Follow

Thunderbolts

Team » Thunderbolts appears in 732 issues.

The Thunderbolts went through many evolutions: Baron Zemo's plan for world domination, a superhero team comprised of super-villains seeking redemption, Norman Osborn's personal hit squad, a government-sponsored prison reform project, and more. What they had in common was a roster that was always made of supervillains and anti-heroes willing to cross the lines other heroic teams wouldn't.

Questions about the Thunderbolts?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Ok so i recently have heard that Thunderbolts is ending. I was planning to actually get into the book but was trade waiting a bit. In listening to others and from what Ive read on these forums the current iteration of the Thunderbolts is not the best to get into although some say it is pretty good. I do plan on going back reading some of the old stuff to get a good sense though i would like to know what stories are the best and would give the best perspective on the team, since collecting everything could get quite expensive. I've only read a few things with Songbird, who I happen to like. Personally, just from some of what I've read thru the history of the team and looking at the current roster im not sure it really fits. It just seems as if the current roster is filled with some relatively big names but it's a bit different from what Thunderbolts was meant to be. So I guess i have multiple questions here?

First off, what really is the premise or mission statement for the Thunderbolts team? It seems that its changed a couple times but really whats the best? Some description of the team seem to kind of put them on the same level with DC's Suicide Squad but is that accurate? So far I've been able to come up with the superhero/villain reform idea, and then there was the hit squad idea. Which is the best?

Second, Can the Thunderbolts co-exist in a Marvel u with the Secret Avengers? Or is it a bit of redundancy there? I mean the Secret Avengers are black-ops and it seems that the Thunderbolts are filling that role as well. Maybe I'm just dumbing it down with that description but both seem to be kind of run by the government (SHIELD)and both are doing things that the regular Avengers teams cant or wont do.

Finally, based on my limited knowledge of the team and reading thru different forum wishlist, I thought of a roster for a team and wanted to get thoughts, approval, criticism whatever.. just to see if I can get a sense of the team. Here's my roster:

Taskmaster, Moonstone, Constrictor, Bishop, Sandman, Diamondback

Thoughts?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By Teerack

I don't know, but the current version of the Thunderbolts has nothing to actually do with the real Thunderbolts and is just marvel re-using a franchise name. Over all it's a bad series with a few good moments.

I just started reading Thunderbolts back in Civil War and never stopped, so start at issue 100 and go from there. If you like it enough you can go back and read 1-99.

I don't remember who was on the team at what times except for who was on it when it ended after the whole lost in time story line. The roster changes a lot. I know Taskmaster was around a lot though when Norman Osborn was running Hammer, but I think to really enjoy that era to it's fullest you're better off starting at issue 100 and reading the Zemo stuff.

I hope marvel is really beating itself up after dropping the original Thunderbolt cast and then just sorta destroying the franchise since now DC is having a ton of success with Suicide Squad, and Boomerang and Shocker went on to have an awesome series of their own with Superior Foes, so so so much squander potential.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@teerack: Thanks. That sounds reasonable to start from Civil War

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

@hawk2916: The team you've suggested is a good fit with the Civil War to Heroic Age team. You're not wrong about Marvel having two (three if we're counting X-Force) spec ops team, none of which are shining at the moment.

Have been waiting for a return to the old format for a while. Hopefully this going back to the old events can jump start something good (not holding my breath about it TBH). Maybe if the new Secret Six series does well it will convince them to take adequate tbolt action

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.