :D, awesome!

HOWEVER! charles soul will be taking over, hopefully he will make this series good, he starts from issue 14 as i know :P

#13 Posted by ogg927 (139 posts) - - Show Bio

Thunderbolts 1-6 was bad. I never heard of Daniel Way nor Steve Dillon before this book came out? I came back to comics because of Red Hulk, I loved both Loeb and Parker's run. I've been a fan of Elektra and Punisher for years and I loved Venom's Circle of Four. Daniel Way had made mistakes, but I think it got better with Thunderbolts 7. Phil Noto's art with GURU eFX's colors are incredible, and Daniel Way wrote a much better script then the first story arc. I'm curious to see what the new creative team will do.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.