shawn87's Thunderbolts: Burning Down The House #1 - Burning Down The House review

• shawn87 wrote this review on .
  • shawn87 has written a total of 597 reviews. The last one was for

Birth Of A New Thunderbolts Team

The Story:
After the Secret Invasion ended, Norman Osborn was placed in charge of S.H.I.E.L.D. which he disbanded and created H.A.M.M.E.R. instead. He had Moonstone take care of Penance and sent Bullseye and Venom after Songbird who managed to escape. Norman Osborn meets with the President and Leonard Samson on Air Force One. Samson attempts to discredit Osborn for recent activities he committed as the Green Goblin. Norman denies the allegations and accuses Samson of working with the Green Goblin. Norman creates a new team of Thunderbolts who execute a plan to attack Air Force One. Headsman, one of the new members dressed as the Green Goblin and pretended to be working with Samson to make Osborn look good. The President decided to give Osborn the benefit of the doubt for the meantime. The new team of Thunderbolts prepare for Deadpool who they believe is going to break into Avengers Tower.

My Thoughts:
Andy Diggle begins his eleven issue run on the Thunderbolts series. He wastes absolutely no time in disbanding the team and unleashing havoc between team members. I liked the lineup the Thunderbolts had for the most part but seeing that three of those members are now on Osborns Dark Avengers, it's only fitting that if the Thunderbolts series was going to continue it would have to be rebuilt all over. The new team doesn't seem that impressive at first glance but who knows, maybe they could turn out to be pretty awesome. We didn't really get to see much of them here as they just came together in the last issue.

I do hope they continue to do something with Songbird though and just don't forget about her. I feel there's opportunity to do something awesome with her after finishing this volume. They should have her either come back after Osborn or something involving this new team of Thunderbolts. Andy Diggle shed a little more light as to how exactly Norman Osborn rose to power after the invasion. His meeting with the President aboard Air Force One was nicely designed.

The art is by Robert De La Torre who is probably best known for his work on the Ms Marvel series. He is a pretty good artist and I have always liked his art. I found his art a perfect fit for the Thunderbolts series and was satisfied by the job he did.

This was definitely an action-packed and entertaining volume worth the read. I'm not sure how entertaining the new team will be but what happens next should be good since they're going up against Deadpool.

Rating: 3.5/5
Posted by Silkcuts

Good to know I can wait to read this.

Posted by shawn87
@Silkcuts said:
" Good to know I can wait to read this.
I WAS a HUGE Diggle fan from his Vertigo books, mostly because of Hellblazer, but when he went to Marvel I have only read his punisher books.  I have yet yo be sold to get his Tunderbolts. "
This was a decent read. It won't blow you away or anything and it's not his best work but it's still enjoyable. But I would recommend getting caught up on the series beforehand. One of my favorite Diggle books is Green Arrow: Year One. I really enjoyed that
Posted by Silkcuts
@shawn87:  I enjoyed all of Diggle's DC Book.  Green Arrow was great, same with Adam Strange. This is why I was interested in Diggle's Marvel books.  I read all of his DC books, I never had Rat Catcher before it came out.