theacidskull's Thunderbolts #14 review

Good Team, But They Are Not The Thunderbolts.

as I've probably mentioned This BEFORE, I didn't Like Thunderbolts, because Daniel Way Ruined a lot of good things about the characters l love. Charles souls singular issues were Good, Not spectacular but good, but thats the thing, it was a a singular issue, so there really was not point in judging unless i got to see him write a Book with the whole team.

before i move on to the story, i'd like to mention a few things about the art. I am not a fan to Be Honest, i did not like palo's Work on the Incredible Hulk as i found it to be out of Proportion and cartoony. here it seems much better, the characters Designs are Cool and the story telling isn't all to bad, though During the actions scenes again, the Bodies are out of proportion, seriously, it makes me uncomfortable simply just by looking at it.

The Characterization was Good here IMO, red hulk acted like himself and i find it very IN Character for Ross to Keep his word. At this Point it would make sense that he'd have learned his lesson and it actually shows that Jeff Parkers Redemption series is still intact( THANK GOD). Elektra didn't say much aside for a few comments(which is Fine, she's the silent One), and deadpool was obviously being deadpool, but unlike he's general appearances he had limited but funny moments. I like that Charles Is focusing On Frank First, it seems the he knows Punisher well and it would make sense that he'd use him first to master the others.

The story is simple enough, but it does seem that it's building up to something, which is always interesting. It seems to be leading in one Direction but the Issue does suggest that Things will go south really quickly. Also i Do like that a lot of things are tied to continuity such as Deadpool having The White Mans( yes, that's actually a name) Hat. So far Charles Soule has convinced me here that his writing is good, so i am on board for now, But only because i Like the characters here. However It's going to be REALLY tough Breaking away from the crap Danial way has written for 11 issues.

Now the reason i gave this a 3 is because, while well written, it's not really the Thunderbolts because it has nothing to do with them. See Marvel use's the Names of well known Teams and then it turns out that it has nothing to do with the actual Title. they did the same thing With NEW AVENGERS which in reality should have been called the Illuminati. See this is very bad, because True thunderbolt fans are gonna be mad, i know i'm 14 issues late on this but i decided to mention this now. You can only pick this book up if you like the characters, No other real reason.

Recommendation: only if you are a fan of the characters, if you like Thunderbolts you might be disappointed.

Edited by TDK_1997

Great review man!

@tdk_1997 said:

Great review man!

Thanks Bud :)

Posted by DrunkVader

hard to make red hulk and deadpool suck but he did it....and how

hard to make red hulk and deadpool suck but he did it....and how

Red hulk was Only cool with Jeff parker, Soule seems to get it, but Way just Shat on everything >_>

Posted by DecoyElite

Nice review, good to hear this book is getting better about characterization.
Although I still don't buy these guys working together.

Posted by Bionder

They should have changed the name of this book, any of these characters have nothing to do with previous T-Bolts. But i'm glad that Soule is doing it right.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

Nice review, good to hear this book is getting better about characterization.

Although I still don't buy these guys working together.

yeah, but i can understand it in some way.

@bionder said:

Yup!

Posted by ogg927

I think Charles Soule is doing a great job on Thunderbolts. I'm eagerly awaiting the next issue. As good as the writing has been, I'm very disappointed in the art. Jefte Palo has done a good job on other books in the past, but his recent art looks horrible IMO.

Posted by lykopis

I have to agree about the name of the book -- nothing Thunderboltish about it and yes, anyone picking this up must be fans of the characters (which is me for Elektra) and all I can say is thank the gawds she's not the groups' f*ck bunny (pardon my Kling-on) although there was a cute moment between Venom and Deadpool.

I do like the idea of them pursuing each member's want list and starting with Frank makes sense except I have a niggling feeling they are going with the strongest story angle. I do think characterization-wise, Frank came across well as did Rulk and I guess Deadpool (although more through his choice of hat than anything else) but one thing I do know, I am enjoying the book more than before.

The art was...unique. Cartoonish, I have to admit and I was laughing at some panels but considering how much worse it could have been, I am drinking lemonade at this point.

Great review! :)

@lykopis said:

Great review! :)

Thank you so much and yes, the Book has vastly improved :)

Posted by Deadpool_9

Did they explain how Punisher got out of the Avengers' prison in this issue? If so, mind sharing the explanation?

Posted by TheAcidSkull

Nope. He's just out I guess, simply JUST like that.