Heroic Age: Thunderbolts!

#1 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

SPOILER!!!!

Ok, now that that is out of the way, ready for the new line up of the Thunderbolts?

Luke Cage, Man-Thing, Ghost, Moonstone, Crossbones, and Juggernaut!

By TJ Dietsch

A new age sweeps over the Marvel Universe this year, an age where heroes will be heroes and villains just may become more than villains too.

At least, that's the plan with Jeff Parker's THUNDERBOLTS which gets a new modus operandi with May's issue #144. Luke Cage takes the reins of the new T-Bolts, who find themselves incarcerated on the Raft along with just about every other super-criminal in the world. The early line-up consists of familiar faces like Juggernaut, Crossbones, Ghost, Moonstone and... Man-Thing.

In contrast to the Thunderbolts' "villains masquerading as heroes" status quo of the past few years, these baddies will really be looking to earn their place on the side of angels-or so Cage hopes.

"Though the Thunderbolts program fell way, way off of what it was intended for once Norman Osborn took it over, some great things have come of it," Parker notes. "And some people high up want it incorporated into the facility where all super-criminals will be incarcerated, in hopes of rehabilitating a few of these people. The thinking being, there shouldn't have been so many heavies for Osborn to get on his side recently, let's try to create more heroes."

The eternal question of whether truly evil men and women can change will of course be at the forefront of the story, but one man in particular has some strong thoughts on the subject: Cage, a former criminal himself.

"Cage understands all about second chances and getting bad breaks in life," says Parker. "And he's hard enough to deal with the roughest this world has. He really brings the gravity and strength of character that reforming a program like this needs. Also, there will be limited support for the Thunderbolts because a lot of high-level government decision makers don't think it should exist at all, so it's really his reputation that the whole thing hinges on."

Cage and the new T-Bolts will have their work cut out for them proving themselves to the government, the super hero community at large and, more importantly, to themselves. Parker holds the fine details of their missions close to his vest, but does offer some information:

"There's fallout from recent events that needs to be dealt with, and also a lot of bad situations that were made worse by there not being a S.H.I.E.L.D. in place to handle things. There are ugly, nightmarish threats. But also there's a fair amount of dealing with life as a prisoner. Elements in the Raft still have influence, even locked away. You can imagine after working with pros like the Avengers, Luke is going to have a problem with an undisciplined team that doesn't watch each other's backs."

With so much going on both inside and outside the halls of the Raft, THUNDERBOLTS needs an artist who can handle everything from the mundane to the fantastic, and Parker thinks Kev Walker has what it takes.

"We're just now starting up, and I'm looking very forward to working with Kev," the writer shares. "I think he can hit the notes that this direction needs, and give readers heavies who show complexity. He can build a convincing world like few other artists.  It will be a fine looking thing! Mainly I want to see him draw Man-Thing."

Speaking of Man-

"You'll see," Parker promises. "He was arrested by H.A.M.M.E.R. in a recent issue of DARK AVENGERS, and it's been realized that he's a powerful creature to be on the loose who should be monitored more. But I don't want to give away too much about him yet. It, I mean."

Marvel.com
#2 Posted by crimsonspider89 (817 posts) - - Show Bio

I am excited. Man-Thing and Juggernaut on the same team. Am looking forward to Juggs shutting up Moonstone.

#3 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does Luke Cage seem pointless when you have Juggernaut on the team?

#4 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet Christmas! While I did like the idea of Luke being an Avenger, Luke leading the Thunderbolts does make a lot of sense.  

The team is...interesting. However, Luke as a team leader hooks me in.

#5 Posted by crimsonspider89 (817 posts) - - Show Bio

They need to have Juggs say these during an issue to Moonstone. 

I'M THE JUGGERNAUT B*****

Cage seems to be probably the leader with Man-Thing and Juggs being the muscle. Crossbones just taking the place of Bullseye and Ghost infiltration with Moonstone being the energy user.
#6 Posted by Halago (265 posts) - - Show Bio

BADASS!!

#7 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
"Why does Luke Cage seem pointless when you have Juggernaut on the team? "

U know why Luke is on the team, he's not "the tank" he's the leader
#8 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

I like where the book is going but I question the roster.  
I thought Juggernaut was officially a villian again. And Crossbones trying to be a good guy, I'm not buying that. I'd prefer if Man-Thing stays with the Legion of Monsters in the Punisher book, but what the heck.

#9 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio
@DMC said:
"

I thought Juggernaut was officially a villian again. And Crossbones trying to be a good guy, I'm not buying that. I'd prefer if Man-Thing stays with the Legion of Monsters in the Punisher book, but what the heck.

"

Crossbones trying to redeem himself is the one they need to sell me on. Everything else, I buy...except Crossbones.
#10 Posted by Fresh Prince (5155 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like an interesting team.

#11 Posted by War Killer (20260 posts) - - Show Bio
@lostlantern13 said:
"@DMC said:
"

"
Crossbones trying to redeem himself is the one they need to sell me on. Everything else, I buy...except Crossbones. "
I agree, you'd think he would rather want to pound Cap into the ground for setting his girlfriend on fire instead of joining a team.
#12 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Why the hell is Juggernaut on a team. Any team.

I mean, seriously, he could eliminate 90% of any opposition he were to face on his own. I don't see what he could add to the team dynamic either, so.....yeah.

#13 Edited by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh wow. im down with this. Thunderbolts hasnt failed me yet so im
sure theyve got this worked out.

got to add now i want to know how Siege ends for Ghost, since his
initial introduction in Dark Avengers #1 and everything thats played out since then.

#14 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
"@lostlantern13 said:
"@DMC said:
"

"
Crossbones trying to redeem himself is the one they need to sell me on. Everything else, I buy...except Crossbones. "
I agree, you'd think he would rather want to pound Cap into the ground for setting his girlfriend on fire instead of joining a team. "

Completely forgot about that. All the more reason to ask why Parker has him on this team
#15 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Worst team I've seen, cool addition of Crossbones..but nobody else fits in with the team, Man-Thing is a mystic creature..Juggernaut is a useless one dimensional character often used by little people to gain a tuff guy personality.

#16 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

Cage leading, I'm okay with. Man-Thing on the Thunderbolts? Not really. Moonstone returning to the team is okay, I guess. Ghost has been developing nicely, but he's iffy. Juggernaut has been flopping ever since World War Hulk...I'm not sure about him, it wasn't that long ago that he wanted to kill Xavier and got knocked around by Skaar. Crossbones doesn't really make sense to me, at all.

#17 Posted by Rune (302 posts) - - Show Bio

It cant be any worse then where the book is right now so i am happy

#18 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29505 posts) - - Show Bio

Only one I slightly care about is Ghost, really. This is just a sad uninteresting line up. Sorry folks, ya lost me after a few issues of post-Ellis. 

Good try though. 

Oh, and CROSSBONES, the crazy nazi who shot Cap, turning good?  

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!
#19 Posted by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this roster.  I think I picked a good jumping on point into comic books. I have a few comic books but i dont buythem monthly. I plan to start with the Heroic age with 
avengers 
secret avengers 
Thunderbolts  
Avengers academy 

and probably one or twoxmen titles. 

Cant wait for Man-THing.
#20 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

i wonder if they'll catch their mistake though. 
Man-Thing was broken out of custody since 
being captured in Dark Avengers and was
last seen running around in the old Morlock
Tunnels.

#21 Posted by k4tzm4n (45907 posts) - - Show Bio

....Most oddly formed team ever. Crossbones is a gun for hire, but they must have made him one amazing offer for him to do this...Especially after he got the flak for shooting Rogers.
Staff
#22 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: 
i like it. Thunderbolts has always been mismatched, sort of an example of characters that no one 
would believe is redeemable, and cant work together as a team, and opinion here defiantly agree's.
my favorite part of TBolts is the awkward conversations the characters have and the lack of trust both
being around each other and in the field. also its probably safe to say one of the characters might end
up not being who they appear to be as usual. i think its going to be a fun book, like i said before theyve
not really let me down yet, and when i first saw the DR team i thought no way will this work, but it did.
#23 Posted by k4tzm4n (45907 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE said:
" @k4tzm4n:  i like it. Thunderbolts has always been mismatched, sort of an example of characters that no one  would believe is redeemable, and cant work together as a team, and opinion here defiantly agree's. my favorite part of TBolts is the awkward conversations the characters have and the lack of trust both being around each other and in the field. also its probably safe to say one of the characters might end up not being who they appear to be as usual. i think its going to be a fun book, like i said before theyve not really let me down yet, and when i first saw the DR team i thought no way will this work, but it did. "

IMO Thundebolts has been the best title since #110.  I'm just....Sort of confused who will head this team and why they'll create it.
Staff
#24 Posted by Legacy_ (10610 posts) - - Show Bio

The team is to be on outside of the super max prison called the Raft.  If anyone went on CBR or Newsarama you would know the basis of this story =P 

My girl Songbird is gonna help Cage with this whole redemption program =D

#25 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: 
me too, but thats always been the idea and the fun part behind TBolts.
the first thing they do is make the reader ask alot of questions.
#26 Posted by k4tzm4n (45907 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE said:
" @k4tzm4n:  me too, but thats always been the idea and the fun part behind TBolts. the first thing they do is make the reader ask alot of questions. "

Alll too true.  I'm excited to see Crossbones finally have some appearances...Brubaker has been selling him rather short, IMO.
Staff
#27 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: 
agreed. all of them really. none of these people are going to get along. im already wondering if the fact
that theres two mystical heavyweights on board means anything too. also noted that Moonstone is there,
which might reinforce the theory that one of the Secret Avengers is Venom.
#28 Posted by Bio Guyver (6854 posts) - - Show Bio

Man-Thing, huh.

#29 Posted by k4tzm4n (45907 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE said:
" @k4tzm4n:  agreed. all of them really. none of these people are going to get along. im already wondering if the fact that theres two mystical heavyweights on board means anything too. also noted that Moonstone is there, which might reinforce the theory that one of the Secret Avengers is Venom. "

Moonstone isn' nearly as bad as Gargan, IMO.  Plus, she's actually clever where-as...Gargan, well, do I need to explain? I just hope they don't give Lester and Gargan the boot.  Perhaps they'll return as rogues to their counter-parts (SM, DD). 

Btw, could you check out my fan fic? Curious to see if you think I write Lester properly.
Staff
#30 Posted by crimsonspider89 (817 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I think Venom and Bullseye are going to turn against Norman towards the end. I think the first SA is either Toxin/Anti Venom/Venom.

#31 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

The Thunderbolts need Zemo. I'm tired of the lack of Zemo.

#32 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

I just hope Songbird gets placed somewhere during this change.

#33 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy: Unfortunately, Zemo is evil again and is gonna fight Cap.
Sorry.
#34 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cafeterialoca said:
" @iLLituracy: Unfortunately, Zemo is evil again and is gonna fight Cap. Sorry. "
That's dumb as all hell.
#35 Posted by Vance Astro (91262 posts) - - Show Bio

I know I didn't f#ckin see Juggernaut and Man-Thing..I know that's not what I saw!!!!

#36 Posted by Legacy_ (10610 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like how Brubaker is regressing Zemo back to his evil roots.  I'm upset how character development is seemingly ignored, but my final judgement will come once the book sits on my lap

#37 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" I know I didn't f#ckin see Juggernaut and Man-Thing..I know that's not what I saw!!!! "
Yeah, how f*()#%)(@#% lame is that
#38 Posted by Vance Astro (91262 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
" @Cafeterialoca said:
" @iLLituracy: Unfortunately, Zemo is evil again and is gonna fight Cap. Sorry. "
That's dumb as all hell. "

#39 Posted by Vance Astro (91262 posts) - - Show Bio
@Closure said:
" I don't like how Brubaker is regressing Zemo back to his evil roots.  I'm upset how character development is seemingly ignored, but my final judgement will come once the book sits on my lap "
How do you know it's the same dude? Also....IT'S BARON ZEMO! Why would he be a hero.He's a ZEMO!!!!
#40 Posted by Legacy_ (10610 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Closure said:
" I don't like how Brubaker is regressing Zemo back to his evil roots.  I'm upset how character development is seemingly ignored, but my final judgement will come once the book sits on my lap "
How do you know it's the same dude? Also....IT'S BARON ZEMO! Why would he be a hero.He's a ZEMO!!!! "

Well in the interview Brubaker said he was using Helmut and not the original baddy.  Zemo is bad but I would have preffered him to show up in the T-bolts before restarting some old shennagins.
#41 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @iLLituracy said:
" @Cafeterialoca said:
That's dumb as all hell. "

"
Where's that from?

I don't think it's Helmut, if it is, I doubt he just turned to evil again. I think it's that dude that was killing off the Zemo bloodline in his Born Better mini-series. Wendell was revealed to have been a descendant of the Zemo family.
#42 Posted by Vance Astro (91262 posts) - - Show Bio
@Closure said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @Closure said:
How do you know it's the same dude? Also....IT'S BARON ZEMO! Why would he be a hero.He's a ZEMO!!!! "
Well in the interview Brubaker said he was using Helmut and not the original baddy.  Zemo is bad but I would have preffered him to show up in the T-bolts before restarting some old shennagins. "
When he led the T-Bolts..he still had an evil agenda.
#43 Posted by Legacy_ (10610 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Closure said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @Closure said:
Well in the interview Brubaker said he was using Helmut and not the original baddy.  Zemo is bad but I would have preffered him to show up in the T-bolts before restarting some old shennagins. "
When he led the T-Bolts..he still had an evil agenda. "

I know...I just don't like Zemo purely evil.  I know him as the bastard who knew Songbird would betray him (I jumped on T-bolts right before Civil War).  Like I said I'm sorta upset with him just being a full fleged villain but I'll hold any judgement until the story hits stands.
#44 Posted by Vance Astro (91262 posts) - - Show Bio
@Closure said:
I know...I just don't like Zemo purely evil.  I know him as the bastard who knew Songbird would betray him (I jumped on T-bolts right before Civil War).  Like I said I'm sorta upset with him just being a full fleged villain but I'll hold any judgement until the story hits stands. "
C'mon Closure.It's the Heroic Age.If the real heroes are coming back.Why wouldn't the real villains.  

@iLLituracy said:
Where's that from?  I don't think it's Helmut, if it is, I doubt he just turned to evil again. I think it's that dude that was killing off the Zemo bloodline in his Born Better mini-series. Wendell was revealed to have been a descendant of the Zemo family. "
I think it's from an upcoming issue of Captain America.I'm not 100% on it though.
#45 Posted by Halago (265 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Closure said:
I know...I just don't like Zemo purely evil.  I know him as the bastard who knew Songbird would betray him (I jumped on T-bolts right before Civil War).  Like I said I'm sorta upset with him just being a full fleged villain but I'll hold any judgement until the story hits stands. "
C'mon Closure.It's the Heroic Age.If the real heroes are coming back.Why wouldn't the real villains.  

@iLLituracy said:
Where's that from?  I don't think it's Helmut, if it is, I doubt he just turned to evil again. I think it's that dude that was killing off the Zemo bloodline in his Born Better mini-series. Wendell was revealed to have been a descendant of the Zemo family. "
I think it's from an upcoming issue of Captain America.I'm not 100% on it though. "
Zemo evil again....omfg it really is turning back into the 90s!! HALLELUAH~~

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.