Follow

Thunderbolt Ross

Character » Thunderbolt Ross appears in 1614 issues.

Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross is former U.S. military general. He is father of Bruce Banner's love Betty Ross and was archenemy of the Incredible Hulk. Ross made a deal with villains to be transformed into a Hulk himself. As the ruthless and cunning Red Hulk, he attempted to destroy his nemesis and take control of the country before seeking redemption as an Avenger. After leaving the team, he formed his own group of Thunderbolts with other Anti-Heroes. He was recently depowered by Doctor Green.

Who do YOU think the Red Hulk is?

• 78 results
    John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By John_Feaster

I've got an idea that he's a Gestalt - if I may toss arond a five-dollar word - of Doc Samson, Thunderbolt Ross, Glenn Talbot and the Missing Link. Anyone else got any reasonable ideas?

The Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The Scientist

No idea, they totally put me off when Quesada threw Ares into the suggestion ...

The Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The Scientist

Alright nevemind, i read the last issue, its not ares, its not ross, and its not doc samson, it has to be someone who was used as a project FOR them

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Resonate

Which only leaves Juarez the jewish mexican ninja

John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By John_Feaster

Actually, it may still be Ross and Samson. Those might have been mental projections or suggestions from the Red Hulks mind, rejecting the Red Hulk. Still...it could be Glen Talbot. He's the only other one who used the name "Hulk" as a descriptive regularly, and that's what the Red Hulk does when yelling at him in this isse. And the Missing Link? Look him up some time. A huge, pink or red skinned (it depended on who was coloring him) fellow who was about as strong as the Hulk...and who (just like the Red Hulk is shown) grew HOTTER the longer he fought!

I think that Missing Link connection is a relitive point. The Link was last shown in government possession, and that can mean anything.

bioghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bioghost

it could be mix result of a hulk and sentry after they fought. god know what happen when you shoot ant-gamma ray with hulk and sentry in the mix.
    or it could be grey from gamma corp since he the only recent wannbee hulk so far and got a power up.

The Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The Scientist
    John_Feaster said:
    "   Actually, it may still be Ross and Samson. Those might have been mental projections or suggestions from the Red Hulks mind, rejecting the Red Hulk. Still...it could be Glen Talbot. He's the only other one who used the name "Hulk" as a descriptive regularly, and that's what the Red Hulk does when yelling at him in this isse. And the Missing Link? Look him up some time. A huge, pink or red skinned (it depended on who was coloring him) fellow who was about as strong as the Hulk...and who (just like the Red Hulk is shown) grew HOTTER the longer he fought!

I think that Missing Link connection is a relitive point. The Link was last shown in government possession, and that can mean anything."
    so Samson shooting A-Bomb in the back and dragging him a way while red hulk was still lying there was a mental projection?
    John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By John_Feaster

Yes, I've wrestled with that one. Perhaps they were there in a physical sense then, but not before. There has to be some connection with the fact that they just seem to be there after the fight. Also, Ross is wearing the same uniform he wore on the Helicarrier, with not a drop of sweat to show he'd been waiting in the desert for them to show. Perhaps when they...seperated (un-gestalted?) they were there in a physical sense, but not before. If you will, they were playing the "Rick Jones" to the Red Hulks "Captain Marvel"

Still, I think the gestalt idea works. And Glen Talbot fits in there, dang it! And the similarities with the Missing Link are too obvious!

Watch. It'll turn out to be Uncle Ben back from the dead.

startsumtin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By startsumtin

It can't be Glen Talbot. The Gamma corp killed Glen Talbot in their first mission. But it would have to be someone that knows Bruce's Family tree, someone that has clearence to the gamma base, and most importantly someone who really htes the hulk. I have no real answer yet but I'll post it when I come up with one. Also I can't be the missing link, because if you notice when the red hulk got too hot he became weaker. the missing link explodes with no sign of him losing strength. we are back to square one. Plus Hulk can just find the red hulk anywhere he is; and A-bomb can find hulk were ever he is. what's the conncetion?

SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By SilverZeo

Maybe Betty had a Bruce's baby without his knowledge and that's the red Hulk. Long shot I know, but it kinda happen before with other characters.

Venom-Hulker_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Venom-Hulker_1

What about a Hulk and abomination clone?
    I eman He could be thnk about it Abom's Military Strategy, Hulk's Body, Blonsky once reffered to banner as a milksop
    and maybe he's out to kill them so that No other Rulks can be created!!

Kado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kado

has anyone found out yet?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By John Valentine
    Kado said:
    "has anyone found out yet?"

Amadeus Cho.
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By geraldthesloth

Doc samson is my vote

Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
    The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John_Feaster said:
    The Missing Link.
    That's my guess.
    The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By The WeatherMan

A dumba$$ character written to capitalize on the popularity of the Hulk. I swear I hate his guts.

Villelater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Villelater
    The WeatherMan said:
    "A dumba$$ character written to capitalize on the popularity of the Hulk. I swear I hate his guts."
    well i think Hulk does not have enough popularity....and maybe the Vision can help you find them? =]
    conan2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By conan2099

As I was reading it I though it was Doc Samson, but at the end of it I knew it was not him. I don't even have a guess at this point, but its killing me. I want to know!!

No Caption Provided
    Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Slinger

I think it's your mom. That's right YOURS!

Venom-Hulker_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Venom-Hulker_1
    John_Feaster said:
    "   Actually, it may still be Ross and Samson. Those might have been mental projections or suggestions from the Red Hulks mind, rejecting the Red Hulk. Still...it could be Glen Talbot. He's the only other one who used the name "Hulk" as a descriptive regularly, and that's what the Red Hulk does when yelling at him in this isse. And the Missing Link? Look him up some time. A huge, pink or red skinned (it depended on who was coloring him) fellow who was about as strong as the Hulk...and who (just like the Red Hulk is shown) grew HOTTER the longer he fought!

I think that Missing Link connection is a relitive point. The Link was last shown in government possession, and that can mean anything."
    the problem with the missing link theory is Rulk would have blown up by Now!
    Bullseye1930

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bullseye1930

It's Daredevil! Just wait, you'll hear Red Hulk yell: "Murdock SMASH!!!".

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Bullseye1930 said:
    "It's Daredevil! Just wait, you'll hear Red Hulk yell: "Murdock SMASH!!!"."
    That would make 0 sense.
    Bullseye1930

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bullseye1930
    Vance Astro said:
    "Bullseye1930 said:
    That would make 0 sense.
    "
    Of course it does. Murdock has represented Hulk in the past and maybe he's mad that Hulk hasn't paid his legal bills.
    Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
    The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Venom-Hulker_1 said:
    the problem with the missing link theory is Rulk would have blown up by Now!"
    That's what it seemed like, but they never actually showed the Missing Link get blown up.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Wolverine

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By John Valentine

Drifter's mum.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Slinger said:
    "I think it's your mom. That's right YOURS!"

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By John Valentine
    John Valentine said:
    "Drifter's mum."

Sheep-Kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 24

#29  Edited By Sheep-Kill

Hmmm.  Lets see, What viliian or her haven't we heard from lately?

girth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By girth

The madder he gets the hotter he becomes. I say it is someone who could control fire that merged with the radiation.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Girth said:
    "The madder he gets the hotter he becomes. I say it is someone who could control fire that merged with the radiation.
    Hulk gets hotter when he gets madder as well..just not on the level Red Hulk does.

Bullseye1930 said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Bullseye1930 said:
    That would make 0 sense.
    "
    Of course it does. Murdock has represented Hulk in the past and maybe he's mad that Hulk hasn't paid his legal bills.
    "
    Murdock has also been Daredevil throughout the whole Red Hulk saga..I'm pretty sure there are several instances that would have pissed him off enough to turn into the Hulk in his comics.
    Bullseye1930

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bullseye1930
    Vance Astro said:
    "Girth said:
    "The madder he gets the hotter he becomes. I say it is someone who could control fire that merged with the radiation.
    Hulk gets hotter when he gets madder as well..just not on the level Red Hulk does.

Bullseye1930 said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Bullseye1930 said:
    That would make 0 sense.
    "
    "
    Murdock has also been Daredevil throughout the whole Red Hulk saga..I'm pretty sure there are several instances that would have pissed him off enough to turn into the Hulk in his comics.
    "

I don't know. You ever see what happens when a lawyer gets stiffed on his bills? (Side Note: I'm gonna say Wolverine is also a possibility, he's already in every other book that Marvel has.)
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Bullseye1930 said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Girth said:

Bullseye1930 said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Bullseye1930 said:
    That would make 0 sense.
    "
    "
    "

I don't know. You ever see what happens when a lawyer gets stiffed on his bills? (Side Note: I'm gonna say Wolverine is also a possibility, he's already in every other book that Marvel has.)"
    Murdock isn't Red Hulk and neither is Wolverine.Anger makes people turn into Red Hulk..both have been angry enough since Red Hulk appeared to turn into Hulk..but the didn't.Therefore it isn't them!
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#34  Edited By The_Martian

I seriously have no clue who Red Hulk could be now. Every choice I have thought of have been proved wrong.

Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Matezoide2

i still say it is Samsom

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#36  Edited By The_Martian
    Matezoide said:
    "i still say it is Samsom"
    But they showed Samson at the same time Red Hulk was around.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Korg

It's Jeph Loeb.

Bob-A-Ferret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bob-A-Ferret

Sounds to me like no one has taken how gamma radiation affects different people in the marvel universe. So lets look at this from the science of marvel and think this through..

Lets start with Bruce
    Bruce Banner though a genius was hindered by fears of abuse, caused by his fathers murder of his mother. Bruces mind has segregate his mind into mutiple partsto protect other from his true fear becoming his father and angry at that but finding strength in that anger. When exposed to gamma radiation he releases the strengths of his character he has so long denied. 
    Hulk (Green) who is the infantile tantrum holding child who does everything mommy says and runs away from authority.
    Hulk (Grey) Teenage or adolescent Bruce who has a hard time finding his place in the world and finding solace in the criminal element
    Hulk (Mr Fixit) Older more literate adolesent who has found a place of acceptance.
    Hulk (Smart) The colmantion of all previous Hulks a sound intellegent adult.
    And so on and so forth.

Abomination a Russian spy who has an inferiority complex, issues with authority. And let us not forget a writhing hate for America, and himself.
    This turns him into a strong but disfigured creature who is drawn to sewers like a flushed pet croc, with skin much like the slimy croc he potrays himself as. Hmm seems fitting he is what he is.

Doc Sampson here we have a well rounded indvidual who when exposed gained strength of body to go with his strength of mind. And following his religious beliefs gains strengh by the length of his hair.

Leader here we have a genius who thinks true strength comes from the mind nt the body so much so that he has a superiority complex. So he changes into a super brain with and expanded braincase later semi exposed brain. Fitting again

She Hulk wow a little girl who has become a smart intellegent lawyer who wishes nothing more than to be super model with the strength of character todo anything. and she turns into a supermodel with no fear.

Hmm I see a pattern here the more complex the mind the more sides of the personality they have the more diverse and strong the monster they become is.
    So using these examples We have some one who is  full of rage and hate has an explosive personality who is a shrwed tactitian and a superiority complex and gains strength fro, not anger but hate.Who has a personal beef with Hulk. Meaning this person has been involved with hulk from very early on and has developed more than a superficial hate of ththe hilk AS such it is someone we all know and recognize if we have been reading Hulk.

My first guess would have been Gen. Ross but Ross has been removed from the list as he came up to a fallen red hulk and expresed disapointment as if he knew this person would fail like he had before. So the list becomes pretty short pretty quick It is one of the 2 Talbots oh yeah there is 2 Talbots one who is presumed dead very early on and the second who hates hulk for the MIA status of his brother.Before it is learned that he has become Grey of the Gamma Corps. Both are fair to good tactiaians with minor flaws in there planning both hate Bruce as no other niether respect women in anyway and both use women as a tool. Both Barreled forward with out thinking things through. And both have a superiority complex that  is only matched by their ego.Both have been missing for a while. that said and being grey has already been exposed and we have seen the result. I see one option Glenn Talbot is the only feesable choice not already exposed to Gamma radiation and the only one who hates the hulk to that degree.

Avatar image for alexander_anderson
    Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Korg said:
    "It's Jeph Loeb."
    This.  Red Hulk is the physical manifestation of Loeb's rage and grief over the death of his son.  It really is that simple.

Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Watch Dog

General John Ryker

kingdalek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kingdalek

Agent X (the X on his face, not sure if he got it as Red Hulk in a fight), Samual Sterns (The Leader) or maybe even an alternate Brue Banner

scuzz2.0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#42  Edited By scuzz2.0

when are they going to stop dragging it out and just tell us?

John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By John_Feaster

I suggest again that it's the Missing Link (an old foe of the hulk with red skin who grew hotter the longer he used his great strength), and the lastes line from issue 12, about how after causing the Hulk to lose Jarella again, he had left the Hulk "...with a broken heart. Just as you left me, Banner."

Now, my first thought is again Glenn Talbot, as he HATED the Hulk with an undying fury, and blamed Banner and the Hulk for ruining his marrage to Betty Ross.

But...if not Glenn Talbot...then who else did Bruce Banner either leave with a "Broken heart" or ruin somehow?

PhsycoPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PhsycoPirate

hey  think doc strange has something to do with it??

No Caption Provided
                                                             from new avengers annual #2
                                                             This takes place almost right after doc strange tries to fight hulk in wwh
    Avatar image for the_crimson_nutcase
    The Crimson Nutcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a few guesses but i doubt their right...

Avatar image for incredible_hulk_prime
    Incredible Hulk-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I wonder could Rulk be Grey Hulk(who some who came out of Bruce Banner's head)
     who was fused  with Johnny Storm's DNA  and merged with more radiation. That could be possible seeing who Rulk has the same hair style as Grey Hulk.

John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By John_Feaster
    @jjared01 said:
    "

My guess is General Talbollt
    (YEAH FIRST POST!!!!)

"

When did Talbot hit the rank of General? Then again...I might have missed something.

Also, glad to see you posting ;>)

cdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By cdw

Is it possible that its a woman? Red being a woman scorn.... I don't know just a thought!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

It's Stan Lee.Remember the Simpson's episode where he said "I really did it once" referring to becoming the Hulk.He finally figured out how to control it.He's Rulk now.

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By Nahero
    @Incredible Hulk-Prime said:
    " I wonder could Rulk be Grey Hulk(who some who came out of Bruce Banner's head) who was fused  with Johnny Storm's DNA  and merged with more radiation. That could be possible seeing who Rulk has the same hair style as Grey Hulk. "
    that dosen't explain the red skin he dosen't flame on ya know no offense

and even if that were true grey hulk can't gain strength through anger his strength limited and red hulk can absord energy while grey guy can't

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.