Review: Thunderbolts #149

Posted by Zack Freeman (314 posts) - - Show Bio
The T-Bolts' anti-Hand rescue operation gets much, much nastier when Crossbones discover that he's gained some powers from the Terrigen Mists.

The Good

I've been reading T-Bolts since it first launched after Onslaught and this has been one of the most interesting line-ups so far. From catty Moonstone to awkward Ghost to sadistic Crossbones, Parker gives each member of the team a distinct voice and M.O. Actually, speaking of the M.O.'s, this had some seriously badass action. I genuinely wasn't prepared for the Underhand's take-down of Man-Thing and I could't help but cackle at how Crossbones handled these ninjas. It's not all ecstatic carnage, though - - this issue ends with one wrenching twist that's very much in line with the noirish tone.

The Bad

You know, I love how stylish half-tones can look when they're properly used, but they seemed to have been included  indiscriminately here.  Rather than be included to convey shading, they're just put over computer colors that already have plenty of tonality. The result's a little distracting because, more often than not, the tones look almost like a printing error.

The Verdict - 4.5/5

Like I keep saying, I'm a sucker for supervillain books (or quasi-supervillain books) and this is the other half of a great combo with Secret Six.  Actually, for another point of comparison, I enjoy this book the same way I enjoyed League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - - you have  bunch of extreme, unsavory personalities bumping heads and it's almost impossible to predict what they're going to do. Thus, it's a lot more interesting to watch what unfolds here than it is to see the usual class-act superheroes you find in these books.
#1 Posted by DoubleFang (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait to pick up this issue before it runs out at my local comic shop
#2 Posted by gear237 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, i also have been reading thunderbolts since in started after onslaught.  My favorite runs have been ellis + deodato and parker + walker for combination of great art and writing.

#3 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

Good issue.

#4 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Aside from Warren Ellis' stuff, I don't recall when I've loved this book this much since the old days

#5 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss the old days. It's great that some of the original T-bolts are back in this book. 

#6 Edited by longbowhunter (7266 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, Crossbones what a dick!! I've read this title off and on since around Civil War. This new line up and creative team is one of the best. I'm so suprised by "The Herioc Age". It been a really long time since I followed this many Marvel titles.
#7 Posted by Ry Fryy (370 posts) - - Show Bio

Do I need to read this if I pick up Thunderbolts #150?

#8 Posted by sparty-dbq (815 posts) - - Show Bio

And to think, two issues ago I was actually rooting for Crossbones.

#9 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

It is developing into quite a strong book and sort of Marvel's own Secret Six. Though not on the same level obviously. SS may be the current best book in the industry.

#10 Posted by Nyogtha (353 posts) - - Show Bio

This one of the best issues of this new run. I was so excited for this title when I heard about the new direction and it has exceeded my expectations every issue.

#11 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to agree. This was a really good issue...and Jeff Parker's doing a fantastic job with this team. Even in the crossover with "Shadowland," Parker doesn't lose the focus of his own plan with what he has planned. 

This easily is my favorite Marvel book right now.

#12 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just happy for poor Man-Thing, finally having a role in the Marvel U :)

#13 Posted by spider-man 2996 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

Would 150 be a good jumping on point?
#14 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Man-Thing in a new book!!! *runs to comic store*

#15 Posted by Sobe Cin (599 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss Zemo.....
#16 Posted by Jake Fury (18928 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeff Parker rules. This title almost makes me forgive them for cancelling Atlas.
#17 Posted by Jake Fury (18928 posts) - - Show Bio
@spider-man 2996:
Yes. Its the beginning of the arc with the Avengers.
#18 Posted by Vrykolakas (106 posts) - - Show Bio

Love how Crossbones had the spotlight for this issue, showing his new found powers. I hope he gets his own mini-series!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.